PDA

View Full Version : Terrell ISD to bring back spanking??

kaorder1999
06-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Terrell ISD ponders bringing back spanking

By BOB GREENE / WFAA-TV

Tell Us: More Surveys
TERRELL - While spanking as a form of punishment has been done away with in most schools around the country, administrators in one North Texas school district have suggested their district bring it back.

When it comes to how parents personally discipline their child within their own homes, it seems there is very differing opinions.

"I spank my kids," said parent Jessica Sandoval.

"Some of them need it, and some of them don't," said another parent, Vanente Briones.

Then there are those who find the form of discipline strictly off-limits.

"[I'm] strongly against it," said parent Tari Carlile.

But what about when it comes to someone else spanking their children?

"I just don't feel that a principal or anybody at the school should be spanking the children," Carlile said.

Terrell Independent School District is considering bringing back spanking in schools, which is a practice that hasn't been used since Walt Davis took over as superintendent four years ago.

Davis said the decision comes down to much more than simply to spank or not to spank.

"I just felt the liability issues were too great and I did not want the individual or the district liable," he said.

Davis said he still feels that way.

"Is corporal punishment right for all students?" he said. "No, I do not think it is."

A committee of administrators appears to disagree. They are pushing to get it back before the next school year. This week, the school board decided it needed more time to weigh the pros and cons.

Davis said he's open to whatever decision is made.

"We do want to stress to our community that we are serious about behavior issues in schools, so that's one of the reasons we're considering bringing it back," he said.

However, he doesn't think spanking will solve all behavior problems.

And while there are parents who won't spank their own children and certainly don't want others to, there are also other parents who said they believe it may be a necessary evil.

"I think they ought to just give them a talking, and if they don't mind, then give them a couple of licks," Briones said.

E-mail bgreene@wfaa.com

buff4life
06-21-2007, 05:41 PM
whats the big deal...we have it in giddings...hell one of my friends got it for hitting a kid with a dodgeball in a dodgeball tourney...

Angeleyes
06-21-2007, 07:29 PM
i got spanked 1 time in school, dont remember why though. . .lol. i prolly got blamed for something i didnt do,cuz i have always been an angel. . .sweet and innocent:D "Thank you sir, may i have another?"

luvhoops34
06-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I got whacked one time in high school by Coach Bayless. Flour Bluff had this HUGE paddle with holes drilled in it, so you got the full effect. I don't remember what I did to get paddled, though.
;)

pooch
06-21-2007, 08:14 PM
boy hidee, i know a couple of young'uns that need the paddle...i briefly heard a little bit of this on the news tonight.

JR2004
06-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Madison still has the "Board of Education" in use and believe me it gets used OFTEN.

I still kind of get a good laugh thinking about it from when I saw Coach Kidd use it during his final season before he retired. He had a PE class and this one kid just acted crazy. He had to pull that board out just about everyday on him and I remember the kid laughing while he would get spanked. I still remember him yelling out "This boy is sadistic!" He had some players that I remember him saying he thought would get in trouble on purpose because they knew they hadn't been in trouble in awhile and were overdue to get swatted several times! lol...

I also remember him pulling out the board and giving kids a whoopin for bad grades and he'd give them a swat on the rear end per word he had to use to tell them why they were getting a whoopin! It was always the biggest kids that took it the worst. I don' t think I ever saw the smaller boys cry when they'd have to line up to take a few swats.

The best I think was when he had a kid who was failing a class so the boy's dad came in from East Texas for a game and point blank says to him that he wasn't whoopin his boy enough!

charlesrixey
06-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by pooch
boy hidee, i know a couple of young'uns that need the paddle...i briefly heard a little bit of this on the news tonight.

good!

kepdawg
06-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Discipline is bad! We should all be allowed to break the rules without consequences! :rolleyes:

I got licks one time. I was in 6th grade and got into an argument in PE. After lunch the boy jumped me. I kicked his butt and then got licks when we went to the office. My dad told the principal that he had no problem with me defending myself and expected me to do so in the future if necessary, but that he understood the consequences of my actions.

