PDA

View Full Version : Arrrghh!

Pudlugger
06-13-2007, 08:52 AM
About two weeks ago when we had a big thunderstorm in La Grange lightening struck very near the house (we heard the thunder almost at the same time as the flash). Apparently it struck a huge oak tree on the road easement just over the fence from our property's NW corner. That old tree split off one of its two large trunks and fell into the road. By the time I found it the county had moved it to my side of the road in the bar ditch and over about 15 feet of barbed wire fencing. I spent the last two days limbing it and cutting it up into nice fireplace sized logs. I had about half of it cut and limbed yesterday morning but the heat got to me so I went home and took a nap. When I went out there at 4pm it was gone! All the cut logs and the main trunk and even the remaining limbs gone! About a half cord at least of fine firewood and all my work lost. Apparently the county decided to show up mid day and haul it off! :mad:

Ranger Mom
06-13-2007, 08:54 AM
What a BUMMER!!!!!

I bet one of them has a nice stack of logs outside their house now!!

Old Tiger
06-13-2007, 08:54 AM
that sucks

pirate4state
06-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
About two weeks ago when we had a big thunderstorm in La Grange lightening struck very near the house (we heard the thunder almost at the same time as the flash). Apparently it struck a huge oak tree on the road easement just over the fence from our property's NW corner. That old tree split off one of its two large trunks and fell into the road. By the time I found it the county had moved it to my side of the road in the bar ditch and over about 15 feet of barbed wire fencing. I spent the last two days limbing it and cutting it up into nice fireplace sized logs. I had about half of it cut and limbed yesterday morning but the heat got to me so I went home and took a nap. When I went out there at 4pm it was gone! All the cut logs and the main trunk and even the remaining limbs gone! About a half cord at least of fine firewood and all my work lost. Apparently the county decided to show up mid day and haul it off! :mad:

Bummer. Should've hauled it home after all that work you did. No way, I leave that stuff laying around. Then again, what kind of jerk just steals firewood off someone else's property? It was on YOUR property, right?

Pudlugger
06-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Yes, just that it was in the easement as property lines extend to the middle of the road. It was 92 degrees and I'm too old to work through that for more than a couple of hours so I took a break. I figured it would still be there after a little nap, but alas I was wrong.:(

luvhoops34
06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Dude that sucks big time. I would be highly pissed.:mad: If we're at home in the winter time, it's all the two of us can do to cut enough fire wood to help keep the house warm. It's a big chore getting it cut and hauled around to the front porch. If I caught somebody stealing my firewood, I would put the hurt on their ass for sure.

Phil C
06-13-2007, 09:52 AM
I worked for an accounting firm and we did an audit of the County and as I looked over their insurance policies I noticed they only had $250,000 insurance on the courthouse. Now that might have been adequate in 1940 but in the late 1980s that was very much low. I talked the the County Auditor and my boss and told them they needed to get with their insurance agent and update the values because if something happened they would be in bad shape. They did as I suggested and got the insurance updated.
Well the next spring they had a big hail storm that tore up the roof and did much damage inside. With the new insurance they had the roof fixed and replaced computers and other equipment that was damaged. In all it was slightly over $1M that they recovered.

Needless to say they were glad they followed my advice and to this day even though I am no longer with that firm they still do the audit for them.

District303aPastPlayer
06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger

I'd call the county and find out who has it...