PDA

View Full Version : NF!! Need help locating an engine...

IHStangFan
06-13-2007, 10:25 AM
We've decided my wife's 2002 Dodge Ram needs a heart transplant. Any of you gear heads out there know where I can track down a 4.7L V8 (Mopar: Jeep or Dodge) short block?

Thanks!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
The NAPA in College Station is a good place to get a shortblock for a motor. We bought a shortblock for a 351 Windsor and rebuilt the motor. They do great work up there, as they have a machine shop and all the necessary tools. You should call them up and check them out if you can't find anything else. What exactly is wrong with your motor?

SWMustang
06-13-2007, 01:04 PM
I recommend finding a comparable vehicle and borrowing it after dark. I'm pretty sure that's not illegal....:doh:

Fotbol
06-13-2007, 01:07 PM
JMJ Salvage in Bellmead(Waco) will have what you need, I think they're listed in the phone book.

IHStangFan
06-13-2007, 01:26 PM
thanks guys. BBDE, thats not too far away and I have fam. up there at CS....might not be a bad idea. What is wrong w/ it? Where do I start, LOL. In a nutshell its just worn the heck out. 120,000 very hard miles. Her ex had it, its a half ton, w/ the small V8 and he had a gooseneck in it and towed 10,000lbs worth of horse and trailer back and forth across country several times. Not to mention when I got it, he had run over something and crimped the exhaust completely shut. That engine is carboned up beyond repair. Runs on 6 or 7 sometimes, smokes, I know there is severe scoring on the cyl. walls, no compression, horrible gas mileage, etc. etc. it's time it's overhauled and rebuilt. Suprisingly the tranny has held up.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
thanks guys. BBDE, thats not too far away and I have fam. up there at CS....might not be a bad idea. What is wrong w/ it? Where do I start, LOL. In a nutshell its just worn the heck out. 120,000 very hard miles. Her ex had it, its a half ton, w/ the small V8 and he had a gooseneck in it and towed 10,000lbs worth of horse and trailer back and forth across country several times. Not to mention when I got it, he had run over something and crimped the exhaust completely shut. That engine is carboned up beyond repair. Runs on 6 or 7 sometimes, smokes, I know there is severe scoring on the cyl. walls, no compression, horrible gas mileage, etc. etc. it's time it's overhauled and rebuilt. Suprisingly the tranny has held up.

Well, if you do come up to CS, send me a PM and we can grab lunch and I can show you how to get to it. It's called Cook's NAPA, just in case you needed to look it up. Good luck.

IHStangFan
06-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Well, if you do come up to CS, send me a PM and we can grab lunch and I can show you how to get to it. It's called Cook's NAPA, just in case you needed to look it up. Good luck. sounds good amigo. Thanks again!