PDA

View Full Version : MMA vs Boxing

mchavez
06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Which do you peffer: Mixed martial arts, boxing, or not watching either of them?

I preffer to watch MMA, because it is a lot more exciting and the matches are not long and boring!

ESPN compares the two in this link:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2908429&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

District303aPastPlayer
06-20-2007, 10:56 AM
ttt

Emerson1
06-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Dangit I didn't see neither until I had picked MMA and hit submit

rangerjim
06-20-2007, 11:14 AM
had a guy I knew from high school in the early 80's that was the World's heavyweight kick-boxing champion - Bad Brad Hefton. Haven't watched it much since then though. Last time I ran into him was around 88 at O'Hare airport. It was like yea I remember you - kinda.........

DU_stud04
06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
boxing.

Gobbla2001
06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
I like me some MMA... less rounds, more contact, more urgency...

if a guy's gettin' his rearend kicked you don't have to watch it for long, he eventual taps or gets rocked...

Keith7
06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
they are both lame

Gobbla2001
06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
haha... the always kontraverson keith...

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 04:12 PM
too much running in boxing now. make the ring smaller and lighten the gloves. :D mma is my favorite until boxing does something about all its runners, such as deducting points or not paying the purse. just saw a fight this past weekend on HBO and the guy that won literally was running around the ring. Harold Ledderman called it the WORST fight he had ever seen. I AGREE.

Gobbla2001
06-20-2007, 04:14 PM
that's another reason I like MMA... you can run, but unlike boxing, you can get caught, and punished severely...

coiled2strike
06-20-2007, 04:19 PM
i would have said boxing, when it was at it's best...but it has gone downhill...now i would definitely say mma
mma is coming out of the raw stages and some of the guys have developed some fighting "style", if you can call it that...

VanKampen
06-20-2007, 05:24 PM
do you really think those guys dont have a fighting style? theres brazilian jiu jitsu, muay thai, judo, kickboxing, wrestling, boxing, karate, sambo, tae kwon do, etc. Everyone of those fighters is skilled in more than one discipline. its not in its raw stages anymore. the raw stages occurred in the 90s. right now its for real. those guys are the best of the best in martial arts.

Emerson1
06-20-2007, 05:28 PM
I have yet to see a really good MMA fight, it all ends with them leg locked on the mat without much real fighting. Maybe I need to download some of the more extreme fights.

VanKampen
06-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I have yet to see a really good MMA fight, it all ends with them leg locked on the mat without much real fighting. Maybe I need to download some of the more extreme fights.
submissions are exciting. get used to it. it takes a lot of skill to do it. if you want to watch crazy knockouts, you can watch mirko filipovic, mauricio "shogun" rua, or georges st. pierre. all three are exciting. if you want to watch the best fighter in the world, you can watch fedor emelianenko althought he wins a lot of fights by submission.

Gobbla2001
06-20-2007, 05:33 PM
most of the really good fights end quickly... one of the best fights I've seen lately was on WEC WreKAGE... only lasted 10 seconds though, both swinging, great punches, great contact, one landed a great punch, other swung back and delt the guy to the mat...

there have been other great ones... it's very interesting watching the ground game when the fighters are busy doing things... in the late first round and the other two rounds (or four in title matches) the ground game is mostly spent catching breath, but the refs are getting better at standin' 'em up if no action is being forced...

In WreKAGE you find a lot of fighters fighting their first ever matches, then some more experienced ones... it's hard to watch sometimes esspecially when someone is totally dominating yet doesn't have the experience to finish the guy off, but their fights are gradually getting better as well...

DU_stud04
06-20-2007, 05:36 PM
it seems like these days people dont appreciate a true sport, they want the quick knockdown and thats the end of it. :(

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
it seems like these days people dont appreciate a true sport, they want the quick knockdown and thats the end of it. :( no there is a difference between the sweet science and just flat out being a *alternative name for cat* case in point Bernard Hopkins, Winky Wright, Sugar Shane Mosely. but you have a new generation of boxers who are one hit and then run around the ring. LITERALLY run around the ring. people aren't necessarily looking for the quick knockout, just the "fight" aspect of boxing!

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I have yet to see a really good MMA fight, it all ends with them leg locked on the mat without much real fighting. Maybe I need to download some of the more extreme fights. lmao how much mma have you watched. some of the most vicious knockouts i've seen have occured in MMA. Mike CroCop getting kicked in the head and dropped was NASTY!

