PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem fair?

Bulldog_12
06-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Ok, so Colorado is getting punishment for infractions that are considered "major" by the NCAA. The crime? Undercharging athletes for meals. Funny, it doesnt seem like too long ago when some athletes at some school that will remain nameless, were getting paid for nothing. Seems to me they should have given them cars instead so that it would have only been considered failure to monitor instead of a huge violation. :rolleyes:

Stupid NCAA (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2911946)

Txbroadcaster
06-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Ok, so Colorado is getting punishment for infractions that are considered "major" by the NCAA. The crime? Undercharging athletes for meals. Funny, it doesnt seem like too long ago when some athletes at some school that will remain nameless, were getting paid for nothing. Seems to me they should have given them cars instead so that it would have only been considered failure to monitor instead of a huge violation. :rolleyes:

Stupid NCAA (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2911946)

Well it could be considered major if it was deliberate attempt to allow the walk ons who are not under scholarship a way to save money

Bulldog_12
06-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Well it could be considered major if it was deliberate attempt to allow the walk ons who are not under scholarship a way to save money

I understand that it could be considered major, but seriously, giving away money to scholarship players who are already "paid" to go play is not? It was 61,000 over six years. I bet Bomar made that in one paycheck.:)

Phil C
06-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I understand that it could be considered major, but seriously, giving away money to scholarship players who are already "paid" to go play is not? It was 61,000 over six years. I bet Bomar made that in one paycheck.:)

And nice vehicles to rent. :)

And how about that player on the West Coast whose family got a great rent deal on a nice house. :)

Bulldog_12
06-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
And nice vehicles to rent. :)

And how about that player on the West Coast whose family got a great rent deal on a nice house. :)

exactly. Its funny that when something happens at a big school it just seems to go away. When a team that is down and not very popular gets busted, they get punished harshly even if they "took care of it within house" like some major programs do.

burnet44
06-21-2007, 03:59 PM
remember the NCAA has the "Mind over Matter Rule"

WE MIND WHEN YOU DONT MATTER

its still all about money
the more money u make for the NCAA
the less they wanna here what you are doing

SC-Blow U-Texas-Michigan-FEye U all make a ton of money for the NCAA

Punish the little things at who cares U
so it looks like you are doing something

As Wilbon said on PTI on which I agree
the Ncaa is stupid-undermanned
Not too different than the UIL

Its all about money
and how much U can make for us

If we punish CU no one cares
not unlike giving SMU the death
TU-Aggotts-Blow U- all the SWC was cheating like crazy
lets kill SMU
no one cares

its all about money

Txbroadcaster
06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
exactly. Its funny that when something happens at a big school it just seems to go away. When a team that is down and not very popular gets busted, they get punished harshly even if they "took care of it within house" like some major programs do.

I agree and I dont..YEs the NCAA puts the screws to some programs it seems BUT

Unless they prove OU Set up the illegal jobs then it is a booster/fan who did the illegal act..Same as the Reggie Bush case, unless they prove USC set it up, it was Bush and the Agent

In this case the college itself is the one doing the illegal act

3afan
06-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
remember the NCAA has the "Mind over Matter Rule"

WE MIND WHEN YOU DONT MATTER

its still all about money
the more money u make for the NCAA
the less they wanna here what you are doing

SC-Blow U-Texas-Michigan-FEye U all make a ton of money for the NCAA

Punish the little things at who cares U
so it looks like you are doing something

As Wilbon said on PTI on which I agree
the Ncaa is stupid-undermanned
Not too different than the UIL

Its all about money
and how much U can make for us

If we punish CU no one cares
not unlike giving SMU the death
TU-Aggotts-Blow U- all the SWC was cheating like crazy
lets kill SMU
no one cares

its all about money

try doing some research on the subject of the NCAA (and UIL) and their budgets, like where the $ comes from and where it actually goes ... don't be an uninformed moron ...

Emerson1
06-21-2007, 04:38 PM
It's burnet44, all he knows is ranting.

Burnet44 = new negative nancy
thanks for taking the title

burnet44
06-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I feel so loved

yeah I do know where the money comes from and goes too

football payes the bill for the UIL
and if you read I said undermanned like the NCAA

both are way understaffed to enforce the rules they set up

since you nn's know so much why dont you call Charles
tell him hi for me

Peter, Mark , Rachel, Bonnie

Yep you know me no clue

Since Ive been the XC State meet starter for the last 10 years
and have worked the State Meet for 25

Naw Ive never met those people

Charles and I used to coach against each other
when he was coaching

please be informed

burnet44
06-21-2007, 06:28 PM
emmerson you are just a kid

and both and you guys are from Forney

btw building a new stadium
did not make Forney want to build a new school
Its on another thread

Also i play golf with the people who were in the middle of the SMU deal

Do you guys know David Stanley?
He is not one of the guys I play golf with btw

Do you know why he is important here?

