PDA

View Full Version : One high school in Abilene

Snydertigersrul
06-16-2007, 09:31 PM
In the last few weeks, I read stories that mentioned the possiblity of one high school in Abilene. To all of your Abilene people, do you think that this might happen down the road. The benefit would be one of the state's largest districts and also put the best athletes from Abilene High, Cooper and Wylie on one team. What's everyone's thoughts on the subject.

wildstangs
06-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Eventually it will happen...Wont include Wylie though, just Abilene High and Cooper.

What would be really interesting to see would be Abilene and Cooper drop to 4A and Wylie move up. Probably wont happen for Wylie though since the cutoff keeps rising.

Snydertigersrul
06-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Eventually it will happen...Wont include Wylie though, just Abilene High and Cooper.

What would be really interesting to see would be Abilene and Cooper drop to 4A and Wylie move up. Probably wont happen for Wylie though since the cutoff keeps rising.

Under the new proposed plan of realignment, Wylie could be thrown into the lower tier of 4A. Of course, they have "fixed" figures for years and managed to stay in 3A. I've heard the possiblity of Wylie being in the same district as Decatur under the new plan. I guess we will find out at the Legislative Council's meeting in October. Snyder and Sweetwater apparently are on the bubble between Division I and II under the proposal.

pooch
06-16-2007, 09:36 PM
why are they consolidating?

Snydertigersrul
06-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by pooch

From all of the stories that I read, it was unclear, but like everything else, it may come down to money.

Snydertigersrul
06-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
From all of the stories that I read, it was unclear, but like everything else, it may come down to money.

Maybe Injured with that brilliant mind of his can shed light on the subject.

pooch
06-16-2007, 09:39 PM
sooooo, they'll have it that way for 10 years like in Victoria, then split back up...?@?@?@?@?

kepdawg
06-16-2007, 09:39 PM
I've heard rumors of Abilene and Cooper consolidating for years. It wouldn't include Wylie because Wylie is it's own ISD. It's one of those things that I'll believe it when I see it!

Snydertigersrul
06-16-2007, 09:40 PM
sooooo, they'll have it that way for 10 years like in Victoria, then split back up...?@?@?@?@?

These days, what schools do doesn't surprise me. Everything centers around money.

wildstangs
06-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Declining enrollment...they are worried that they will not be able to offer all the programs they currently have if they drop to the 4A level.

And no, Wylie doesn't fix numbers...Come on STR, your not from Merkel.

Snydertigersrul
06-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I've heard rumors of Abilene and Cooper consolidating for years. It wouldn't include Wylie because Wylie is it's own ISD. It's one of those things that I'll believe it when I see it!

I know that Wylie is not a part of Abilene ISD right now, but who knows (excecpt for Injured) if that could change down the line.

Keith7
06-16-2007, 09:50 PM
that would be a big high school

Snydertigersrul
06-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
that would be a big high school

It probably will happen one day, but not in the near future.

thewyliefan
06-16-2007, 10:59 PM
last time i checked the city voted aginst joining the 2 Ahigh and cooper. and that was last year when they voted that. i dont think it will happen anytime soon.

injuredinmelee
06-17-2007, 03:55 AM
AISd has faced shrinking enrollment for about 10 yrs now. Cooper was dangerously close to falling to 4A in the last realignment and many thought that it was going to happen. Both campuses are severely outdated and in desperate need of repair and upgrade. There are parts of bth campuses also that are nearly uninhabitable. If you have ever had the displeasure of being inside the kitchen at the Cooper cafeteria you would NEVER NEVER NEVER eat there again. There are also budget issues yearly. The last Supt before Dr. Polnick left a mess to be cleaned up district-wide. I am in favor of the one high school idea and hope that it happens soon. The biggest reason I hear against the idea from people around town is TRADITION. Screw tradition. Tradition doesnt pay the bills and tradition doesnt educate my children.

Matthew328
06-17-2007, 04:01 AM
I dont have a problem with consolidation but don't do like Victoria and consolidate for about 7 years and then turn around and split again...thats just stupid...

Phantom Stang
06-17-2007, 04:12 PM
What programs would they have to eliminate if each school dropped to 4A?

Snydertigersrul
06-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
What programs would they have to eliminate if each school dropped to 4A?

NONE

Emerson1
06-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't think it's the fact that they would be in 4a as to why they would have to drop different programs. It's the lack of students to be in those programs. Why spend money on a program if only 5 kids are gonna be in it.

Snydertigersrul
06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't think it's the fact that they would be in 4a as to why they would have to drop different programs. It's the lack of students to be in those programs. Why spend money on a program if only 5 kids are gonna be in it.

If the schools ever combine, they would be a 5A SCHOOL, not a 4A.

Emerson1
06-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
If the schools ever combine, they would be a 5A SCHOOL, not a 4A.
Well someone said something about declining enrollment numbers. If the enrollment gets to low you have to start cutting programs because of a lack of money and interest.

DU_stud04
06-17-2007, 05:41 PM
ive heard about this for a while now, if they combine which school would they go to? that would be one big 5a school. and, do you make cooper people become eagles...viceversa or do you start brand new?

Snydertigersrul
06-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
ive heard about this for a while now, if they combine which school would they go to? that would be one big 5a school. and, do you make cooper people become eagles...viceversa or do you start brand new?

That's a very good question. First, the patrons in each district would have to vote for consolidation, wh ich might be difficult. Second, I would guess a new school would start over with a mascot, colors, etc. Another good question will be who would be the head coaches.

:thinking:

Phantom Stang
06-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
That's valid logic. However, I don't see either school dropping to less than 1,700 students any time in the foreseeable future, so I really don't think lack of participation would be a problem. As a matter of fact, should they remain two separate schools, students would have a better chance of participating in activities such as one act play, where a school is limited as far as how many can participate.