PDA

View Full Version : I wanna be a USDA meat grader

Gsquared
06-20-2007, 08:28 PM
How do I go about doin that?

smustangs
06-20-2007, 08:30 PM
i nearly went to school for that or for meat science actually but changed to coaching

lostaussie
06-20-2007, 08:30 PM
this could get good:doh:

charlesrixey
06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
this could get good:doh:

well then i won't let it die!

burnet44
06-21-2007, 09:00 AM
alllllll rightyyyyyyyyyyy then

TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY MEAT JUDGING TEAM WINS NATIONAL TITLE

COLLEGE STATION - The Texas A&M University Meat Judging Team won first place in the International Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest.

The contest, held recently at the IBP Inc., plant in Dakota City, Neb., includes meat grading, meat judging, pork judging, lamb judging, total placings and written reasons and specifications. The team scored first place in all events with an exception of earning second in specifications.

This is Texas A&M's second consecutive year to win the championship. With 4,245 points, Texas A&M scored 85 more points than the second place team, Texas Tech, even though the latter team had won all of the competitions prior to the international contest this year.

in other related news

Tech defends national meat judging title

Avalanche-Journal

Texas Tech's Meat Judging Team successfully defended its national title on Sunday, becoming only the fifth university to do so in the competition's 71-year history.

"We wanted to be the team that won it two years in a row," said team member Gayle Locke. "That was our goal, and we did it."

Tech beat out 10 other teams at Sunday's intercollegiate competition in Dakota City, Neb., including Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and Nebraska. Tech recorded the second-highest score, 3,983, in the competition's history. The highest score ever, 3,994, was earned by Tech's 1991 team.

Tech's team won three of the four fall contests and was only the second team in the 1990s to win the last two major judging competitions of the year, the American Royal and the International. Tech has captured first place in 10 of the last 14 intercollegiate contests. It's closest competitor has won only two.

Tech also won the national championship in 1989, 1991, 1996 and 1997.

Locke attributed the team's success to their coach. He ensured that the members knew what they were doing and worked well together, she said.

The team began training in January and attended shows throughout the year in Fort Worth, Houston, Denver and Pennsylvania.

LH Panther Mom
06-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
How do I go about doin that?
A meat grader or a cheese grater? :p

My uncle was a USDA meat inspector for many years, but I'm not sure that's what you're talking about. I don't know how you go about it....I do know he was a Veterinarian before the meat job.

LH Panther Mom
06-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
Tech defends national meat judging title

Somehow "GUNS UP" just sounds wrong here. :devil:

burnet44
06-21-2007, 09:13 AM
lol

too funny

kinda like

http://www.fluxw.com/bellringer.jpg

wonder if he was on the meat judging team