It was nice back in the day when there were consequences for actions and when parents and the school worked together!

Txbroadcaster
06-21-2007, 10:06 PM
I got it so may times I cant even remember a funny story

Gobbla2001
06-21-2007, 10:07 PM
there was a coach we were scared of because he always missed, always hit the back or the legs...

Gsquared
06-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Whats the big deal? I spank daily

Angeleyes
06-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Whats the big deal? I spank daily lol. . .u get spanked daily??:eek: if u would just learn to behave and do ur chores:D

Gsquared
06-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Angeleyes
lol. . .u get spanked daily??:eek: if u would just learn to behave and do ur chores:D
Flog the dolphin

Angeleyes
06-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Flog the dolphin :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: u flog the dolphin:D

pirate4state
06-22-2007, 01:22 PM
get a room!

JasperDog94
06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
One of the biggest problems with discipline in the schools today is there is no immediate consequence for getting into trouble. When I was in school, if you got in trouble, you got a lick and it was over. Eventually you got tired of getting licks, so you'd stop the behavior.

Now, we have to give D-halls and Saturday classes and discuss "why" little Johnny was running down the hall or pushing another kid. We have to understand his "motivation" for acting in this way.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PurpleFreddy
06-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Discipline is bad! We should all be allowed to break the rules without consequences! :rolleyes:

I got licks one time. I was in 6th grade and got into an argument in PE. After lunch the boy jumped me. I kicked his butt and then got licks when we went to the office. My dad told the principal that he had no problem with me defending myself and expected me to do so in the future if necessary, but that he understood the consequences of my actions.

It was nice back in the day when there were consequences for actions and when parents and the school worked together!

Everyone look at Kepdawg's post. I can tell you what is the most significant thing in it (since I am in the education bidness). The No. 1 thing isn't necessarily the spanking. It was that his Dad backed up the administrator's decision. That is the top thing killing discipline (not punishment, there's a difference) in schools! We have too many parents who want to be their child's laywer and not a parent.

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
We have too many parents who want to be their child's laywer and not a parent.
Not me! My kids know if they get in trouble at school it extends to the house.

kepdawg
06-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Not me! My kids know if they get in trouble at school it extends to the house.

My dad supported the school, but one of the scariest things I have ever had to do was give my parents the note telling them about it. I didn't care what the school did to me - I was worried about my parents!

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2007, 04:53 PM
My dad supported the school, but one of the scariest things I have ever had to do was give my parents the note telling them about it. I didn't care what the school did to me - I was worried about my parents!
And that's as it should be. ;)

DDBooger
06-22-2007, 04:56 PM
i messed up pretty bad in my class this one time, hit a kid with a spit wod(boulder). well the teacher was like 5'2 102 lbs. so when it was time for my paddlin, i wasn't sweatin it. Low and behold THE BEAST, a 6'0 deuce, deuce and a half 'ol battle-ax is called over to do the honors! :rolleyes: at least i didn't cry

Haunta Yo
06-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
We have too many parents who want to be their child's laywer and not a parent.

No doubt. My job would be easier if I had more parents that didn't want to be their child's "Best Friend". Your child doesn't need a freind - he's got plenty of friends. That's why he's in trouble. He needs a parent to tell him "No" or to punish him when he does wrong.

When I was growing up, my parents were terrible friends, laywers and sports agents...and that made them pretty good parents.

LH Panther Mom
06-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
No doubt. My job would be easier if I had more parents that didn't want to be their child's "Best Friend". Your child doesn't need a freind - he's got plenty of friends. That's why he's in trouble. He needs a parent to tell him "No" or to punish him when he does wrong. :clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
06-23-2007, 10:42 AM

Exactly! You & everyone else (me included) who had parents that struck the fear of God into them all turned out just fine. I hate that stupid argument that the so call "experts" use that if you spank and/or discpline your child they are scared for life. GMAB!

I wonder how many of today's parents that :bigcry: about Little Johnny getting in trouble ever got a spanking from their parents. I would venture to guess not many.

These are all my opinions, you don't have to like them or agree with them.