PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Caldwell?

CautionOrange
06-14-2007, 09:53 PM
JV was 9-1 last year and best all-district players (QB and TB) are back plus return of FB Xavier Canto is reported to raise the team's momentum. I think the guy rushed for 170 yards per game on JV last year.

Any word on offseason success?

buff4life
06-15-2007, 01:17 AM
but look at your post...key word JV...any varsity type kid can do that...he'll be average....it doesn't mean greatness

CautionOrange
06-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Before he was declared ineligible by UIL because of his parents' dual residency, he played varsity and ignited Caldwell to a measly 47-6 win over Class 4A Elgin (a team that lost by nearly the same point-spread to Brenham in bi-district).

In that game, he rushed for nearly 200 yards and at least three touchdowns.

A certain 39-28 score last year might have been far different with him - especially when considering it resulted from Caldwell miscues.

A majority of those same players he dominated on JV will be on their school's varsity facing him again. Can't wait.

Wait and see who will be average.

By the way, isn't there a cutoff age for playing varsity - or is that waived if you're a coach's son? Just curious.

CHS_CG
06-15-2007, 07:54 AM
As long as he works hard Canto is a great player.. its really not gunna be the same with out seeing Danny Deere(last years #8) out there he was a very good player and he worked hard for it every day of his life. I dont know what the scoop is on caldwell, I dont know a lot of people in High school (if any) any more so I dont get juicey details.

CautionOrange
06-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
As long as he works hard Canto is a great player.. its really not gunna be the same with out seeing Danny Deere(last years #8) out there he was a very good player and he worked hard for it every day of his life. I dont know what the scoop is on caldwell, I dont know a lot of people in High school (if any) any more so I dont get juicey details.

Thanks for the input, CHS_CG. Whatever you do, though, don't make the mistake of saying anything encouraging about Caldwell players on here. It might cause a riot in Giddings.

CHS_CG
06-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by CautionOrange
Thanks for the input, CHS_CG. Whatever you do, though, don't make the mistake of saying anything encouraging about Caldwell players on here. It might cause a riot in Giddings.

trust me I have been on this board since 2002 geez almost 5 years... and the last thing I am worried about is a Giddings person gettin their panties in a wad

44INAROW
06-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the board OrangeCaution :)

CautionOrange
06-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Welcome to the board OrangeCaution :)

Yea, it took a whopping first-time post to feel welcome.

coiled2strike
06-15-2007, 08:31 AM
I know they are about to add some quality to their coaching staff...ha
by the way, i need a new screen name...something w/ a caldwell sting to it...any ideas

44INAROW
06-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
I know they are about to add some quality to their coaching staff...ha
by the way, i need a new screen name...something w/ a caldwell sting to it...any ideas

does this mean you're headed to Caldwell?

coiled2strike
06-15-2007, 08:39 AM
yes, waiting on board approval at the end of the month

44INAROW
06-15-2007, 08:41 AM
well, good luck...... ;)

coiled2strike
06-15-2007, 08:43 AM
thanks, i really appreciate it

CHS_CG
06-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
yes, waiting on board approval at the end of the month

totally awesome! I might actually have to go to more of our games this year lol!

LH Panther Mom
06-15-2007, 04:10 PM
It might cause a riot in Giddings. :thinking: :thinking: That was random.

winthebigone
06-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Anybody have any comments on DC Texas Football's 23-3A rankings?

1. Giddings
2. Bellville
3. Navasota
4. LaGrange
5. Caldwell
6. Smithville

Giddings is also the pre-season #1 team in 3A.

Several questions can be asked:

1. Can Fitzehenry fully recover from his knee injury?
2. Can Navasota build momentum from last year?
3. Can Bellville reload like they always do?
4. How will graduation affect LaGrange?
5. How good can Caldwell be in their second year running the LH offense?

