PDA

View Full Version : 8th grader commits to USC

kaorder1999
06-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Not sure if this has been posted. If it has just ignore!! This is why I hate college baskeball and their recruiting....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eighth grader commits to USC

Jeff Goodman
FOXSports.com, Updated 1 day ago STORY

For the second straight year, USC basketball coach Tim Floyd has received a verbal commitment from an eighth-grader.

Ryan Boatwright, a speedy 5-foot-10, 145-pound rising freshman point guard from Illinois who has yet to make a decision on where he's headed for high school (he's choosing between East Aurora High and West Aurora High), accepted Floyd's scholarship offer while at USC's camp this past weekend.
"They were the first one to show interest in Ryan," said Boatwright's father, Mike. "A lot of people have said Ryan isn't that good, but he went to USC's camp and played well."

Boatwright played well enough that Floyd put forth a scholarship offer on the final day of camp. DePaul, Indiana and a few smaller schools had expressed interest, but USC was the first to step up with an offer.

"It shocked me," Mike Boatwright said of the offer. "But Ryan loved it there and he decided on his own."

"The campus is gorgeous," he added. "It's a private school and both myself and his mom were impressed with the academic standards at USC. That's really what got us."

A year ago, Floyd and the Trojans staff stayed local and got a verbal pledge from then-14-year-old Dwayne Polee Jr., a 6-foot-6 forward who had yet to play his first high school game at Westchester High (Calif.).

Mike Boatwright said the biggest concern surrounding his 14-year-old son's decision is the potential local reaction.

"I'm tremendously concerned," he admitted. "It could get ugly as far as kids getting jealous. I also don't want it to get to his head. I want him to stay humble."

Emerson1
06-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Changes will probably come soon. Didn't Bob Knight get a commitment from a 6th grader once? Even though I think it ended up being a joke

kaorder1999
06-21-2007, 01:07 AM
I know a kid that committed to bob knight as a sophomore and he did end up going to tech....

maestro
06-21-2007, 08:01 AM
and the day will come when the coaches meet the mother's and dad's in the birthing rooms!!

:)

give me a break......

LH Panther Mom
06-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by maestro
and the day will come when the coaches meet the mother's and dad's in the birthing rooms!!

:)

give me a break......
:hand: :hand: That seems a little late to start, IMO. :evillol: :evillol: