PDA

View Full Version : What keeps Vance in Liberty Hill?

CautionOrange
06-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Just curious. He is good friends with former Caldwell coach, Rick Cobia, who is now in Taylor. Vance first started at LH back when they played Caldwell in the season opener about six or seven years ago. By now, coaches like that take jobs at 4A or 5A schools.

Old Tiger
06-17-2007, 10:24 PM
I heard he is about to retire and be an AD or something

Emerson1
06-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Doesn't seem like a run only offense like that would work in 4a or 5a.

Adidas410s
06-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
did you miss Garland a few years ago when they won state using the Wing T???

burnet44
06-17-2007, 10:39 PM
winning

sinton66
06-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Vance is only a couple years from retirement. He won state last year and has a ton coming back. I think I would stay too. He'll retire as AD/HC, run for mayor and win. After about five years at that, he'll run for governor.;)

Gobbla2001
06-17-2007, 10:47 PM
those kids have bought into his system... play extremely hard... why would he want to leave?

g$$
06-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
those kids have bought into his system... play extremely hard... why would he want to leave?

Exactly. Good town, good people, good program, good place to live, pretty much all good. At this stage of his career, why leave?

Phantom Stang
06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Euless Trinity has done quite well using a run based offense.

g$$
06-18-2007, 12:56 AM

Ever heard of Gordon Wood & his style of play? How about Darrell Royal or Bear Bryant? It is not what you run but HOW you run it that matters. The spread may be in vogue, but basic & simple still works when executed with some athletes. Schemes run in cycles & coaches are the biggest copy-cats ever too. If something is working, you can bet your paycheck others will give it a try ASAP.

scotty
06-18-2007, 06:22 AM
When TJ Mills left Sealy and took a job that raised his retirement, it pretty much wrecked his coaching career. The Sealy kids were sold on his program and there isn't any tellin how many more games they would have won. Now Sealy is in a rebuilding program with a new coach.
Mickey Finley won last year at Schulenburg with pretty much a smash-mouth program. I think if you have the kids that type of football works very well.

LH Panther Mom
06-18-2007, 06:42 AM
What keeps any coach anywhere?

BullFrog Dad
06-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Maybe he just wants to be remembered as 'Liberty Vance'!

Gsquared
06-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Now thats funny right there!

maestro
06-18-2007, 07:15 AM
a super quality guy....

and the community has everything that a coach could desire...

LHdog
06-18-2007, 07:38 AM
He's "the man" at Liberty Hill. Anywhere else, just another coach.

CautionOrange
06-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by LHdog
He's "the man" at Liberty Hill. Anywhere else, just another coach.

... and money doesn't talk? Come on now.

winthebigone
06-18-2007, 08:01 AM
The biggest mistake made by many coaches is leaving a place where you have it rolling, you are happy, and people love you. Yet, coaches do it all the time. Billy Clyde left a place where he would have become a legend, to chase the mythical "National Title". Billy Donovan almost made the biggest mistake of his life leaving Florida. Lou Holtz always said taking the Jets job was the worst mistake he ever made. Dick Vitale was a highly successful college coach and did not succeed as a professional coach. The coaching mentality in some ways isn't any different than the drive to compete on the field. Some feel if they aren't always striving to move someplace better, then they are lettting themselves down. Some coaches are in it to win games/titles, and some are in it to raise young men. Unfortunately the days of a high school coach staying in one town his whole career are gone.

CautionOrange
06-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by winthebigone
The biggest mistake made by many coaches is leaving a place where you have it rolling, you are happy, and people love you. Yet, coaches do it all the time. Billy Clyde left a place where he would have become a legend, to chase the mythical "National Title". Billy Donovan almost made the biggest mistake of his life leaving Florida. Lou Holtz always said taking the Jets job was the worst mistake he ever made. Dick Vitale was a highly successful college coach and did not succeed as a professional coach. The coaching mentality in some ways isn't any different than the drive to compete on the field. Some feel if they aren't always striving to move someplace better, then they are lettting themselves down. Some coaches are in it to win games/titles, and some are in it to raise young men. Unfortunately the days of a high school coach staying in one town his whole career are gone.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here, but coaches tend to look out for the bottom line. Coaches used to small town politics rarely can conform to traditional big-city "I don't care if he IS your kid, play the senior" philosophy. You can't pull the wool over big-city street smart boosters like you can in comparably tinier schools.

