PDA

View Full Version : Hutto's Jeremy Kerley Is Central Texas Player Of The Year!!

ILS1
06-22-2007, 07:03 PM
By Jake Trotter

AMERICAN STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, June 22, 2007

Any one of Jeremy Kerley's four athletic seasons at Hutto High School this past year would have made for a fine accomplishment.

And even though Central Texas athletes won state titles — from Liberty Hill winning a Class 3A state football championship, to Wimberley's fifth state volleyball crown in eight years, to Thorndale winning it all in boys basketball — no athlete produced the across-the-board year, or career, that the Hippos' quarterback, cornerback, point guard, pitcher, shortstop and triple-jumper did.

Kerley is the American-Statesman's pick for Central Texas' athlete of the year.

"I know there are probably better athletes out there. I just tried to do the best I could with what God gave me," said Kerley, who is already taking summer classes at Texas Christian University, where he will play football in the fall.

Maybe better athletes are out there. But none did more in Central Texas.

"He can do a multitude of things," Hutto football coach and athletic director Lee Penland said. "But whatever he was doing, he did everything he could to not lose."

While Kerley excelled in basketball, baseball and track, his top sport was football. In February, the four-year starter at quarterback and defensive back capped his spectacular career by signing with TCU, making him the Horned Frogs' only four-star recruit.

As a sophomore, he was voted District 18-3A's most valuable defensive player. As a junior, he led the Hippos to the state championship game. As a senior, he was voted 18-3A's most valuable offensive player and led Hutto back to the playoffs. He earned All-Central Texas first-team honors the past two years.

Kerley's athletic endeavors, however, hardly stopped with football.

In basketball, he started at point guard and helped lead the Hippos to the playoffs. Kerley earned first-team all-district honors, averaging seven points and five assists a game.

In track and field, Kerley participated in the high jump, long jump, triple jump and the 400- and 1,600-meter relay teams, qualifying for the state meet in the triple jump — for the third time in his career — and the long jump. He won silver medals in both.

In baseball he starred as a pitcher, shortstop and outfielder, throwing a no-hitter, striking out 52 in 42 innings and hitting .444, again helping his team make the playoffs.

In the Austin Area Baseball Coaches Association's all-star game earlier this month, Kerley drove in the winning run in the North's 4-3 victory. He's planning on walking onto TCU's baseball team as well. "It's just a matter of working something out with the coaches," he said.

Penland calls Kerley "the best athlete I've ever seen."

Kerley — at least this year — was the best anyone else saw, too.

Story Link (www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/06/22/0622athlete.html)

No Show Jones
06-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Congratulations to Jeremy that kid is a class act.

coiled2strike
06-22-2007, 09:01 PM
was watching some film this week and the opponent was hutto...that kid was everywhere...man what a hitter
never had a chance to meet or coach against, glad there, but i have only heard and seen good things

ILS1
06-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
was watching some film this week and the opponent was hutto...that kid was everywhere...man what a hitter
never had a chance to meet or coach against, glad there, but i have only heard and seen good things

You must've been watching the Giddings game!!! LOL!!!

:D :D :D

pirate4state
06-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
You must've been watching the Giddings game!!! LOL!!!

:D :D :D

:eek: :eek: oh dear..... :doh:

Congrats to this young man and best wishes for him at TCU! :clap: