PDA

View Full Version : Question for ALL

EagleFan1997
06-17-2007, 08:53 AM
How many past or present officals are on this board. In other words if you have or still do officate Football I would like to know. I use to 2 yrs ago up here in the Amarillo Chapter. Until my occupation got in my way. Security & Officating does not go hand & hand.

3afan
06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
TXMke / VAMike - you out there?

coiled2strike
06-17-2007, 02:22 PM
i officiated in the beaumont chapter for a few years...started w/ football,basketball,baseball, but got into volleyball and let the others go...but that has been some time ago

zebrablue2
06-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by EagleFan1997
How many past or present officals are on this board. In other words if you have or still do officate Football I would like to know. I use to 2 yrs ago up here in the Amarillo Chapter. Until my occupation got in my way. Security & Officating does not go hand & hand.

I work softball and football out of the college station chapter. been doing softball 10 plus years and football for 8. I did hardball for 7 years. If there are any down lowers that would like to jump on board, go to the taso web site and check it out. my job also makes it hard to get to games. that is the problem for many people. for young people in college, it is a great way to make some pocket change and stay close to the sport you played in high school. I enjoy football the most. lots of fun being on the field on friday nights. my main purpose for being an offical is to give back to the kids. although we get the boo's sometime, my goal is to call a fair, and most of all, safe game each and every time I step on the field..

pooch
06-17-2007, 09:42 PM
man, hats off to you and the other officials...makes me weep when i hear how some of these folks act like the officials aren't doing their job and just get lambasted, you know?

Snydertigersrul
06-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by pooch
man, hats off to you and the other officials...makes me weep when i hear how some of these folks act like the officials aren't doing their job and just get lambasted, you know?

Thank you for your support and encouragement

EagleFan1997
06-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Same here thanks for the support. It's not easy

Old Tiger
06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
a ref of the downlow reffed a 7on7 tournament we were in and had our pool and the semi final game.

Later that year he reffed a regular game

zebrablue2
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
a ref of the downlow reffed a 7on7 tournament we were in and had our pool and the semi final game.

Later that year he reffed a regular game

and your point is?

BILLYFRED0000
06-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Hey I love the Zebra's. It is tough to call a game. It is one of those endeavors that takes so much concentraction and even if you are spot on there is still so much to see. I have only seen one or two games that I thought the officiating was really bad or biased and I have been to a lot of games of all sorts. Keep doing what you do cause if you didn't it would be hard to have a game.

BILLYFRED0000
06-18-2007, 09:51 PM
oops.....

zebrablue2
06-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Hey I love the Zebra's. It is tough to call a game. It is one of those endeavors that takes so much concentraction and even if you are spot on there is still so much to see. I have only seen one or two games that I thought the officiating was really bad or biased and I have been to a lot of games of all sorts. Keep doing what you do cause if you didn't it would be hard to have a game.

It would be great in UIL if they would add a sixth official on the field. Kids now days are so big, strong and fast, a sixth would really make a difference. Ref's numbers have been going down the past 10 years, and the state as a whole is on the stress line. I still fuss the ref's at some games I attend, but it is when a call goes against my team, a close one that could go either way. All part of the game. You are right, without officials the game will not be played, so I hope people will step up and join a crew. A night out on the town, and getting some well-deserved exercise.

EagleFan1997
06-18-2007, 10:25 PM
If you love giving back to the kids then please go and find your local TASO and start officating. Like zebrablue2 said the numbers have been going down. I know I worked in a chapter that has a hard time keeping officals. So if your job will allow you to. Go find out where your local taso chapter is and give back to those kids. Becuase those kids deserve to beable to play the sport they love.

I promise if it was not for me being in security I would be right back out there. I loved it. When you do it for the 1st year you just can't get it out of you system. I still catch my self setting in the stands at a Canyon Eagles game and calling a penalty that I saw. SSo please give back to those kids that get to do what they love.

Stownhorse
06-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Man I umpired for Little League last year and man it can get brutal out there. I might question or disagree with a call but never heckle or blame a loss on a ref. Thats why the OFFICIALS are on the field and not a random fan.

EagleFan1997
06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Well I know that if the offical don't show up for a scrimmage up here in the Amarillo Chapter the Coaches will get a parent to help

zebrablue2
06-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Man I umpired for Little League last year and man it can get brutal out there. I might question or disagree with a call but never heckle or blame a loss on a ref. Thats why the OFFICIALS are on the field and not a random fan.

Do not let little league or pee wee run you off. As you get more experience and move up to jr. high, sub varsity and finally friday nights, it gets easier. little league is the hardest to call, but we all have to start somewhere. hopefully you can work with seasoned officials who will teach you the ropes. keep trying..

EagleFan1997
06-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey I have already been under the Friday Night Lights. I did that first year. I mainly worked Six Man Football WOW what a blast that is. I also have worked JV, 7th,8th,9th