Old Tiger
06-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
As long as he works hard Canto is a great player.. its really not gunna be the same with out seeing Danny Deere(last years #8) out there he was a very good player and he worked hard for it every day of his life. I dont know what the scoop is on caldwell, I dont know a lot of people in High school (if any) any more so I dont get juicey details. when he wasn't injured he was okay. You Caldwell people over-rate him

CautionOrange
06-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
when he wasn't injured he was okay. You Caldwell people over-rate him

Well, Caldwell beat Rockdale 27-0 on the road so he must have done something right.

winthebigone
06-17-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm going to repost my original question as a new thread. I'd like to hear the 23-3A folks chime in on the what the race will look like.

Bull's-eye
06-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by winthebigone
Anybody have any comments on DC Texas Football's 23-3A rankings?

1. Giddings
2. Bellville
3. Navasota
4. LaGrange
5. Caldwell
6. Smithville

I think Caldwell should be in the second or third spot. I'm not sure why they aren't getting any respect?

CautionOrange
06-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I think Caldwell should be in the second or third spot. I'm not sure why they aren't getting any respect?

Only because they're inconsistent. Every three or four years, they decide to have a good season and get tired after the second playoff round. They need to realize the state encompasses more than 75 square miles. Even in non-district, they schedule teams less than 80 miles. The farthest they traveled was Needville (108 miles one way) in the 90's, and Mexia (86 miles).

I think for shear education alone, all teams should schedule at least one non-district game 150 miles or more from home. It's also a good way to gauge how your team matches up with teams in other regions if you end up in the playoffs (common opponnents, etc.)

From what I hear, Caldwell has the senior talent this year to win no fewer than eight games. After seeing nearby perennial doormat Somerville go to the fourth round last year and make school history, it's almost embarrassing that the county seat's team (Caldwell) hasn't done so.

If they play their cards right, the district should finish as follows:

Giddings and Caldwell should play for the district title (it will boil down to whether Giddings defense can hold off at least four offensive threats Caldwell sports. If Fitzhenry plays (how old is he?) to his potential, he seems to be the only MAJOR offensive threat the Buffs will have but their program has tradition now and will have to reload. Caldwell's offense will have to compensate for a slightly reloaded defense which, luckily, is the head coach's forte.

Third place will likely be Bellville mainly because of its tradition-rich program. Caldwell gets them at home this year -- and there SHOULD be a price to pay after last season's 26-point, five-minute comeback that left Caldwell at home when Bellville had already clinched a bi-district berth.

Navasota looks to improve, but I see Navasota and a rebuilding La Grange squad as two potential spoilers. Navasota wants to christen its new stadium in fashion, I'd assume, and La Grange typically revives its momentum by the fourth week.

Look for Smithville to post a couple wins this year. There's too much desire there with fresh blood guiding the team. They say the new coach really recruited athletes in the off-season, which is what Rick Cobia did when he got to Caldwell before securing back-to-back playoff berths before he left to Taylor (can't imagine why).

Caldwell's future is in its own hands (what else is new?) Only four or five projected starters are not seniors and Sims is an extremely capable back who can score at will (ask Elgin, Bellville and La Grange). Xavier Canto is so frustrated after being declared ineligible last year for a parental dual residency issue that I look for him to come out smoking. Giddings, Bellville and La Grange are lucky he didn't play varsity last year - and I think they will agree he has enormous collegiate potential. After he ignited Caldwell to the 47-6 win over the eventual 4A playoff team (Elgin) in the opener last fall, he boosted the JV to eight of its nine wins. In fact, I hear he scored about 80 percent of the team's points for the year (and keep in mind that he is going up against many of the same players who have moved up to the varsity level as well.)

Bull19
06-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Third place will likely be Bellville mainly because of its tradition-rich program. Caldwell gets them at home this year -- and there SHOULD be a price to pay after last season's 26-point, five-minute comeback that left Caldwell at home when Bellville had already clinched a bi-district berth.

