PDA

View Full Version : State of Oklahoma tops DMN's Big 12 Preview

Adidas410s
06-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Here's a look at Chip Brown's Big 12 predictions for 2007, with finish, overall record and Big 12 record:

SOUTH

1. Oklahoma
Record: 10-2, 6-2

League losses: at Colorado, Texas

Bottom line: The Sooners are starting a first-year quarterback, which could make them vulnerable to a couple of early conference losses. But the defending Big 12 champs should be hard to beat by season's end with talent everywhere else. OU wins the South on tiebreakers.

2. Oklahoma State

League losses: at Nebraska, at OU

Bottom line: This program has serious momentum after pounding Nebraska last season and beating Alabama in the Independence Bowl. Road games at Georgia, Troy, Texas A&M, Nebraska and OU will be daunting, but the Cowboys have lots of fearless, young talent.

3. Texas

League losses: at Okla. St., at Texas A&M

Bottom line: The passing game and run defense should be among the best in the country, and TCU is the toughest nonconference opponent. But the Longhorns must answer serious questions from last year about their pass defense and inability to run the ball.

4. Texas A&M
Record: 7-5, 4-4

League losses: Okla. St., at Nebraska, at OU, at Mizzou

Bottom line: Quarterback Stephen McGee is a stud on an offense that mauls people. But key losses on defense and a road schedule that includes Miami (Fla.), Texas Tech, Nebraska, OU and Missouri will trip up the Aggies.

5. Texas Tech
Record: 7-5;3-5

League losses: at Okla. St., Texas A&M, at Mizzou, at Texas, OU

Bottom line: Tech has only four starters back on offense and only five back on defense. If Mike Leach hasn't been recruiting well, it will show. A typically soft nonleague schedule should ensure Tech remains the only Big 12 team without a losing season since the conference was formed.

6. Baylor
Record: 3-9, 0-8

League losses: All of them

Bottom line: After manhandling bowl-bound Kansas State last year and beating Colorado on the road, the Bears have lost too much manpower to succeed in 2007. Baylor is starting over at quarterback, receiver and in the secondary. Coach Guy Morriss will need more time.

NORTH

1. Missouri

League losses: at OU, at Colorado

Bottom line: The Tigers have the most experienced talent in the North, only four road games, and they get Nebraska at home. Quarterback Chase Daniel of Southlake Carroll will help erase any mistakes by coach Gary Pinkel. Mizzou wins the North with a tiebreaker win over the Cornhuskers.

2. Nebraska
Record: 8-4, 6-2

League losses: at Mizzou, at Texas

Bottom line: Coaching blunders cost the Big Red a Cotton Bowl victory against Auburn and tempered enthusiasm about progress made in three seasons under Bill Callahan. If a new defensive line exceeds expectations, Nebraska could return to the Big 12 title game this year.

3. Colorado
Record: 7-5, 5-3

League losses: at Kansas St., at Texas Tech, Nebraska

Bottom line: Dan Hawkins redshirted his son, Cody, at quarterback last season. With Cody on the field, an offense that couldn't score in 2006 will improve dramatically. There's talent on defense, although not much depth anywhere if injuries flare up.

4. Kansas State
Record: 6-6, 4-4

League losses: at Texas, at Okla. St., at Nebraska, Mizzou

Bottom line: There's lots of uncertainty in Manhattan as coach Ron Prince goes to a 3-4 defense and attempts to rebuild on the offensive line. Ian Campbell will move from defensive end to outside linebacker after posting 11 ½ sacks in 2006. Quarterback Josh Freeman is a rising star.

5. Kansas
Record: 6-6, 2-6

League losses: at K-State, at Colorado, at A&M, Nebraska, at Okla. St., Mizzou (in Kansas City)

Bottom line: Last year, KU lost five games in which it led in the second half. Coach Mark Mangino is struggling to find a quarterback, as he has the last four years. Cornerback Aqib Talib is the real deal on a defense with lots of questions.

6. Iowa State
Record: 2-10, 0-8

League losses: All of them

Bottom line: It could be a rough start for new coach Gene Chizik. He must rebuild both lines, has no proven running back and faces a schedule that includes South opponents OU, Texas and Texas Tech. Eleven of his 25-man freshman class are junior college transfers.

BIG 12 TITLE GAME IN SAN ANTONIO: OU over Missouri

Keith7
06-22-2007, 04:31 PM
They think Oklahoma is going to beat North Texas?! :eek: :eek: what are they smoking?

Funk-d-fied
06-22-2007, 04:34 PM
chip has lost his mind on this one, thats why he works for the DMN.

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2007, 04:44 PM
5. Texas Tech
Record: 7-5;3-5

I hope he's wrong, because that will stink! (Keeping smart aleck remark about bowl games to myself. :devil: )

Adidas410s
06-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
chip has lost his mind on this one, thats why he works for the DMN.

I agree...cuz I don't see A&M winning @ Tech AND beating Texas. One or the other will probably happen...but both is unlikely IMO.