Gp83
06-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
lmao how much mma have you watched. some of the most vicious knockouts i've seen have occured in MMA. Mike CroCop getting kicked in the head and dropped was NASTY!

I agree...I can't stand to watch ho-hum boxing :rolleyes:

Gp83
06-20-2007, 05:53 PM
I'll add...Mike Tyson was the only boxer I enjoyed watching from his young days until the get out of jail. I liked him because he KICKED some A. I hated the person but I loved the Awhoopens he put on his opponents:clap:

VanKampen
lmao how much mma have you watched. some of the most vicious knockouts i've seen have occured in MMA. Mike CroCop getting kicked in the head and dropped was NASTY!
mike? how much mma have you watched? his name is mirko. his knockouts are just as sick as when he got knocked out by gonzaga. the ironic thing about mirko getting knocked out by a right high kick is that he is known for knocking out all of his opponents with his left high kick so for mma fans, the joke after that fight was "how do you counter cro cop's LHK? RHK"

DDBooger
Originally posted by Gp83
I agree...I can't stand to watch ho-hum boxing :rolleyes: its frustrating bro! i get so damn aggravated watching a guy more concerned about getting hit rather than knocking the other guy out, or at least boxing him.

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by VanKampen
mike? how much mma have you watched? tiny details and irrelevent to the fact he got knocked out!

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
I'll add...Mike Tyson was the only boxer I enjoyed watching from his young days until the get out of jail. I liked him because he KICKED some A. I hated the person but I loved the Awhoopens he put on his opponents:clap: no man in the history of boxing in my opinion ever hit with such force.

DU_stud04
06-20-2007, 05:56 PM
no there is a difference between the sweet science and just flat out being a *alternative name for cat* case in point Bernard Hopkins, Winky Wright, Sugar Shane Mosely. but you have a new generation of boxers who are one hit and then run around the ring. LITERALLY run around the ring. people aren't necessarily looking for the quick knockout, just the "fight" aspect of boxing! i agree with you totally on that one. but with my remark i was also taking to mma, where ive seen many of times if the match goes on for more than 1 minute, people get bored with it and say it was crap.

i believe there is room for both sports, different stroke for different folks. mma doesnt do it for me, boxing does, its just hard to see something as great as it was tarnish before your eyes, first starting from the inside out.

VanKampen
06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
tiny details and irrelevent to the fact he got knocked out!
you are why MMA fans hate UFC going mainstream. if you really want to be a fan, get on youtube and watch some fights and dont judge a fighter by one fight. randy couture got KTFO by liddell twice but people dont say he sucks. Liddell got KTFO by rampage but no one says he sucks.

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
i agree with you totally on that one. but with my remark i was also taking to mma, where ive seen many of times if the match goes on for more than 1 minute, people get bored with it and say it was crap.

i believe there is room for both sports, different stroke for different folks. mma doesnt do it for me, boxing does, its just hard to see something as great as it was tarnish before your eyes, first starting from the inside out. understood, should be a good fight this weekend on hbo, Ricky Hatton and Jose Luis Castillo

DU_stud04
06-20-2007, 06:00 PM
understood, should be a good fight this weekend on hbo, Ricky Hatton and Jose Luis Castillo i will be watching :D

havent been able to watch any bouts since first week or two of may, been busy with work, moving, and "other stuff", hope its not a let down......naw, i have a feeling it should be a good one.

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 06:02 PM
you are why MMA fans hate UFC going mainstream. if you really want to be a fan, get on youtube and watch some fights and dont judge a fighter by one fight. randy couture got KTFO by liddell twice but people dont say he sucks. Liddell got KTFO by rampage but no one says he sucks. 1. i didn't say mirko sucked! he just got knocked out!
2. you are trivializing a moot point.
3. how does stating someone getting knocked out, AS AN EXAMPLE suggest anything you provided? perhaps a bit presumptious?

one thing about MMA, expect the unexpected. Hughes, St. Pierre, Serra for example.

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
i will be watching :D

havent been able to watch any bouts since first week or two of may, been busy with work, moving, and "other stuff", hope its not a let down......naw, i have a feeling it should be a good one. buddy, i've yet to see a mexican boxer RUN!! and Hatton is a brawler with boxing skills, should be a great fight! crossing fingers and getting the beer!