Centextrash
06-18-2007, 08:24 AM

San Marcos went to the quarterfinals running the Slot T
Gregory Portland has ran the Slot for many years.
I would say both offenses are successful.

It is not always about what you run. Its HOW you run it.
Do your players "buy" into it.
Do your COACHES know it and "buy" into it.
Does your community buy into it.

If the answers is yes to all of those, then you will be successful. Either throwing the ball or running it.

maestro
06-18-2007, 08:35 AM
true...

BILLYFRED0000
06-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
What keeps any coach anywhere?
What keeps any coach coaching. There just are not that many Celina and LH towns out there anymore. Too many people just think they ought to be the coach from the stands in most places.

Phantom Stang
06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Centextrash

It is not always about what you run. Its HOW you run it.
Do your players "buy" into it.
Do your COACHES know it and "buy" into it.
Does your community buy into it.

If the answers is yes to all of those, then you will be successful. Either throwing the ball or running it.
Well said!!:clap:

LH Panther Mom
06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Too many people just think they ought to be the coach from the stands in most places.
Oh, we have a few bleacher coaches here. :doh:

BILLYFRED0000
06-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, we do too. G A comes to mind when he comes to the games. But then again, he was the winningest coach in texas football history so I guess he counts. But what I really mean is that we have some people who have enough smarts to call the game differently and sometimes even suggest something the coaches pick up on. But more's the pity on the town where anybody with an opinion can hold the coaches feet to the fire. I asked Coach Elliot last year bout what keeps him coaching and he just said Celina.... I said I kinda understand that and he said there weren't too many Celina's out there. And it was not just about the quality of the kids as it was the quality of the town and the way we liked things. It is starting to grow out here. I hope we can keep things simple.

LH Panther Mom
06-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Well, we do too. G A comes to mind when he comes to the games. But then again, he was the winningest coach in texas football history so I guess he counts. But what I really mean is that we have some people who have enough smarts to call the game differently and sometimes even suggest something the coaches pick up on. But more's the pity on the town where anybody with an opinion can hold the coaches feet to the fire. I asked Coach Elliot last year bout what keeps him coaching and he just said Celina.... I said I kinda understand that and he said there weren't too many Celina's out there. And it was not just about the quality of the kids as it was the quality of the town and the way we liked things. It is starting to grow out here. I hope we can keep things simple.
Oh, I get you. I guess our bleacher coaches just "think" they're better qualified than the ones on the field, if you get my drift. None of them are actual coaches. Heck, we have one who can call better plays, run better patterns, tackle & block better.....and I think officiate better. :doh:

If I had to guess what keeps Vance here, it would be that he likes it....and is well liked. It's a nice town to live and at some point retire, in. The kids "bought into" what he had to say back before my oldest son's Junior season in 2001. And all those kids who followed are believers as well.

BILLYFRED0000
06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Oh, I get you. I guess our bleacher coaches just "think" they're better qualified than the ones on the field, if you get my drift. None of them are actual coaches. Heck, we have one who can call better plays, run better patterns, tackle & block better.....and I think officiate better. :doh:

Yes I get you. I would love to see a rematch. Just two good towns and teams havin fun playin the game. Sure was fun last year......

If I had to guess what keeps Vance here, it would be that he likes it....and is well liked. It's a nice town to live and at some point retire, in. The kids "bought into" what he had to say back before my oldest son's Junior season in 2001. And all those kids who followed are believers as well.

BILLYFRED0000
06-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes I get you. I would love to see a rematch. Just two good towns and teams havin fun playin the game. Sure was fun last year......

bobcat1
06-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I think he stays because he loves Barney and Barney is purple too.:D

BILLYFRED0000
Originally posted by bobcat1
roflmao

Snydertigersrul
Originally posted by bobcat1