PDA

View Full Version : Peach help

pirate4state
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
We have all these peaches, STILL and are trying to freeze some. Anyone have any simple ways to do this? I've found one "guide" that calls for ascorbic acid. Can I go to HEB/Wal-Mart and buy that stuff? Anyway. Lots & lots of peaches and I'd hate for them to go to waste. Any help would be appreciated.

Who wants a peach cobbler? I'm trying out a recipe now and I don't like baked fruit. LOL.

Guess I better see how it turns out before I start giving it away.

sinton66
06-23-2007, 03:44 PM
I LOVE peach cobbler. Sign me up! Peaches freeze well without any preservative as long as you use them right away upon defrosting. Might be worth it to use a Food Saver device that vacuum packs the freezer bag to prolong life in the freezer. At a minimum, get all the air out of the bag and when using "ziplock" bags, double bag them. You can use quart bags for the fruit, then place multiples of those in gallon size bags.

Ascorbic acid is available practically anywhere as Vitamin "C". In food preservative terms, it is basically an antioxidant.

kaorder1999
06-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I can honestly say that i have NEVER tried Peach Cobbler!

sinton66
06-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

Well, if you ever become a coach at Sinton, you can try it any Sunday at Butter Churn.;) (and, they have a soft serve vanilla ice cream machine right beside it.)

kaorder1999
06-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Well, if you ever become a coach at Sinton, you can try it any Sunday at Butter Churn.;) (and, they have a soft serve vanilla ice cream machine right beside it.)

maybe it will happen!!

pirate4state
06-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Okay, cobbler is out of the oven. I don't like baked fruit so I don't know if it is any good or not. LOL. Are you suppose to eat it warm out of the oven or let it sit for a little while?

sinton66
06-23-2007, 04:04 PM
It is excellant with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and served hot.

sinton66
06-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Although we never had ice cream with us, I used to make peach cobbler in dutch ovens on campouts with my Boy Scout Troop.

pirate4state
06-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I LOVE peach cobbler. Sign me up! Peaches freeze well without any preservative as long as you use them right away upon defrosting. Might be worth it to use a Food Saver device that vacuum packs the freezer bag to prolong life in the freezer. At a minimum, get all the air out of the bag and when using "ziplock" bags, double bag them. You can use quart bags for the fruit, then place multiples of those in gallon size bags.

Ascorbic acid is available practically anywhere as Vitamin "C". In food preservative terms, it is basically an antioxidant.

So why do they want to confuse me by using fancy words? Why not just say Vitamin C? :rolleyes: :o :D

GOFOR2
06-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
We have all these peaches, STILL and are trying to freeze some. Anyone have any simple ways to do this? I've found one "guide" that calls for ascorbic acid. Can I go to HEB/Wal-Mart and buy that stuff? Anyway. Lots & lots of peaches and I'd hate for them to go to waste. Any help would be appreciated.

Who wants a peach cobbler? I'm trying out a recipe now and I don't like baked fruit. LOL.

Dude, you need to let me know when you do make the peach cobbler. I will bring the ice cream! :)

pirate4state
06-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
Dude, you need to let me know when you do make the peach cobbler. I will bring the ice cream! :) HA! I already made the first one. Turned out okay or so I was told. Going out to get more supplies. I'll bring one by a little later. ;)

sinton66
06-23-2007, 06:35 PM
So why do they want to confuse me by using fancy words? Why not just say Vitamin C? :rolleyes: :o :D

I believe Vitamin C is the common name and ascorbic acid is the scientific name. Counter available Vitamin C may contain other ingredients, but should work as well as the powdered ascorbic acid. I use ascorbic acid in some of my wine recipes, and generally buy it from home brew stores when I need it. I have substituted vitamin C when I ran out though.

pancho villa
06-23-2007, 08:49 PM
This is goofy

luvhoops34
06-23-2007, 09:24 PM
I believe Vitamin C is the common name and ascorbic acid is the scientific name. Counter available Vitamin C may contain other ingredients, but should work as well as the powdered ascorbic acid. I use ascorbic acid in some of my wine recipes, and generally buy it from home brew stores when I need it. I have substituted vitamin C when I ran out though.

