PDA

View Full Version : can the downlow family...

yourboss319
06-13-2007, 01:50 PM
*RANDOM*

help me settle an argument... see at work (whataburger) we have a grill.. and when the cooked blood and little pieces of meat build up sometimes.. i use water to like soften it so i can scrape it off... my manager said to not put water on the grill because in time... it will rust.......

the question is..

is it possible for the grill to rust if it is cleaned everyday and never turned off at 350 degrees?

Ranger Mom
06-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Here is my 2 cents worth!!

You need three things to occur to have rust:

1. The metal needs to be in contact with an electrolyte (something that conducts electricity - water or gases can be electrolytes). These carry electric currents.

2.The presence of corrosive agents.

3.The electrical connection where the metal becomes charged through the chemical reaction between the metal and contaminates (electrically connected and carried by the electrolyte). The loss of metal atoms in the reaction causes rust.

FYI: Pure distilled water does not function as an electrolyte and will not corrode metal. :nerd:

pooch
06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
i just got smarter reading this thread. :)

Ranger Mom
06-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by pooch
i just got smarter reading this thread. :)

I retained a lot from my kid's science projects!!:D

Phantom Stang
06-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Tell your manager, that Phantom Stang on the 3A Downlow said it won't hurt anything to use water on a grill that hot, and that from now on it's gonna be cleaned YOUR WAY!!!

:D

Ranger Mom
06-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Tell your manager, that Phantom Stang on the 3A Downlow said it won't hurt anything to use water on a grill that hot, and that from now on it's gonna be cleaned YOUR WAY!!!

Especially distilled water!! :D :D

Phil C
06-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Unless it is a health hazzard I would do it how your boss tells you to.

Ranger Mom
06-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

But.....the question was:

is it possible for the grill to rust if it is cleaned everyday and never turned off at 350 degrees?

The answer is:

No!!

SintonFan_inAustin
06-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Here is my 2 cents worth!!

You need three things to occur to have rust:

1. The metal needs to be in contact with an electrolyte (something that conducts electricity - water or gases can be electrolytes). These carry electric currents.

2.The presence of corrosive agents.

3.The electrical connection where the metal becomes charged through the chemical reaction between the metal and contaminates (electrically connected and carried by the electrolyte). The loss of metal atoms in the reaction causes rust.

FYI: Pure distilled water does not function as an electrolyte and will not corrode metal. :nerd:
:eek: impressive

Phantom Stang
06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Party pooper!! :mad:

j/k

Highschoolfan78
06-13-2007, 03:24 PM
stick it to the man! err woman...

yourboss319
06-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

haha that will be my argument for today.. ill tell her that phantom stang's confidence and ranger mom's geniusness (that was impressive by the way) proved her A** wrong

Fotbol
06-13-2007, 03:29 PM
ttt

AP Panther Fan
06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Manufacturer's have guidelines/suggestions for cleaning....outside of arguing in favor of those, like Phil said, I'd just say "sure" to whatever the boss expects.;)

Oh, and RangerMom....WOW!:eek: :D

CHS_Grad '85
06-13-2007, 03:41 PM
It may not rust but it does take away the taste of the meat... when I was a grill cook, the cook who taught me said to use the grease from the deep fry to loosen up the build up and then scrap the grill... I too thought that water would have been better but she explained that it takes away the flavoring of the meat...

Ranger Mom
06-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
It may not rust but it does take away the taste of the meat... when I was a grill cook, the cook who taught me said to use the grease from the deep fry to loosen up the build up and then scrap the grill... I too thought that water would have been better but she explained that it takes away the flavoring of the meat...

So old nasty skanky grease is what gives meat its flavor????:eek: :eek:

AP Panther Fan
06-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85

This makes alot of sense to me....FOR WHAT THAT IS WORTH..lol.:doh:

Kind of reminds me of seasoning iron skillets with oil....especially, after cleaning them with any kind of soapy water. You know how rusty those things can get.

yourboss319
06-13-2007, 03:59 PM
well im off to work.. we'll see how it goes.. i will never quit tho.. cause i know im right cause water shouldnt cause rust if it is taken care of... and it will not take away the flavor if you cook and season the meat right after it has been done

DU_stud04
06-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by yourboss319
*RANDOM*

help me settle an argument... see at work (whataburger) we have a grill.. and when the cooked blood and little pieces of meat build up sometimes.. i use water to like soften it so i can scrape it off... my manager said to not put water on the grill because in time... it will rust.......

the question is..

is it possible for the grill to rust if it is cleaned everyday and never turned off at 350 degrees? put some of the white grease they use for the fry pit. i used to work at whataburger as the cook and thats the best way to get it off.

