PDA

View Full Version : THSBCA All-State baseball

txkmom
06-13-2007, 08:41 AM
THSBCA site (http://www.thsbca.com/index.php?action=allstate)

Old Tiger
06-13-2007, 08:41 AM
hi there:)

Adidas410s
06-13-2007, 08:49 AM
what moron picked that font color for 3A? You can't even read it!!! :mad:

Adidas410s
06-13-2007, 08:50 AM
2007 3A ALL STATE TEAM

PITCHERS
FIRST TEAM- Jeff Stringer- Bridge City, David Rollins - Carthage, Zach Fowler- Texarkana Liberty Eylau, Josh Rodriguez- Sinton SECOND TEAM- Chase Adams - Mineola, Jason Garcia- Falfurrias, Jacob Bidelman- Celina, Joseph Alaniz- Sinton THIRD TEAM- Kade Thompson- Burkburnett, Brandon Workman - Bowie, Lance Day - Snyder, Covey Morrow - Yoakum
CATCHERS
FIRST TEAM- Hunter Fugate - Pollok Central, Josh Weber - Devine SECOND TEAM- Charley Waldrep - Celina, Casey Jackson - Bridge City
1ST BASE
FIRST TEAM- Wade Mathis- Wharton, Brian Wuest - Prosper SECOND TEAM- Tyler Tynes- Waco Connally, Andres Alaniz - Sinton THIRD TEAM- Pat Dawkins - Argyle, Michael Martinez- Seminole
2ND BASE
FIRST TEAM- Charlie Finch- Lubbock Cooper, John Kaspar - Taylor SECOND TEAM- Ruben Cisneros- Falfurrias, Andy Garcia- Iowa Park THIRD TEAM- Robert Dunlap - Sinton
SHORTSTOP
FIRST TEAM- William Middlebrooks - Texarkana Liberty Eylau, Logan Bawcom - Midland Greenwood, Khris Tate - Carthage, Brent Bollinger - Snyder SECOND TEAM- Kodey Dixon - Brownfield, Wesley Starkes - Athens, Mario Ramirez - Falfurrias THIRD TEAM- Zach Harrison- Van, J.J. Harp- Argyle, Ricky Beaty- Wimberley
3RD BASE
FIRST TEAM- Troy McCartney- Celina, Brant Radcliff- Athens SECOND TEAM- Smiley Alegria - Falfurrias THIRD TEAM- Jarod Scott - Hillsboro
OUTFIELD
FIRST TEAM- Rocky Calhoun - Silsbee, Jonathan Baker - Carthage, Auston Anders - Prosper, Josh Wilson- Canton, Austin Taylor - Lubbock Cooper SECOND TEAM- Lance Moore - Waco Connally, Nathan Neiser - La Grange, Kyle Noack - Cuero, Johnny Dishon - Bridge City THIRD TEAM- Alex Carrow - Sanger, Garrett Smith- Carthage, Joel Ansley - Wharton, Brice Stanford - Van

Adidas410s
06-13-2007, 08:56 AM
two thoughts...

1. Is this team based on coaches nominations??? How could a team be #2 in the state all season, win over 30 games, make the state tournament, and NOT have any players named even 3rd team all-state? :thinking:

2. How does Middlebrooks make the team at SS when his primary position is as a pitcher? Wasn't that was the Red Sox just drafted him in the 5th round to play?

pirate4state
06-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
two thoughts...

1. Is this team based on coaches nominations??? How could a team be #2 in the state all season, win over 30 games, make the state tournament, and NOT have any players named even 3rd team all-state? :thinking:

2. How does Middlebrooks make the team at SS when his primary position is as a pitcher? Wasn't that was the Red Sox just drafted him in the 5th round to play?

1. I believe so. If the first part of your question is true that would answer the 2nd part.

2. I was surprised to see that too.

j_dog
06-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
two thoughts...

Q1. True, but how can a team win state and have no one named to the team? Could it be because as a TEAM they were better than the other teams' individual parts? I assume the same may be true of Wylie.

Q2. Just because Middlebrooks is an excellent pitcher does not mean he is not also an excellent SS. I had heard he actually was also being projected as a third baseman. LE folks can better answer that. For sure, he looked scary enough to me out at short. I think part of the answer may be that the voters wanted to spread the honors around and they may have felt there were a greater number of deserving pitchers than shortstops. Just to be on the list anywhere is indeed an honor.

44INAROW
06-13-2007, 09:52 AM
I had to do a double-take - there is a Cuero player on a baseball Allstate list........ Congrats We're Back :clap:

Fal44
06-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Smiley Alegria hardly played 3rd base and still got 3rd team all state..