You make homemade wine?? mmmmm, good!:D

sinton66
06-23-2007, 09:50 PM

WOO-HOO! Thanks for the cobbler, and it's EXCELLENT!!!:clap:

burnet44
06-23-2007, 10:02 PM

thats wrong

luvhoops34
06-23-2007, 10:03 PM

Why did he get cobbler??? Where's mine??? I want some peach cobbler.;)

luvhoops34
06-23-2007, 10:06 PM

Are you from Texas?? :)

JasperDog94
06-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Why did he get cobbler??? Where's mine??? I want some peach cobbler.;) mmmmmmm.....cobblerrrrrrrrrr.....ahhhhhhhh.....

sinton66
06-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Why did he get cobbler??? Where's mine??? I want some peach cobbler.;)

I asked for it and was willing to drive into downtown Odem to get it.;)

sinton66
06-23-2007, 10:16 PM
You make homemade wine?? mmmmm, good!:D

Yep. Guess what happened to the last batch of Fredricksburg peaches I had.

luvhoops34
06-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I asked for it and was willing to drive into downtown Odem to get it.;)

Yea, but you don't live as far away as I do......:(

sinton66
06-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Yea, but you don't live as far away as I do......:(

I suppose I could email you a picture of it.:D

luvhoops34
06-23-2007, 10:44 PM
I suppose I could email you a picture of it.:D

You do, and there is no place you can hide from me!:mad: :eek: :D

sinton66
06-23-2007, 10:46 PM
You do, and there is no place you can hide from me!:mad: :eek: :D

:D :D :D

pirate4state
06-23-2007, 10:55 PM

De nada. Whew peeling all those peaches and making 6 of those suckers is exhausting. LOL. Actually, it is a very simple recipe and the hardest/longest part is the peeling of the peaches. Ugh.

Carole - I'd be willing to meet you at the Wal-Mart in 5pts sometime tomorrow. I need to get rid of these peaches somehow.

LH Panther Mom
06-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Do they still make "Fruit Fresh"? I seem to remember my mom using that back in the day.

sinton66
06-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Yes, they do, and it would work just as well.

Pudlugger
06-24-2007, 09:16 AM

Why don't you can them? Peach preserves and canned peaches ..yum yum.

pirate4state
06-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Why don't you can them? Peach preserves and canned peaches ..yum yum. We've canned some of them. Will probably make some preserves at some point, but when I say alot of peaches, I really mean ALOT OF PEACHES!! LOL.

I've given so many away and there are still so many left on 3 trees and then there is another tree that borders our yard and what used to be my uncle's place (no one lives there now) and that tree probably won't be ready until next month, but those peaches already have really good size. :)

AP Panther Fan
06-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Rita....my peach cobbler turned out great yesterday. I wanted to try it, before sharing the recipe I used. Anyway, I didn't have to peel the peaches...just cut off the ends, removed any dark spots, removed the pit and then sliced. The most difficult part of my recipe was cutting in the butter...think I will use a mixer next time.

It was my Sinton Pirate Peach Cobbler....thanks again for the special delivery the other day!:D

Here's the recipe (http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blpie35.htm) I used. I am looking forward to leftovers for lunch today!;)

LH Panther Mom
06-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
The most difficult part of my recipe was cutting in the butter...think I will use a mixer next time.

Did you use two knives? :eek: :eek: I have a butter-cutter thingy I use. :D

AP Panther Fan
06-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Did you use two knives? :eek: :eek: I have a butter-cutter thingy I use. :D

YES! I need a thingy like yours....I think I remember what they look like.

Keep in mind, you are talking to the person that really doesn't enjoy cooking, but is darned pleased with herself when something goes right.:D

District303aPastPlayer
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
If anyone wants to let me have peach cobbler.. Portland HEB between noon and 830 today :)

AP Panther Fan
06-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
If anyone wants to let me have peach cobbler.. Portland HEB between noon and 830 today :)

I am pretty nice Aaron, but driving to Portland on my lunch break to deliver cobbler is....is.....is a no. Did you ever go over to Rita's and pick some?:)

District303aPastPlayer
06-25-2007, 10:01 AM
I am pretty nice Aaron, but driving to Portland on my lunch break to deliver cobbler is....is.....is a no. Did you ever go over to Rita's and pick some?:)

Ha. No. :)

pirate4state
06-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Rita....my peach cobbler turned out great yesterday. I wanted to try it, before sharing the recipe I used. Anyway, I didn't have to peel the peaches...just cut off the ends, removed any dark spots, removed the pit and then sliced. The most difficult part of my recipe was cutting in the butter...think I will use a mixer next time.

It was my Sinton Pirate Peach Cobbler....thanks again for the special delivery the other day!:D

Here's the recipe (http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blpie35.htm) I used. I am looking forward to leftovers for lunch today!;)

:cheerl: I made 7 8x8 pans of peach cobbler over the weekend. :eek: :eek: Oye! Anyway - the recipe I used was very simple and everyone said they loved it.

Aaron - mom dropped some cobbler off at your grandparent's house yesterday. Though, I doubt there is any left. LOL.

District303aPastPlayer
06-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Aaron - mom dropped some cobbler off at your grandparent's house yesterday. Though, I doubt there is any left. LOL.

grrr.