ACTUALLY IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY BELLVILLE DIDNT HAVE THE PLAYOFF SPOT LOCKED UP.

buff4life
06-17-2007, 01:12 PM

barely been on the bored and your already talking crap about Giddings? wow...Caldwell doesn't beat Giddings in much of anything anymore...but on another note Cassius Bradley is moving to Caldwell this next school year from Giddings

CautionOrange
06-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
barely been on the bored and your already talking crap about Giddings? wow...Caldwell doesn't beat Giddings in much of anything anymore...but on another note Cassius Bradley is moving to Caldwell this next school year from Giddings

... and you DON'T talk crap about other schools, including Caldwell? I beg to differ. And for the record, you might want to review the all-time record books, including those from the past decade. Caldwell has beaten Giddings more and posted back-to-back upset shutouts 7-0 and 25-0 on YOUR turf as well as a 14-3 home win that Caldwell was expected to lose by 10 points.
Giddings has had plenty to boast about in recent years (and believe me - they do every chance they get), but I think it's pretty fair to say that each school takes turns handing the other its butts on a plate.

Isn't Fitzhenry going to turn 19 during the season? Could swear a teammate said that last year. Just curious.

BTW, it's "barely on the BOARD," not bored.

CautionOrange
06-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
ACTUALLY IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY BELLVILLE DIDNT HAVE THE PLAYOFF SPOT LOCKED UP.

The only way Bellville could miss the playoffs last year was to lose to Caldwell by more than 18 - and I doubt you could find three people with functioning brains who would have expected that to happen - including UIL.

If they didn't already have it locked up, it was mighty presumptuous of them to run the scoreboard message that read. "Bi-District: Bellville vs. West Columbia at 7:30 pm Friday, November 19, at Rhodes Stadium in Katy", don't you think?

zebrablue2
06-17-2007, 07:35 PM
The only way Bellville could miss the playoffs last year was to lose to Caldwell by more than 18 - and I doubt you could find three people with functioning brains who would have expected that to happen - including UIL.

If they didn't already have it locked up, it was mighty presumptuous of them to run the scoreboard message that read. "Bi-District: Bellville vs. West Columbia at 7:30 pm Friday, November 19, at Rhodes Stadium in Katy", don't you think?

Must have put the playoff message up near the end of the game.
Caldwell was up by 25 with less than 6 minutes to play.

CautionOrange
06-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
Must have put the playoff message up near the end of the game.
Caldwell was up by 25 with less than 6 minutes to play.

Oh no, my friend, the message was up BEFORE kickoff and while thunder and lightning was stalling the game for over an hour.

It was funny, though. By halftime (when Caldwell led 15-3) and leading in all statistical categories), the message vanished until Bellville made the miraculous comeback and led with 40 seconds left - its only lead (the one that counted) since a first-quarter field goal (3-0).

That game was so gut-wrenching to watch that applicants for available Caldwell coaching positions this year were shown the game. "Whoever gets hired is prohibited from letting this happen." LOL

Old Tiger
06-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Well, Caldwell beat Rockdale 27-0 on the road so he must have done something right. Yea I've been graduated

buff4life
06-18-2007, 03:49 AM
... and you DON'T talk crap about other schools, including Caldwell? I beg to differ. And for the record, you might want to review the all-time record books, including those from the past decade. Caldwell has beaten Giddings more and posted back-to-back upset shutouts 7-0 and 25-0 on YOUR turf as well as a 14-3 home win that Caldwell was expected to lose by 10 points.
Giddings has had plenty to boast about in recent years (and believe me - they do every chance they get), but I think it's pretty fair to say that each school takes turns handing the other its butts on a plate.

Isn't Fitzhenry going to turn 19 during the season? Could swear a teammate said that last year. Just curious.

BTW, it's "barely on the BOARD," not bored.

sorry i was bored reading your bs....and how would you know what i say about other schools? your like the newest member on here rook...but hey make your own thing up seems like you like to...AND i said sports all around...not just football so before you go off the hook and try to punk me read it right...

CautionOrange
06-18-2007, 07:30 AM
sorry i was bored reading your bs....and how would you know what i say about other schools? your like the newest member on here rook...but hey make your own thing up seems like you like to...AND i said sports all around...not just football so before you go off the hook and try to punk me read it right...

Opinions about arrogance travel quickly. For anyone to keep track of who beats who how often is pretty obsessive. Worry more about what you'll do when Fitzzenry Sr. abandons Giddings, and Fitz Jr. no longer plays there.

LH Panther Mom
06-18-2007, 07:56 AM

I would drop this argument if I were you, at least until you've actually researched what the UIL age requirements for eligibility are.