VanKampen
06-20-2007, 06:08 PM
1. i didn't say mirko sucked! he just got knocked out!
2. you are trivializing a moot point.
3. how does stating someone getting knocked out, AS AN EXAMPLE suggest anything you provided? perhaps a bit presumptious?

one thing about MMA, expect the unexpected. Hughes, St. Pierre, Serra for example.
because you act like its a big deal that he got knocked out. everyone gets knocked out eventually. examples: matt hughes, st. pierre, forrest griffin, liddell, etc...

for all of you boxing fans: is it really worth paying that god awful amount to watch one fight on ppv worth it? how many people were satisfied with de la hoya/mayweather? ufc puts on ppv's where you watch at least 5 fights and every one of them is potentially a great fight. ufc 72 was the worst looking card on paper the ufc has had in a long time and it turned out to be great. can you say that about boxing? nope.

$60 for one crappy fight is not better than $40 for 5 or more great fights.

DU_stud04
06-20-2007, 06:12 PM
buddy, i've yet to see a mexican boxer RUN!! and Hatton is a brawler with boxing skills, should be a great fight! crossing fingers and getting the beer!

closest thing ive seen to runnig was a few months ago on an undercard, tiny kid, maybe 5'3''..... goes in there and maybe throws 15 punches total the first couple of rounds. he would cirlce around, set up and take a beating like it was nothing. i think he did this for the first 5 rounds(very boring) but then he decided the other guy was tired enough and came out on a tear. ended up losing byi think 4 points total.....held up one round too many.

yay boxing!

DU_stud04
06-20-2007, 06:17 PM
because you act like its a big deal that he got knocked out. everyone gets knocked out eventually. examples: matt hughes, st. pierre, forrest griffin, liddell, etc...

http://www.thesportgallery.com/images/marciano-11-4.jpg

for all of you boxing fans: is it really worth paying that god awful amount to watch one fight on ppv worth it? how many people were satisfied with de la hoya/mayweather? ufc puts on ppv's where you watch at least 5 fights and every one of them is potentially a great fight. ufc 72 was the worst looking card on paper the ufc has had in a long time and it turned out to be great. can you say that about boxing? nope.

if the people who ordered the dlh mayweather fight new anything about boxing, they would have known it wasnt going to be a fun fight for the "fans".

seriously, if money is an object for you go watch it at a bar.

and as for ufc 72, i fell asleep i was so bored with it.

meh.

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
because you act like its a big deal that he got knocked out. no not him as in he sux, but it was in response to someone stating every fight he had ever seen has resulting in submissions or on the ground. now i throw out a knockout that was memorable to me and you have come up with this huge theory of what i am lol

$60 for one crappy fight is not better than $40 for 5 or more great fights. AGREE ENTIRELY!!! you get MUCH MUCH more from a UFC ppv. i've only been disappointed with a ufc ppv when sylvia beat arlovski the second time. that wasn't the best card

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 06:29 PM

if the people who ordered the dlh mayweather fight new anything about boxing, they would have known it wasnt going to be a fun fight for the "fans".

yeah, i knew mayweather would evade a lot, but delahoya did a good job cuttin him off on occasions. he stopped throwing that darn jab and it all went downhill

DU_stud04
06-20-2007, 06:32 PM
yeah, i knew mayweather would evade a lot, but delahoya did a good job cuttin him off on occasions. he stopped throwing that darn jab and it all went downhill yup. gotta keep the jap flowin.

so.....who wins this saturday? ricky hatton or jose luis castillo??? :D

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 06:35 PM
yup. gotta keep the jap flowin.

so.....who wins this saturday? ricky hatton or jose luis castillo??? :D ricky hatton. problem with castillo i think is he has been in too many of these wars. but don't be surprised to see castillo pull off the upset! lots of machismo, he'll go till he can't walk!

DU_stud04
06-20-2007, 06:51 PM
ricky hatton. problem with castillo i think is he has been in too many of these wars. but don't be surprised to see castillo pull off the upset! lots of machismo, he'll go till he can't walk! i agree.

do you think castillos 4 inch reach differnce will do alot of good for him?

personally i don't see the reach advantage being anything significant in this fight. hattons the hungrier fighter (both figuratively and literally!) and hes going to do everything it takes to keep his undefeated record. if that means clinching, hes going to clinch. and if that means fighting dirty on the inside, hes going to do exactly that.