1. Texas 10-2 to 12-0...possible losses: BlowU, Okie Lite, A&M
2. Oklahoma 9-3 to 12-0...possible losses: Texas, Okie Lite, A&M, TT
3. Texas A&M 5-7 to 9-3...possible losses: Texas, BlowU, Okie Lite, TT, Mizzou, Nebraska, Miami
4. Oklahoma St 6-6 to 10-2...possible losses: Texas, BlowU, A&M, TT, Nebraska, Georgia
5. Texas Tech 7-5 to 10-2...possible losses: Texas, BlowU, A&M, Okie Lite, Mizzou
6. Baylor 6-6 to 2-10...possible losses to: Texas, BlowU, A&M, Okie Lite, TT, Colorado, Kansas, KState, TCU, Rice

Adidas410s
06-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I agree...cuz I don't see A&M winning @ Tech AND beating Texas. One or the other will probably happen...but both is unlikely IMO.

1. Texas 10-2 to 12-0...possible losses: BlowU, Okie Lite, A&M
2. Oklahoma 9-3 to 12-0...possible losses: Texas, Okie Lite, A&M, TT
3. Texas A&M 5-7 to 9-3...possible losses: Texas, BlowU, Okie Lite, TT, Mizzou, Nebraska, Miami
4. Oklahoma St 6-6 to 10-2...possible losses: Texas, BlowU, A&M, TT, Nebraska, Georgia
5. Texas Tech 7-5 to 10-2...possible losses: Texas, BlowU, A&M, Okie Lite, Mizzou
6. Baylor 6-6 to 2-10...possible losses to: Texas, BlowU, A&M, Okie Lite, TT, Colorado, Kansas, KState, TCU, Rice

To finish that...I'll put the standings like this:

1. Texas 12-0, 8-0 BOWL: BCS National Championship Game
2. Oklahoma 10-2, 6-2 (losses to Texas, Okie Lite) BOWL: BCS/Cotton/Gator
3. Texas Tech 8-4, 4-4 (losses to Texas, BlowU, Mizzou, Colorado) Cotton/Holiday/Alamo/lower
4. Texas A&M 8-4, 4-4 (losses to Texas, BlowU, TT, Nebraska) BOWL: Cotton/Gator/Holiday/Alamo/lower
5. Oklahoma St 7-5, 4-4 (losses to Texas, BlowU, A&M, TT, Georgia) BOWL: Cotton/Gator/Holiday/Alamo/lower
6. Baylor 4-8, 1-7 (losses to Texas, BlowU, A&M, Okie Lite, TT, Colorado, KState, TCU)

I'm playing the homer card here and hoping that Tech is able to take advantage of the vulernable pass defense in Stillwater and sneak away with a W...and then have their usual letdown game against Colorado at home...at which point I will burn my tickets to the Texas and Oklahoma games (kidding of course):rolleyes:

injuredinmelee
06-22-2007, 05:29 PM
But the Longhorns must answer serious questions from last year about their pass defense and inability to run the ball.
the inability to run the ball came from scheme. The zone read run plays are crap esp if you dont have Vince young running 75% of them. I certainly hope there have been a few changes this spring and fall.

JasperDog94
06-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
2. Oklahoma State

League losses: at Nebraska, at OU

Bottom line: This program has serious momentum after pounding Nebraska last season and beating Alabama in the Independence Bowl. Road games at Georgia, Troy, Texas A&M, Nebraska and OU will be daunting, but the Cowboys have lots of fearless, young talent.

Puff puff give, puff puff give...:smoker: :smoker: :smoker:

Txbroadcaster
06-22-2007, 05:46 PM
OSU is the chic pick..always is one every year in Big 12..now let see if the Cowboys play up to the expectations, or fold

OU Not sure why so many are so high on them when..they starting a new QB, replacing Peterson and have some DL depth issues

UT- It is all about fixing the pass defense IMO..I know they replace alot of OL, but the pass defense is bigger IMO

A&M-The wildcard of the Big 12 south...I honestly dont know what to expect

TTech...For some reason..I like this team this year..I think last year some of the seniors got a little to much swagger..a young team this year who plays in a wide open system..I can see them pulling off a major win, and losing one that make you scratch your head

Emerson1
06-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Chip Brown? eh

Txbroadcaster
06-22-2007, 05:49 PM
I like Brown and think he is a solid writer

charlesrixey
06-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
OSU is the chic pick..always is one every year in Big 12..now let see if the Cowboys play up to the expectations, or fold

OU Not sure why so many are so high on them when..they starting a new QB, replacing Peterson and have some DL depth issues

UT- It is all about fixing the pass defense IMO..I know they replace alot of OL, but the pass defense is bigger IMO

A&M-The wildcard of the Big 12 south...I honestly dont know what to expect

TTech...For some reason..I like this team this year..I think last year some of the seniors got a little to much swagger..a young team this year who plays in a wide open system..I can see them pulling off a major win, and losing one that make you scratch your head

i totally agree

oklahoma is waaaay overrated, and Texas will lose some games it shouldn't if it doesn't shore up the pass defense

i don't see how OU's defense could possibly be the best in Stoop's tenure

It wasn't exactly stellar last year or the previous couple of years.

DDBooger
06-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i totally agree

oklahoma is waaaay overrated, and Texas will lose some games it shouldn't if it doesn't shore up the pass defense

i don't see how OU's defense could possibly be the best in Stoop's tenure

It wasn't exactly stellar last year or the previous couple of years. UT picked up some stellar talent the past few years at db. they may have to step up soon!

3afan
06-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
...replacing Peterson ...

heard Zero-U had a better yards per carry without AP than with him .........

Adidas410s
06-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
heard Zero-U had a better yards per carry without AP than with him .........

Allen Patrick was a great replacement for Peterson last year...