PDA

View Full Version : Interesting fact on the Tour de France!

Phil C
06-20-2007, 11:29 AM
It has been said that if a Frenchman wins the tour he will never starve and will always have a roof over his head.

Intersting isn't it?

pirate4state
06-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Not really, but to each their own!

coiled2strike
06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
are french bike racers starving and homeless...that's about the only way i can see riding a bike through the mountains for days...

LH Panther Mom
06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I'd like it better if it were the "Tour de Rhode Island". ;)

Mot'r Boat'r
06-20-2007, 11:39 AM
A frenchman will win the Toure de france as soon as the french win a war:D :D

coiled2strike
06-20-2007, 11:41 AM
tour de rhode island..
now that's a race i get into...could you imagine a tour de tejas!

DaHop72
06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mot'r Boat'r
A frenchman will win the Toure de france as soon as the french win a war:D :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

carter08
06-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I went to Paris last June. The Tour was not going on, but they were selling a lot of Tour merchandise in the stores. I picked up a yellow Tour de France shirt. All the writing on the tag is in French.

mwynn05
06-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
tour de rhode island..
now that's a race i get into...could you imagine a tour de tejas! isnt france about the size of texas

coiled2strike
06-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Situated in Western Europe, France is the second-largest country on the continent, with an area (including the island of Corsica) of 547,030 sq km (211,209 sq mi). Comparatively, the area occupied by France is slightly less than twice the size of the state of Colorado.

Phil C
06-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Some good news is that the mods are going to make a Sticky so we can confine the news of this great important event to one thread.

An interesting note is that the Tour of course takes place mostly in France but sometimes stages overlapp or are located in other countries. These consist of bordering countries which are Germany, Belguim, Spain, Italy, Switzerland and Luxembourg. It sometimes also takes place in the Netherlants, Great Britain, and Ireland. In fact the first day of this years race takes place in London, England!

shankbear
06-20-2007, 02:26 PM
I was in the south part of France last summer just before the TDF. I was on some mountain roads where previous TDF stages were held. Some places made the Opel that I was driving strain in 1st and 2nd gears. Forget about any higher gears. The scenery is awesome. The vineyards, olive trees, sunflowers and lavender fields. The wine is very good from that region.

The TDF is their super bowl. The World Cup soccer final was going on when I was back in Paris. When France lost it was sad in the city of lights. Earlier, thousands of Frenchmen had started a fire on the Champs-Elysee and we bugged out. Just in time as the trucks with the big a$$ water cannons rolled out. This is the place where the TDF finishes.

Cool place.

big daddy russ
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
Situated in Western Europe, France is the second-largest country on the continent, with an area (including the island of Corsica) of 547,030 sq km (211,209 sq mi). Comparatively, the area occupied by France is slightly less than twice the size of the state of Colorado.
Texas, if anyone was wondering, is 261,797 square miles.

Thanks for the info, coiled.

carter08
06-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
I was in the south part of France last summer just before the TDF. I was on some mountain roads where previous TDF stages were held. Some places made the Opel that I was driving strain in 1st and 2nd gears. Forget about any higher gears. The scenery is awesome. The vineyards, olive trees, sunflowers and lavender fields. The wine is very good from that region.

The TDF is their super bowl. The World Cup soccer final was going on when I was back in Paris. When France lost it was sad in the city of lights. Earlier, thousands of Frenchmen had started a fire on the Champs-Elysee and we bugged out. Just in time as the trucks with the big a$$ water cannons rolled out. This is the place where the TDF finishes.

Cool place.

I was in France during the opening round of the World Cup. After Mexico won a match, we saw a bridge full of people waving Mexican flags. I felt like I was back home.

Ahh. Good times.

Phil C
06-21-2007, 10:13 AM
One thing we have to remember is that the French are in charge of the race and they are the ones putting on this expensive event for the world to enjoy. So remember we must be gracious guests and accept that the French have the right to set the rules of this match and enforce them as they see fit.

mwynn05
06-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by carter08
I was in France during the opening round of the World Cup. After Mexico won a match, we saw a bridge full of people waving Mexican flags. I felt like I was back home.

Ahh. Good times. lol