DU_stud04
06-13-2007, 04:17 PM
*RANDOM*

the question is..

is it possible for the grill to rust if it is cleaned everyday and never turned off at 350 degrees? .........and arent you supposed to be scraping almost constantly? i dont remember buildups....i kept my grill fresh :D

DU_stud04
06-13-2007, 04:31 PM
well im off to work.. we'll see how it goes.. i will never quit tho.. cause i know im right cause water shouldnt cause rust if it is taken care of... and it will not take away the flavor if you cook and season the meat right after it has been done dont forget to score the meat :D

sectionCwannabe
06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
*RANDOM*

the question is..

Well your boss is an idiot. Cold water on a flat stainless steel grill while it is hot could warp the metal surface, i have never seen this but most makers of the grills warn against this. On the other hand Hot water added to a hot grill is perfectly safe.

The only way the water could cause rust is if you cooled the grill off and left standing water on the surface. since whataburger is open 24 hours a day then this should never happen.

DU_stud04 is right the hot fry oil is better than water for removing build up and will also keep your grill well oiled so food dont stick.

Hupernikomen
06-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Just to clear up a few things...I am not an expert but I do have a degree in Chemistry.

Rust is when Iron is oxidizes by Oxygen. Water is a good source of oxygen, not because it is h2o but because it contains oxygen..hence fish can live there. for several reasons iron will rust faster in water than just exposed to air. it will eventually rust just in open air because of all the moisture. Distilled water should have oxygen in it and will also cause rust...might have to try this with some plain steel wool to verify.

Also the 350 degree stove top would aid in the rusting process because of the heat. Hotter metals rust faster. Nearly all chemical reactions speed up with increase in temperature.

Also, Ranger Mom is right about the electrolytes. The more acidic a solution the faster the oxidation will take place.

Also, if the oven surface is stainless steel it shouldn't rust very easily anyways. Stainless is a lot more rust resistant than just iron and way more than raw steel.

EagleFan1997
06-13-2007, 06:48 PM
*RANDOM*

the question is..

First I worked Fast Food for 6 years. During those six years of working fast food I was told not to put water on the grill only a couple of time. But we did use water to clean the grill at a couple of places I worked and it never hurt it all

Cameron Crazy
06-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I didn't know Rm was so smart! :D

bjrod9
06-13-2007, 09:21 PM
*RANDOM*

the question is..

Just print this entire thread John and give it to your boss! :clap:

piratebg
06-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Wow. I am not a hamburger artist or a grill engineer, but having read all of this very insightful information, I feel I now possess the knowledge to be one of the great Iron Chefs of Whataburger.

LH Panther Mom
06-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
put some of the white grease they use for the fry pit. i used to work at whataburger as the cook and thats the best way to get it off.
That's what we did at DQ "back in the day".

piratebg
06-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
So old nasty skanky grease is what gives meat its flavor????:eek: :eek:

Just out of curiousity, but how does one acquire this "old nasty skanky grease"? Where does it come from, or do I even want to know?

DU_stud04
06-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Just out of curiousity, but how does one acquire this "old nasty skanky grease"? Where does it come from, or do I even want to know? idk bout people using old skany grease, but i would get me a bowl and go to the back and fill it up from a new grease canister, pour it in there and keep it under the grill on the stand, easy access, easy cleaning. no skankiy-ness. :thumbsup:

Matthew328
06-13-2007, 11:54 PM
I used to be a manager at Whataburger in HS and we used Bun Oil to clean the grill.....

and yes don't forget to score the meat

yourboss319
06-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
.........and arent you supposed to be scraping almost constantly? i dont remember buildups....i kept my grill fresh :D

haha holy crap.. trust me.. i always keep my grill clean or "fresh".. but there comes those times.. cause during baseball season.. i had to make 30 triple meats so i was constantly having up to 16 meats on one side of the grill while the other was kept completely clean for breakfast..

yourboss319
06-14-2007, 12:52 AM
and also.. im not talking about cleaning the grill.. yes.. i clean it with grease from the fryers.. if we dont have grill cleaner.. im talking about if there is build up in one little spot on the grill.. so i put some water to "soften" it and i scrape it off

CHS_CG
06-14-2007, 08:45 AM
I used to work at McDonalds and at night when we cleaned the grill we used these cleaning packs they had gave us and to make it extra clean and loosen the greese we used that HI-C orange. The acid somehow acts and cleans the grill.