Pudlugger
06-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Congratulations to Nathan Neiser of La Grange 2nd team outfield. Way to go Nathan.

18handicap
06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
To answer the question of why a player from a top team isn't listed there could be several reasons -- we run into this in our TGCA selections too:

1. Coach isn't a member of the organization that publishes the all-state teams. The THSCA and TGCA also require their coaches to be members before nominating.

2. Coach either didn't nominate or forgot to nominate. I see that happening a lot.

3. Politics on the committee. Sad to say, but it's true.

4. Committee members not showing up to the selection meeting meaning that players from that area weren't getting any support. Saw that happen a lot.

5. Other reasons....

txkmom
06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Will may have made it as SS b/c Zach made it as pitcher (very deserving IMO - although there are others deserving also...
Major league teams make a lot of decisions based on "projection." They have projected Will to play 3B, maybe immediately if he signs, because they foresee him becoming bigger/heavier and stronger, therefore losing some range/mobility. It's based on his frame and projected strength/power. When not pitching, he has played SS throughout the years he's played baseball.

chaingang
06-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Is it me, or does the state champs Jasper have 0 on this list?

pirate4state
06-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by chaingang
Is it me, or does the state champs Jasper have 0 on this list? Both Jasper & Abilene Wylie have 0 on the list. See a few posts up 18handicap explains why.

Adidas410s
06-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
Will may have made it as SS b/c Zach made it as pitcher (very deserving IMO - although there are others deserving also...
Major league teams make a lot of decisions based on "projection." They have projected Will to play 3B, maybe immediately if he signs, because they foresee him becoming bigger/heavier and stronger, therefore losing some range/mobility. It's based on his frame and projected strength/power. When not pitching, he has played SS throughout the years he's played baseball.

It's the Red Sox...he HAS to sign!!!! :D:D:D

Yes...this is one of the few times where I will play a homer! ;)

SintonFan_inAustin
06-13-2007, 03:19 PM
it took a great pitcher to slow down the Pirates bats and hes not even an All stater at that postion:doh:

txkmom
06-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by chaingang
Is it me, or does the state champs Jasper have 0 on this list?

If it was up to me, Jasper would have quite a few selected as "1st team HITTER", if there was such a thing. Hadn't seen anything like their bats all year.

Snyder_TigerFan
06-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Congrats to the two Snyder players that made the list. They'll be around next year too!:)

tigerpride_08
06-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Congrats to Wade Mathis and Joel Ansley..:clap:

SideBurnWillie
06-14-2007, 12:46 AM
I had to laugh at this list. Jasper kicked the crap out of two teams at the state tourny and 0 on the list. :doh: I'm sure there are some that deserve it, BUT there are some that don't.:kiss: :kiss:

j_dog
06-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
If it was up to me, Jasper would have quite a few selected as "1st team HITTER", if there was such a thing. Hadn't seen anything like their bats all year.
I can easily forgive the voters for missing some Jasper players because Jasper came in under the radar this year.

But next year, assuming they have the same type seasons, it should be hard to overlook lead-off batter Taylor Hart, and second batter Malcolm Bronson. They hit, they get on base, and then they run like crazy (if you did not notice ;) )

And as for Hart in CF, did I mention that he is fast? :) I noticed in the LE game that by the time fly balls settled into the left fielders glove, Hart was usually standing beside him. He flat out covers the ground. And Bronson, he is possibly faster than Hart. And they both can hit.

So yes, next year I hope to see some Jasper Dogs on the all-state lists. :)

j_dog
06-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Speaking of Jasper, here's a footnote.

All-State PITCHERS
FIRST TEAM- Jeff Stringer- Bridge City, David Rollins - Carthage, Zach Fowler- Texarkana Liberty Eylau, Josh Rodriguez- Sinton

Of the four pitchers on the first team, Jasper defeated two of them in head to head competition, and in the other two cases, defeated the team that had knocked them out in their previous series or game.

This is by no means to knock the individual pitchers, or their selections. They are no doubt good pitchers. My point is that the hitting that Jasper did was against top level pitching.

Actually, I think one key to Jasper's success in the playoffs and at state was due to facing this caliber of pitching several times in district. Of course the other key is Jasper's overwhelming speed up and down the batting order. When you see the catcher and the first baseman stealing bases, you have to suspect the line-up is something special in terms of speed and quickness.

Some folks had asked what happened to Jasper's track team. Now you know the rest of the story; they moved to the baseball team. ;)