CautionOrange
06-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I would drop this argument if I were you, at least until you've actually researched what the UIL age requirements for eligibility are.

OK, what are they? It was my understanding that if an athlete turns 19 in the course of a season, he can't play.

Old Tiger
06-18-2007, 08:03 AM
your like the newest member on here rook...but hey make your own thing up seems like you like to... or so it seems

CautionOrange
06-18-2007, 08:08 AM
or so it seems

... and everyone knows that Giddings has always played fair and square vs. Rockdale.

Old Tiger
06-18-2007, 08:12 AM
... and everyone knows that Giddings has always played fair and square vs. Rockdale. always

Giddings is a class act except against Liberty Hill but that was a fun thing to watch :D

CautionOrange
06-18-2007, 08:24 AM
always

Giddings is a class act except against Liberty Hill but that was a fun thing to watch :D

Just going from what was written on two other web sites. But of course I'm sure Rockdale folks are completely unbiased toward Caldwell posters on here.

Ranger Mom
06-18-2007, 08:40 AM
your like the newest member on here rook...

LOL!! Ya think???;)

LH Panther Mom
06-18-2007, 08:45 AM
OK, what are they? It was my understanding that if an athlete turns 19 in the course of a season, he can't play.
You understand wrong. I knew what they were, which is why I said YOU should look them up before continuing it.

Eligibility for Athletic Contests
meet all the requirements above,

are less than 19 years old on September 1 preceding the contest or have been granted eligibility based on a disability that delayed their education by at least one year,

link (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/policy/eligibility.html)

CautionOrange
06-18-2007, 09:06 AM
You understand wrong. I knew what they were, which is why I said YOU should look them up before continuing it.

are less than 19 years old on September 1 preceding the contest or have been granted eligibility based on a disability that delayed their education by at least one year,

link (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/policy/eligibility.html)

Dont' get hostile about it. But it still doesn't answer my question, which I've asked at least four times. Is he 19 yet?

Ranger Mom
06-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Dont' get hostile about it. But it still doesn't answer my question, which I've asked at least four times. Is he 19 yet?

How is that hostile?? You asked a question and she answered.

Maybe some from Giddings can answer your question about when he actually turns 19.

buff4ever
06-20-2007, 10:28 AM
I personally believe it is some time in October??

CHS_CG
06-20-2007, 10:40 AM
always

And maybe now Giddings knows that throwing cheap shots and starting fights on the field wont win a game.

buff4ever
06-20-2007, 10:40 AM
giddings will be fine by the way when fitz sr & jr are out of town. We were fine before (two semi births in immediate years before fitzes) we will be fine after.

charlesrixey
06-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
giddings will be fine by the way when fitz sr & jr are out of town. We were fine before (two semi births in immediate years before fitzes) we will be fine after.

when did they go to giddings?

buff4ever
06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
this will be their 5th year here in town. In the 4 or 5 years before that we had 2 very well played games that both fell less than a touchdown short of a state championship birth.

Hopefully this years kids can finish that climb, town will be excited and have a lot of fun if they can take us there.

Darren
06-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Looks like alot of tension still exist between these 2 teams/towns.

For some reason Caldwell players/posters always seem to point their fingers at Giddings claiming that we are everything under the sun.

Caldwell has had good teams in the past. They will have good teams in the future. But (in General) for the last 10 years Giddings has had Caldwell's number.

I think the only reason that there is so much hatred for Giddings is that we have consistently dispatched Caldwell.

Your good fortune will return but I find it very unlikely that Caldwell will finish any higher than 3rd in District this next season.