DDBooger
06-20-2007, 06:55 PM
i agree.

do you think castillos 4 inch reach differnce will do alot of good for him?

personally i don't see the reach advantage being anything significant in this fight. hattons the hungrier fighter (both figuratively and literally!) and hes going to do everything it takes to keep his undefeated record. if that means clinching, hes going to clinch. and if that means fighting dirty on the inside, hes going to do exactly that. you know it all depends on castillo's strategy, if he chooses to box with intermittent bursts of action perhaps that reach could help, jab jab and jab some more till hatton opens up or gives him the angle he's working on. but Castillo is a brawler with skill, depends which guy shows up. perhaps both decide to just unload on each other and it turns in to who has a better chin!

DU_stud04
06-20-2007, 06:59 PM
perhaps both decide to just unload on each other and it turns in to who has a better chin! i havent seen one like this one since marquez barrera back in mid march.....id have to say it was the best fight of this year. if you havent seen it, youtube it :D

rockdale80
06-21-2007, 02:47 PM
MMA all the way. Been going to grappling and stand up fighting classes for a few months now, and in my opinion MMA is the new generation of fighting.

Gobbla2001
06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
MMA all the way. Been going to grappling and stand up fighting classes for a few months now, and in my opinion MMA is the new generation of fighting.

if there were classes around here I'd take it...

and I'd whup your ass...

rockdale80
06-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
if there were classes around here I'd take it...

and I'd whup your ass...

I will sure let you try, and if you can kudos to you. Whenever you are ready just let me know.

Gobbla2001
06-21-2007, 05:12 PM
I will sure let you try, and if you can kudos to you. Whenever you are ready just let me know.

The fact is that when rockdale80 steps inside of the cage with me I'm gunna unleash the ground-game, 'cept he'll be the only one on the ground...

jk man

rockdale80
06-21-2007, 06:31 PM
The fact is that when rockdale80 steps inside of the cage with me I'm gunna unleash the ground-game, 'cept he'll be the only one on the ground...

jk man

Why do you want to get me on the ground.....

:thinking:

No Show Jones
06-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Boxing is a dying sport and I am not to big on MMA. I am, however, a huge fan of UFC.

Gobbla2001
06-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Why do you want to get me on the ground.....

:thinking:

I don't want to get you on the ground, I'm just gunna put you there...

VanKampen
06-21-2007, 07:52 PM
du stud04: every fight at ufc 72 was at least 10 ten times more entertaining than de la hoya/mayweather. the only reason you could have stayed awake during that "boxing" match is because of the amount of money you paid to watch it or you were just super drunk and thought you were enjoying it. if you fell asleep during ufc 72, then it was just time for your afternoon nap. i've fallen asleep watching good movies before so just because you fell asleep basically says one thing: you were tired. did you really think de la hoya/mayweather was better than the show guida/griffin put on? if so, then go see a doctor and check your testosterone levels unless you are a female, in which case i would understand since most women dont like MMA.

rockdale80
06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't want to get you on the ground, I'm just gunna put you there...

Are you going to romance me a little first....

Gobbla2001
06-21-2007, 07:57 PM
yah I'll romance your chin a bit :inlove:

rockdale80
06-21-2007, 08:11 PM
yah I'll romance your chin a bit :inlove:

That little guy...I wouldnt worry about that little guy.

Gobbla2001
06-21-2007, 08:32 PM
That little guy...I wouldnt worry about that little guy. :eek:

DU_stud04
06-22-2007, 03:07 PM
du stud04: every fight at ufc 72 was at least 10 ten times more entertaining than de la hoya/mayweather. the only reason you could have stayed awake during that "boxing" match is because of the amount of money you paid to watch it or you were just super drunk and thought you were enjoying it. if you fell asleep during ufc 72, then it was just time for your afternoon nap. i've fallen asleep watching good movies before so just because you fell asleep basically says one thing: you were tired. did you really think de la hoya/mayweather was better than the show guida/griffin put on? if so, then go see a doctor and check your testosterone levels unless you are a female, in which case i would understand since most women dont like MMA. funny guy. i just dont care for the dry humping the presist to do over and over again.

i pay no money for the fights..... you think im stupid?

and as for those two fights you mentioned....they were both crap, but atleast i knew one of them was going to be. can you come up with something other than the delahoya mayweather fight to argue with?

my testosterone level is just fine....thank you for being worried.

