PDA

View Full Version : Jon Daniels received an extension?

JR2004
06-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Maybe my ears heard wrong listening on the radio, but did he just get extended to 2009 I believe they said it was?

If that's true I just can't see how anyone can keep supporting them when ineptitude gets rewarded with an extension.

Adidas410s
06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
ARLINGTON -- Showing faith in the future rather than disappointment in the present, Rangers owner Tom Hicks has given general manager Jon Daniels a one-year contract extension through the 2009 season.
Daniels originally agreed to a three-year contract through the 2008 season when he was promoted from assistant general manager to replace John Hart at the end of the 2005 season.

"Jon and I have had numerous meetings in the past few weeks about where we are, what we need to do to improve, and how to take advantage of the great young players in our system," Hicks said. "I wanted Jon to know he has my confidence and I wanted to express that publicly so Jon can go about the business of building a baseball team.

"Jon's got some hard decisions to make as we go into the next month, and I wanted to make sure he felt completely empowered to make the changes he feels we need to make."

In making the announcement, Hicks and Daniels admitted that they are disappointed with the Rangers' 26-43 record, the worst in the Major Leagues. They acknowledged that the Rangers will have to be a "seller" in the upcoming trade market leading up to the July 31 trade deadline.

But they strongly believe that there are enough good things going on with scouting and player development to justify maintaining their current course.

"We still have a significant job and significant challenges ahead," Daniels said. "As far as what's happened at the Major League level, we haven't played as well as we'd like, and I shoulder full responsibility for that.

"But there are a lot of great things going on in the organization. I believe in this management group and I believe in the plan, and I'm excited as we go forward. I take this as a show of confidence not in me, but in the management people we have in place."

Daniels said Tuesday's announcement has no direct impact on manager Ron Washington, who is signed through 2008. Daniels said the club will discuss the possibility of a contract extension for Washington, most likely at the end of the season. "Ron is an integral part of our leadership-management team on the field," Daniels said.

Daniels has already begun talking with other clubs about possible trades, and most of the interest has been in relievers Akinori Otsuka and Eric Gagne.

"It's not the position I want to be in, but that's the position we're in," Daniels said. "We're trying to evaluate what gives us the best opportunity to acquire the best talent, but I don't want to be disruptive at the Major League level."

First baseman Mark Teixeira, who is currently on the disabled list with a strained quadriceps muscle, has also been mentioned as a possibility. But Daniels made it clear that the Rangers are not shopping Teixeira, and another club would have to make a significant offer for them to even consider it.

"We've said Mark is a great player and we'd like for him to end his career with the Rangers," Hicks said. "But we recognize because of the reality of the system, it may or may not be possible for Mark to stay with us long-term.

"The challenge for Jon is if somebody makes us an offer on [Teixeira] or anybody that improves the team long-term. That's the challenge Jon faces this year, in the offseason and up until Mark Teixeira's contract expires."

Teixeira, shortstop Michael Young and third baseman Hank Blalock are part of the core talent that Daniels thought was ready to win when he took over as general manager.

That's why he moved aggressively in making moves that he thought could help the Rangers win immediately. Most notable and painful was trading pitcher Chris Young, first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and outfielder Terrmel Sledge to the San Diego Padres for Otsuka, pitcher Adam Eaton and Minor League catcher Billy Killian.

"We thought there was a window to win and we made some decisions to capitalize on that," Daniels said. "Some worked, some did not. I fully shoulder the responsibility for that."

Daniels said the organization has been operating with the goal of being successful at the Major League level immediately and building a long-term player development system for the future. He said it has been difficult to do both, and believes the Rangers have been better at rebuilding the farm system.

Double-A Frisco pitcher Eric Hurley (7-1, 2.55 ERA) and outfielder John Mayberry Jr. are the Rangers' most prominent prospects, and Triple-A outfielders Kevin Mahar and Jason Botts and pitcher A.J. Murray have seen at least some time in the big leagues. Third baseman Travis Metcalf recently joined the big-league team and had a good weekend in Cincinnati.

Thomas Diamond, the Rangers' No. 1 pick in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft, is out for the season with Tommy John ligament replacement surgery.

Most of the talent is below Double-A, including pitchers Kasey Kiker and Omar Poveda, infielders John Whittleman and Marcus Lemon and outfielders Chad Tracy and K.C. Herren at Class A Clinton; pitcher Michael Schlact, catcher Taylor Teagarden and infielder Chris Davis at Class A Bakersfield; and pitcher Fabio Castillo, catcher Christian Santana and shortstop Andres James in extended spring.

Other Frisco players who could be prominent in the Rangers' future include pitchers Doug Mathis and Edinson Volquez, outfielder Steve Murphy and infielder German Duran. The Rangers also have high hopes for the 2007 Draft class, headlined by pitchers Blake Beavan, Michael Main, Neil Ramirez and Tommy Hunter and outfielder Julio Borbon.