Darren
06-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Can't we all just get along. It appears that 2 of the members in this conversation have already been banned.

coiled2strike
06-20-2007, 11:35 AM
and now, you are talking to yourself

coiled2strike
06-20-2007, 11:36 AM
CRAZY stuff, indeed

CHS_CG
06-20-2007, 12:33 PM
I have no problem with anybody from Giddings (dont know that many of yall to tell the truth) what I do have a problem with is when Giddings wants to talk about how somebody was unfair about this and that and how they are ALWAYS a class act team. I have seen Giddings play MANY times and I know for a fact they arent completely class act. Yes they are a well oiled team that knows how to get the job done but when you start fights during a game and take cheap shots at players I tend to lose respect for the players, the team and the town.

buff4ever
06-20-2007, 01:32 PM
okay

buff4ever
06-20-2007, 01:52 PM
darren, I would actually say that in the past 15 years we have taken the cake probably 2/3 of the time (just guessing by memory here though, I have been wrong before)

I think I have stated my history of caldwell and giddings being pretty good buds on and off the field, this new jealousy thing from caldwell is new apparently. Caldwell is always competitive and can compete on most with anyone almost any year, they just can't get over the hump to become a deep playoff threat or district champion.

It was 7 years ago granted, but giddings was awarded the most sportsmanlike team in 3a from the 98 season the year before when they lost to cuero in the semis. I do wish that our current program would show this a little better, but we are still good sportsman ALMOST across the board with our athletes.

I am left to assume that our friend here witnessed some heart breakers to giddings while she was in the color gaurd, maybe had a boyfriend playing, and they have some hard feelings from those games. I am sorry for that, lets get past that though and enjoy the present, it should be a good game this year, I expect caldwell to be a playoff contender out of our district with bellville. Navasota will be right there though too.

CHS_CG
06-20-2007, 01:55 PM
darren, I would actually say that in the past 15 years we have taken the cake probably 2/3 of the time (just guessing by memory here though, I have been wrong before)

I think I have stated my history of caldwell and giddings being pretty good buds on and off the field, this new jealousy thing from caldwell is new apparently. Caldwell is always competitive and can compete on most with anyone almost any year, they just can't get over the hump to become a deep playoff threat or district champion.

It was 7 years ago granted, but giddings was awarded the most sportsmanlike team in 3a from the 98 season the year before when they lost to cuero in the semis. I do wish that our current program would show this a little better, but we are still good sportsman ALMOST across the board with our athletes.

I am left to assume that our friend here witnessed some heart breakers to giddings while she was in the color gaurd, maybe had a boyfriend playing, and they have some hard feelings from those games. I am sorry for that, lets get past that though and enjoy the present, it should be a good game this year, I expect caldwell to be a playoff contender out of our district with bellville. Navasota will be right there though too.

Fair assesment but not all the games I saw Giddings play were from my days in Color Guard. I do travel to games ya know:nerd:

buff4ever
06-20-2007, 02:11 PM
I was just taking a guess, was I atleast right on the boyfriend part and losing some nail biters.

I am not sure what you have witnessed from giddings' athletes during competition, unless what went on in the LH game last year, which wasn't totally one sided by the way. I have heard several on the field witnesses from both sides of the ball talk to me about what was going on. The bottom line is that both teams were hungry for a state title, and tempers will flare at times in heated competition. Especially when you are doing frustrating things like turning the ball over and giving the game away with some of the ugliest play of the year. (don't get me wrong LH caused some of it and was a worthy victor, and I respect their program and players)

I have seen caldwell players play with poor sportsmanship for the last few years in every baseball game I have seen them play, but like I said before, DON'T JUDGE A TOWN BY ONE OR THREE OF ITS BAD EGGS. I haven't seen a town or program that doesn't have atleast one bad egg.

CHS_CG
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I was just taking a guess, was I atleast right on the boyfriend part and losing some nail biters.

I am not sure what you have witnessed from giddings' athletes during competition, unless what went on in the LH game last year, which wasn't totally one sided by the way. I have heard several on the field witnesses from both sides of the ball talk to me about what was going on. The bottom line is that both teams were hungry for a state title, and tempers will flare at times in heated competition. Especially when you are doing frustrating things like turning the ball over and giving the game away with some of the ugliest play of the year. (don't get me wrong LH caused some of it and was a worthy victor, and I respect their program and players)

I have seen caldwell players play with poor sportsmanship for the last few years in every baseball game I have seen them play, but like I said before, DON'T JUDGE A TOWN BY ONE OR THREE OF ITS BAD EGGS. I haven't seen a town or program that doesn't have atleast one bad egg.

nah you arent right about the boyfriend either lol. but yeah I have seen some stuff in the lil years i have