PDA

View Full Version : Underrated teams? Can anyone say Zapata?

davidalex
10-10-2001, 06:44 PM
I just want to say that Zapata is the most underrated team in region IV. They were in a 5A district(29-5A)with the Laredo schools and Eagle Pass two years ago and now they are a power in 3A. They still faced 3 of the 5A teams that they used to face in their old district. Now they won those games. Scared? They used to overpowered in 5A but now they are a power in 3A. They had a hard pre-district and now a cakewalk in 31-5A. Only Fal might make a game intresting. I don't think any other teams in region IV could have beaten three 5A schools in a row.

eye of the tiger
10-10-2001, 07:18 PM
I dont want to take anything at all away from Zapata. They are 5-0 and that is impressive. I, however, dont think district 30-5a (the laredos) is a very strong district. It is rated the weakest 5A district in Texas by 5A Texas Football.com.(A group of very knowledgeable 5A football people. I would just imagine that many of the 4A schools being beaten by other 3A schools could win district 30-5A. Once again please dont take this as a knock on Zapata. They are playing bigger schools and doing great and I think they will do well in the play-offs.

Da Mules
10-10-2001, 08:00 PM
I'm not knocking Zapata either, but I will mention that if they get out of Area, it will be the first Valley team in about forever to break out past the Nueces County line.

stevie_perez
10-10-2001, 10:31 PM
I agree with davidalex zapata is underrated and in district play it's going to be a piece of cake.

footballer2
10-14-2001, 11:05 PM
david_alex- you are making some mighty big assumptions, saying that Zapata is the only 3-a team in south texas area to beat 3 5-a schools. keep in mind what 3 5-a schools you are talking about. i'm not trying to put down these 5-a schools, but i think there are several 3-a teams that could have beaten them also (for beginners try Sinton on for size).don't start talking big 'til Zapata gets out of their fairly weak 6 team district. i agree that they should make the playoffs fairly easy in this district, and i agree that Falfurrias will probably be the only team to challenge or possibly beat them.i certainly wouldn't talk too much beyond that.Let them beat a Sinton caliber team, then your big talk will be a little more credible. right now from what i hear Zapata is a good football team. how good will be determined once they get beyond there district play. i also want to inform Da Mules that the last time a valley team broke out past the nueces co. line was not in about forever. i think the last time was in 1998 when a pretty good Raymondville team defeated the Sinton Pirates -36 to 34.i saw this game, it was played here in our Corpus Christi area. Raymondville advanced into the 1/4 finals and was defeated by Cuero.

SintonFan
10-15-2001, 12:41 AM
I agree, Raymondville beat Sinton by that score. I was living in Sinton at the time and saw that game(at Buccaneer stadium). A bad call in the end zone with Sinton driving for the win won that game for Raymondville. I think they went up like 28-0 or 21-0 and we had to battle back. What a classic! But Zapata is still underated, except by a few here. Any team that Is 6-0 should deserve respect, even if their comp. was weak. They get my respect and congrats! Go Zapata(unless you play Sinton)!
GO PIRATES!!!!

footballer2
10-15-2001, 11:12 AM
Sintonfan- Zapata certainly has my respect-but some people are already saying they will be the region 4 div. 1 finalist. i believe it is a little pre-mature to be saying that. i think its more a case of wishful thinking. hey, what do you know about the 3-a district down in the valley. what teams appear to be the front runners?

Specklebelly
10-15-2001, 04:59 PM
Everyone on that Zapata bandwagon better check their history. No team south of Corpus has won Region 4 in the last 20 years except Port Isabel in 1994 and 1981. Both of those times they consequently got smoked in the semifinals. I dont care what classification the schools are that Zapata has beaten, they still have only beaten valley teams and valley teams cant ever really compete with the big boys. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but its the truth, history doesnt lie. They may win a couple of playoff games but then they will run into a Sinton, Cuero, Gonzalez, or Bellville and get sent home.

davidalex
10-15-2001, 11:52 PM
Only time will tell if Zapata can live up to it's and some peoples expections. Also no matter what,it is an amazing feat to beat three teams in a row that are 2 to 2.5 times bigger in population then yourself.

rsjmann
10-17-2001, 09:52 AM
One word: Lamesa

They have tried several different things during pre-district in one of the toughest schedules in the state. They lost to Wolfforth Frenship (4A) and Sweetwater. Sweetwater is very good but Lamesa lost 6 fumbles. That is Lamesa's only weakness is hanging onto the ball. Lamesa will be there in the end and would like another shot at Wylie.

Gunn08
10-17-2001, 07:22 PM
I would just like to ask who gives a crap about zapata? I sure dont and I'm pretty 95% of the people that post on this site couldnt care less about them. So it would be appreciated if you would quit trying to bring them up when no one replies to your topic. If they were half as good as you think they are people would at least talk about them.

stickman
10-17-2001, 07:36 PM
Hey Gunn08

Your Mama!

kmott
10-17-2001, 08:11 PM
Hey Gunn08, In case you did not notice, the initial post is about Zapata! Almost every reply on this post is about Zapata! There seems to be ample response here for the folks who would like to discuss Zapata! Try that CRAP on another post. Good luck Zapata.

davidalex
10-17-2001, 08:24 PM
Hey Gunn08,

think what you want some people did respond to this post

[This message has been edited by davidalex (edited October 17, 2001).]

stickman
10-17-2001, 09:39 PM
What is a Zapata? Sounds like something you get at Taco Bueno.

"I'll take two chicken Zapatas with no onions."

footballer2
10-18-2001, 11:07 AM
HEY FELLAS- LETS NOT START RIPPING EACH OTHER FOR EXPRESSING OUR OPINIONS. COMMENTS LIKE GUNN08 ARE TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR AND UNNECESSARY. ALTHOUGH I DISAGREE WITH ZAPATA BEING ONE OF THE TOP REGION IV TEAMS RIGHT NOW- I CERTAINLY DO WISH THEM THE BEST.

footballer2
11-17-2001, 06:13 PM
its time to roll out the round ball in zapata,tx- there are lessons to be learned about humility. football games are not won on paper or on the internet,they are won in the trenches on friday nights-nuff said!