PDA

View Full Version : B44 do you know this guy Walker?

Gsquared
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Burnet picks Walker to replace Shipley
Former Burnet junior high coach to lead Bulldogs on interim basis
Click-2-Listen
By Jake Trotter

American-Statesman Staff

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Doyle Walker, who spent the past five years as head coach and athletic coordinator for Burnet Middle School, was named Monday night as Burnet High School's head football coach — for at least one year, on an interim basis.

Walker, 52, will coach Burnet this coming season. His interim basis will be re-evaluated at the end of the 2007-08 school year.

Walker will replace Bob Shipley, who resigned last month to become head coach for Class 5A Coppell. During Shipley's successful six-year stint, the Bulldogs reached consecutive Class 3A, Division I state championship games in 2002 and 2003.

"When they asked me about this, I decided I was going to do it for the kids and community because they deserve someone in town they know, and they know me," Walker said. "Obviously, it's a great opportunity for me, too."

Shipley, 46, compiled a record of 54-19. The Bulldogs, who moved up from Class 3A to Class 4A in 2004, finished 7-4 last season and made the playoffs.

Burnet, the smallest school in District 25-4A, returns many of its offensive starters from last year's team, including running back Darius Nesby and wide receiver Jacob Meyer.

"Bob did a great job. Everyone in the community really liked him," Walker said. "I'm just going to try and fill his shoes."

burnet44
06-20-2007, 01:22 PM
sorry I dont know him
sounds like a decent guy