"Our goal is to be one of the premier development organizations in the game," Daniels said. "We've got a ways to go to, but we've made progress in the last year and a half and even before that. It's a process, and talent acquisition is extremely competitive. But as far as scouting and player development, a premium will be placed on that."

The Rangers are also trying to build some stability in an organization that has undergone constant, unceasing change since general manager Doug Melvin was dismissed at the end of the 2001 season. The Rangers have averaged one change in a major leadership position every year since then and numerous other moves among the Major League, scouting and player development staffs.

"This organization needs stability," Hicks said.

Adidas410s
06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
I love this picture from the press conference. You can tell JD is thinking, "What the hell is Hicks thinking? Oh well...good for me!"

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2007/01/06/zU6diA3g.jpg

crzyjournalist03
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Jon Daniels can't be blamed for all the issues that the franchise is having. A lot of it starts with the drafts of Melvin and Hart. Sure, Daniels has made some trades that have bit him in the butt, but at the time, none of them looked egregious. But Daniels has had exactly two drafts under his reign, one of which was last week and looks promising. Many of last year's picks are tearing up the minors and looking like legit prospects.

And it's not as though he's made horrible signings. At the time, Kevin Millwood was the premier pitcher on the market...good move. He's acquired both Tejeda and Padilla from Philadelphia for absolutely nothing. He got Sammy Sosa in here on a low risk contract that has been more than worth it, and he just signed Michael Young to a five year extension.

Yes, the team looks bad right now, but hasty decisions don't get teams anywhere. Look at the Orioles...they fired yet another manager this week, and they haven't had a winning season in a decade.

The Braves got good in the 90s by sticking with their players and managers in rough times. George Steinbrunner has held on to Brian Cashman through some rough times when it looked like he wouldn't, and the Yankees keep contending. I'm not saying the Rangers will turn into either of these franchises, but giving JD more time is a very good and new approach in my opinion.

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
This is a good move..Daniels tried to hit some homeruns in trades because the talent base in texas is so bad. they did not work out..BUT the position he was put in is to run a franchise with TERRIBLE famr system due to Hart and his lack of well doing anything and how far he put the franchise back.

Adidas410s
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
At the time, Kevin Millwood was the premier pitcher on the market...good move. He's acquired both Tejeda and Padilla from Philadelphia for absolutely nothing.

Millwood had also been pitching in very pitcher friendly ballparks before he came here. That contributed to the better numbers. To get Tejada and Padilla he gave up David Dellucci, a team leader...and we sure could use one right now! :) I will say that keeping Mike Young long term was a great move though. Now he just needs to get appropriate trade value for Teixeira THIS year...

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Millwood had also been pitching in very pitcher friendly ballparks before he came here. That contributed to the better numbers. To get Tejada and Padilla he gave up David Dellucci, a team leader...and we sure could use one right now! :) I will say that keeping Mike Young long term was a great move though. Now he just needs to get appropriate trade value for Teixeira THIS year...

Yes Delucci was a leader..BUT if Tejada turns out to even be a solid starter it is a great move..I will trade a journeyman OF for a pitcher ANY DAY..and Tejada is still decently young

crzyjournalist03
06-19-2007, 01:45 PM

Millwood had led the AL in ERA with the Indians the year the Rangers signed him, and I wouldn't call Jacobs Field a pitchers' park. I wouldn't give up Tejeda for Dellucci today...he's been nothing more than a reserve since we traded him. And Padilla was in a different trade where we gave up Ricardo Rodriguez.

kepdawg
06-19-2007, 01:46 PM

Oh, no! Not a Dellucci apologist! ;)

Adidas410s
06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Oh, no! Not a Dellucci apologist! ;)

He was a quality utility player...and we sure could use somebody in the OF right now too! :mad:

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2007, 01:56 PM
He was a quality utility player...and we sure could use somebody in the OF right now too! :mad:

I will take a chance on pitching over OF anyday

Keith7
06-19-2007, 02:03 PM

he wasn't much of a utility player (as he only played D.H. or leftfield) plus he was old..

While I don't totally agree with Jon Daniels and resigning him.. I do think its good that the Rangers are sticking with him.. teams that change G.M.s everyother year end up rebuilding their team everyother year too.. This allows the Rangers to show some stability in their program with out going overboard.. plus by the time his contract is over with it should be pretty clear if the moves he has made so far as g.m. have panned out and that will give hicks a better opportunity to see if they want to lock him down long term..

Macarthur
06-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I think the jury is still out on Daniels. He's done some good things, but the Chris Young/Gonzales trade has turned out to be horrible.

The issue I have is, why does it need to be done right now? It just looks bad at face value. Are we afraid someone is going to swoop in and hire him away from us? I agree that he has been saddled with Hart's mess; I just don't see why it's necessary at this point.