Ok now look on the internet

sahen
06-21-2007, 06:46 PM
pish...give me a break, probation? thats not a punishment thats just like when u did something bad and urmom said "im watching u!"....u were thankful u didnt get in trouble the first time and got away w/ it and wont do it again...u just find something else to try to get away w/.....the 100,000 they have to pay will be made up in 1 game if Colorado's football program decides to actually play football this season, unlike last year....i'll agree they get punished harshly when the NCAA takes away a serious amount of scholarships for a year, takes away bowl games, or heck i dunno, decides to make them do w/o a nonconference schedule....

burnet44
06-21-2007, 08:27 PM
agreed

Emerson1
06-21-2007, 11:49 PM
emmerson you are just a kid

Its on another thread

Yep, I am a kid, yet we somehow have the exact same level of maturity. Go figure

Yep we are, thanks for confirming you can read.

I am sure it helps, having some of the nicest facilities in the state. Where would you rather take your kid if he was interested in athletics? Forney who has a indoor practice facility, semi-brand new stadium, new gym and brand new locker rooms, or crandall(no offense josh) who has facilities that aren't quiet as nice?

CalallenWildcat
06-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Ok, CU's punishment is paying $100,000 to charity and losing ONE scholarship over the next two years. No postseason restrictions, no restrictions on TV appearances.

It's a crap punishment for so-called "major" violations. And to me, it's a wonder the NCAA didn't slap a "lack of institutional control" on them as well, just as they did with SMU, Alabama, and even OU (perhaps they did, but I haven't read anything about CU getting that slapped on them...yet).

It seems that the NCAA is getting wussier and wussier as time goes on. NCAA destroyed SMU's program. Later, at Alabama, they sent that proud program into a few not-so-proud seasons.

Now CU has "major" violations and they got the punishment above.

OU's punishment hasn't been released yet (the whole thing is not a done deal yet). Hopefully for the future of college sports, the NCAA will take a step back in the right direction and give them some restrictions that will cause them to think about what they did wrong.

The NCAA had the level of punishment about right with the Alabama case. SMU's was way too harsh (and I'm not saying that just because I'm an SMU fan...I absolutely abhore the fact that they used a death penalty against anyone) and CU's is way too mild.

Emerson1
06-22-2007, 12:22 AM
I don't see how it's a major infractions, they charged walk on players the same rate for food as scholarship players. I doubt they were swaying people to stay on the team by saving them $100. It's not like OU where 20 players were receiver thousands of dollars for work not done, and getting a free lexus

CalallenWildcat
06-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't see how it's a major infractions, they charged walk on players the same rate for food as scholarship players. I doubt they were swaying people to stay on the team by saving them $100. It's not like OU where 20 players were receiver thousands of dollars for work not done, and getting a free lexus

It's a "major" infraction because the NCAA says it's a "major" infraction. Yet they don't give a "major" penalty...

to me, if you classify something as a major infraction, you'd better back it up with major penalties. Otherwise, don't classify it as major.

3afan
06-22-2007, 06:15 AM

Its on another thread

what? what does that have to do with anything ???

3afan
06-22-2007, 06:19 AM
I feel so loved

yeah I do know where the money comes from and goes too

football payes the bill for the UIL
and if you read I said undermanned like the NCAA

both are way understaffed to enforce the rules they set up

since you nn's know so much why dont you call Charles
tell him hi for me

Peter, Mark , Rachel, Bonnie

Yep you know me no clue

Since Ive been the XC State meet starter for the last 10 years
and have worked the State Meet for 25

Naw Ive never met those people

Charles and I used to coach against each other
when he was coaching

please be informed

ok, you've been around the block and know some folks .. good for you

just as the UIL has to fund other sports besides the money makers (football and maybe boys hoops), as well as all the academic, band, etc. competitions the NCAA has to fund DII & DII, men and women, as well all the DI money losers.

If you believe decisions on rules infraction penalties are based on how much potential $ a team/school can generate for the NCAA then you need a healthy dose of reality

but I do respect your opinion .... have a great weekend