PDA

View Full Version : the hook shot

maestro
06-12-2007, 08:58 PM
IS BACK BABY!!!

is it that difficult to teach??

many American players do not attempt this shot.

DU_stud04
06-12-2007, 09:04 PM
dikembe mutombo has kept it alive over the years. he is one cool cat

Snydertigersrul
06-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
dikembe mutombo has kept it alive over the years. he is one cool cat :o

JR2004
06-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Depends on which hook shot...

The jump hook isn't hard to teach how to get it off, but how to get in a position to where you can consistently get off a jump hook is pretty difficult. Shaq has had the best jump hook of the last 15 years or so. It's a very difficult shot to block because of the release point of the shot.

The true sky hook is darn near impossible to teach because only a select few players will ever be able to pull it off. Kareem had amazing balance and darn near perfected the shot. I remember watching him used to be able to get the shot off from 17-18 feet sometimes. He just had an incredible hand-eye coordination and footwork that so few people in sports will ever have. It was just amazing to watch. Kareem's sky hook was the most beautiful and graceful shot that anyone has ever used.

The time that will always stick out in my memory is watching the replays of the final game of the 85 Finals where Jabbar just about ripped out Boston's heart on their home court with one unstoppable sky hook after another down the stretch of that game (First time anyone ever beat the C's to win a title at the Garden). I'm really rooting for Andrew Bynum to be able to bring the sky hook back if he continues on as a Laker under Kareem's tutelage. It would give him a move that quite literally would be completely unstoppable.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I like throwing up 18 foot hook shots, ask neck_06. :D

Matthew328
06-12-2007, 10:33 PM
I used to have a pretty mean jump hook (for a 6'2 shooting guard who liked to post up small guards)

But the sky hook? Man that takes years of patience and practice to perfect