PDA

View Full Version : How does a dog end up...

lepfan
06-19-2007, 11:24 PM
...with liver disease?

carter08
06-19-2007, 11:26 PM
too many spilled beers

lepfan
06-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by carter08
too many spilled beers I don't think so...my dog just died of liver disease...she was only 5 years old!

charlesrixey
06-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
I don't think so...my dog just died of liver disease...she was only 5 years old! :(

coiled2strike
06-20-2007, 08:47 AM
similar thing happened to my wife's rott...he was a bit older, but not old...a tumor developed on the liver, died about 2 months later...not exacty how long it was there b/4 it was discovered
very sad to lose a good dog...sorry for your loss

44INAROW
06-20-2007, 08:50 AM
I am so sorry Jill - :(

Ranger Mom
06-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Awww Jill, that is terrible! What dog was it?

I may be WAY off base here, but several of my friends who have "pure bred" dogs seem to have more problems than I have EVER had with any of my mutts....they just die of old age!!

Phantom Stang
06-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm sorry you lost you're dog.:(
Maybe vet93 can give some insight.

Txbroadcaster
06-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Awww Jill, that is terrible! What dog was it?

I may be WAY off base here, but several of my friends who have "pure bred" dogs seem to have more problems than I have EVER had with any of my mutts....they just die of old age!!

Pure breds do have a tendancy to have more health problems..not sure why

pirate4state
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Pure breds do have a tendancy to have more health problems..not sure why It is a real shame, especially when you spend SO much money on/for these pure breds.

Mine are mutts and other than the occassional stomach bug, I haven't had any problems with 'em. {knock on wood}

Again Jill, I'm so sorry. :(

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Aww, I'm sorry for your loss.

I got a boxer recently and he is absolutely wonderful! I got him from THESE fine folks! He is the most well behaved dog I've ever had.

Lone Star Boxer Rescue (http://lonestarboxerrescue.com)

luvhoops34
06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm so sorry about your dog.:(

lepfan
06-20-2007, 10:42 AM
She (Lexi) was a registered Shih Tzu. She was a bit overweight...in researching this...I have found that could have played a part...????

Ranger Mom
06-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
She (Lexi) was a registered Shih Tzu. She was a bit overweight...in researching this...I have found that could have played a part...????

I was wondering if it was Lexi!!:( My Lexi died about 3 months ago......her body just finally gave out on her!!

vet93
06-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I am sorry for your loss...here is a partial list that is not overly specific of things that can cause liver disease/failure (in no particular order):

- bacterial infection
- fungal infection
- neoplasia
- plant toxin
- chemical toxin
- portosystemic shunt (blood if shunted away from liver, this is a congental defect that sometimes become apparent in adulthood)
- fatty liver syndrome
- other congenital defects that effect either the liver cells or vasculature

This list is not exhaustive and the only way to get a true diagnosis would be to do a necropsy and send off tissue to a diagnostic lab for a microscopic examination of the liver tissue.