DU_stud04
06-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by No Show Jones
Boxing is a dying sport and I am not to big on MMA. I am, however, a huge fan of UFC. .........isnt ufc....mma?

DDBooger
06-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Ricky Hatton dropped castillo with a body shot! he called out that punk Mayweather "i think yall saw more action in these 4 rounds than you have in mayweather's entire career" haha or something to that effect! i like this kid! its people like him that will save boxing, quite the opposite of mayweather

DU_stud04
06-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Ricky Hatton dropped castillo with a body shot! he called out that punk Mayweather "i think yall saw more action in these 4 rounds than you have in mayweather's entire career" haha or something to that effect! i like this kid! its people like him that will save boxing, quite the opposite of mayweather it was a mean liver shot, castillo looked like a bum from the get go though. ricky stepped it up from his first two amercian fights and ended this one early. lots of clinching like i thought it would be, but the action didnt stop, lots of inside fighting. castillo is the one who nearly beat mayweather, i think mearly due to the fact he can cut the ring of very well.

i laughed when ricky called out mayweather again, maybe his words can bring floyd out of "retirement" and get him in the ring for a beating. mayweather will evade alot, but ricky will give him a pounding if it happens.

looking at july's boxing line-ups.....looks like it is going to be a good month for boxing :D
Roy Jones Jr.
Wladimir Klitschko
Lamon Brewster
Arturo Gatti
Alfonso Gomez
Oscar Diaz
Antonio Margarito
Bernard Hopkins
Ronald "Winky" Wright

just a few bigger names to be boxing this month

people who like heavy weights going for a sluggfesat on eachother, try and watch Wladimir Klitschko (48-3, 43 Kos)
vs. Lamon Brewster (33-3, 29 KOs) for the 12 rounds, IBF heavyweight title:... brewster won the last meeting and im thinking this one is gonna be a good one this time around, i like klitschko, hope he can win it this time and keep his belt.

VanKampen
06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
funny guy. i just dont care for the dry humping the presist to do over and over again.

i pay no money for the fights..... you think im stupid?

and as for those two fights you mentioned....they were both crap, but atleast i knew one of them was going to be. can you come up with something other than the delahoya mayweather fight to argue with?

my testosterone level is just fine....thank you for being worried.
why should i come up with another fight? nobody ever hears about anyone else who fights because no one cares. that fight was supposed to be the fight that saved boxing. hahaha.

DU_stud04
06-24-2007, 09:56 PM
why should i come up with another fight? nobody ever hears about anyone else who fights because no one cares. that fight was supposed to be the fight that saved boxing. hahaha. anybody who would have believed that ....im not going there.... it brought people to watch the match, but that kind of fight wouldnt do anything but help ratings for that one night. if any weightclass is going to "save" boxing, it would be in the heavyweights....which have been lacking for some years now.

one sigle match isnt going to save boxing, bringing it back to mainstream is the key. boxing was removed because it was deemed to violent for television...... i havent heard that excuse for mma yet being too violent( not saying it isnt, just havent see people trying to take it offf televison like they did boxing)....but if boxing wants any kind of industry boom/move, it needs to find a way back to main stream television.

the big names are starting to get older and far from their prime, its time for some new cats to come in and just start knocking each other around with some flash.

nobody ever hears about anyone else who fights because no one cares.
the ones who care hear about them....just as the ones who care for mma hear about that, i dont ever hear anything thing about mma cause i dont care for it, so your argument is worthless.

Emerson1
06-24-2007, 10:02 PM
One problem with boxing is it seems like the good boxers only fight once a year. Maybe it's because only PPVs get advertised.

DDBooger
07-12-2007, 07:57 PM
mayorga vs vargas...fight at press conference. if there is one thing about mayorga, he is entertaining!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUZXvnUo_zo

DU_stud04
07-12-2007, 08:22 PM
mayorga vs vargas...fight at press conference. if there is one thing about mayorga, he is entertaining!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUZXvnUo_zo vargas's last fight, regardless of the results. mayorga likes to run his mouth, and last time he did it it brought delahoya into the ring.....dlh tko'd mayorga in 6.

what do you think of the bump weight to 162?