PDA

View Full Version : Earnhardt Jr. to unveil plans at Wednesday press conference

Maroon87
06-12-2007, 01:14 PM
By JENNA FRYER
AP Auto Racing Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. has decided where he will drive next season, and all signs point to Hendrick Motorsports.

NASCAR's most popular driver called a Wednesday news conference at his race shop, JR Motorsports, and spokesman Mike Davis said it was to announce his plans for 2008 and beyond.

It's the same site where Junior announced May 10 he would leave DEI and enter the free-agent market.

That move ignited a whirlwind of recruiting rarely scene in NASCAR, and there's been nonstop talk regarding where Earnhardt would end up. He's made shop visits and met with various car owners while he trying to make a decision.

His sister, Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, is handling his negotiations and has maintained their first choice was to keep Earnhardt in a Chevrolet. She has said the majority of her conversations have been with NASCAR's top Chevy teams.

Hendrick is the best in NASCAR right now, with 10 wins through the first 15 points races this season.

Speculation grew Monday night that Earnhardt was close to a deal with Hendrick, but officials declined comment Tuesday. Elledge did not respond to messages from The Associated Press.

Rick Hendrick currently has four drivers under contract, and told the AP last month "there was no room at the inn" for Earnhardt. NASCAR rules permit a car owner to field four Nextel Cup teams.

But multiple sources - speaking to the AP on condition of anonymity because Earnhardt's plans have not been announced - said Hendrick officials have been working for nearly three weeks to figure out how to bring the star driver into the fold. One scenario could put Earnhardt into the No. 5 car that Kyle Busch currently drives.

Busch is under contract through 2008, and Hendrick has said he wanted to sign the 22-year-old driver to an extension. But there are rumblings Busch has asked to be released from his contract.

Asked if that was true, Hendrick spokesman Jesse Essex said, "We don't comment on contractual issues."

Busch was testing in Milwaukee on Tuesday and not available to comment.

It's still possible Earnhardt could end up at Richard Childress Racing, where his father won six of his seven championships, or Joe Gibbs Racing. But Childress is out of the country, and the assistant to Gibbs president J.D. Gibbs said Gibbs is away all week.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Purchase this AP story for reprint.

carter08
06-12-2007, 01:34 PM
I still think he's heading to Gibbs. Will drive the 18. Yeley will move to a new Gibbs team or leave Gibbs for somewhere else.

CHS_CG
06-12-2007, 01:54 PM
OK seriously I hate Jeff Gordan and I know Jr would be team mates with him but if Jr Drove the 5 car that would be awesome bc I used to love Terry Labonte and he drove it b4 that stupid Busch boy got into it. It sure wont be the same though.. Jr not in a #8 Bud car... it will take some gettin use to.

kaorder1999
06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
wow Jr and Gordon are going to be teammates!

Maroon87
06-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
wow Jr and Gordon are going to be teammates!

No kidding...talk about an "unholy alliance.":eek: If you've ever been to a Nextel Cup race you kow that those are two groups of fans that DO NOT get along AT ALL.

carter08
06-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm very happy Jr. is leaving DEI. If you've noticed, Truex has been running much better since Dale Jr.'s announcement. He is already 12th in points, which would put him in the Chase at the moment, and now he has the full backing of DEI. A Top 5 points finish is not out of the question for Truex.

Adidas410s
06-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I'm very happy Jr. is leaving DEI. If you've noticed, Truex has been running much better since Dale Jr.'s announcement. He is already 12th in points, which would put him in the Chase at the moment, and now he has the full backing of DEI. A Top 5 points finish is not out of the question for Truex.

I thought only Top 10 got into The Chase...did this change?

Bull Butter
06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Dale's fans will go ballistic if he goes to Hendrick. However, if he wants to win...........

That being said, I still think he ends up with Gibbs

CHS_CG
06-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I would still love to see a red#3 with bud logos

Adidas410s
06-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Wednesday will announce his intent to move to Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet in 2008, multiple sources with intimate knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com Tuesday on condition of anonymity.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. likely won't be Driver 8 anymore, but will he still pilot the Budweiser Chevrolet?

Hendrick Motorsports declined comment, and e-mails and calls sent to Earnhardt's representation were not returned. A news conference was scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday to officially announce the deal.

Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, who has handled contract negotiations for her brother, declined to comment on the report.

There was some speculation that the wheels are already in motion to plant Earnhardt in the No. 5 now driven by Kyle Busch before season's end, but Dale Earnhardt Inc. president Max Siegel, contacted by phone Tuesday, discounted that scenario, saying Earnhardt would remain in the No. 8 through season's end.

Sources said there are indications that Busch may not finish the year in the No. 5. Busch is under contract with HMS through the end of next season, and Hendrick had been working to sign the 22-year old driver to an extension.

Jeff Dickerson, an attorney for Busch, told ESPN.com that "a lot of things may or may not occur. Out of respect for Hendrick Motorsports, we're not really sure what's going on yet. But we're trying. I don't think anything's changed yet. I cannot tell you that Kyle is out of the No. 5 for 2008."

When Dale Earnhardt Jr.climbed into Kyle Busch's ride during the Samsung 500 at Texas Motor Speedway, some thought it might be a hint of things to come.
Meanwhile, one potential scenario would be Casey Mears moving to the No. 5 and Earnhardt moving to the No. 25 currently being driven by Mears.

Earnhardt announced last month he was leaving Dale Earnhardt Inc. at season's end to compete for a more competitive organization.

"Although we haven't had conversations with Kyle Busch, the speculation is correct that he may become available," Siegel told ESPN.com's David Newton. "He's certainly somebody we'd be interested in talking with."

DEI has a short list of top Nextel drivers that it is considering to replace Earnhardt. It's also conceivable that Busch could move over to DEI and replace Earnhardt in the No. 8 car if Busch can get out of his contract at Hendrick, which runs through 2008.

Joe Gibbs Racing and Ginn Racing, both considered contenders to land Earnhardt, said Tuesday they are not part of the press conference. Richard Childress, whose team was also thought to have an opportunity to sign Earnhardt, is out of the country.

It is unknown whether sponsor Budweiser will follow Earnhardt to Hendrick.

Marty Smith and David Newton cover NASCAR for ESPN.com.

Adidas410s
06-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I would still love to see a red#3 with bud logos
can't happen...won't happen...

CHS_CG
06-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
can't happen...won't happen...

it could happen but your right it wont

Adidas410s
06-12-2007, 03:07 PM
it could happen but your right it wont
it can't happen unless he's racing for Childress...which he isn't.

Gp83
06-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I would still love to see a red#3 with bud logos Me also

football4life
06-12-2007, 03:25 PM
this is almost as exciting as watching cars zoom around a circle for 4 hours, while i drink beer and put on my tall pointy cap. git er done!

Bull Butter
06-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Yahoo Sports is reporting that it's a done deal. He's headed to Hendrick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=txearnhardt&prov=st&type=lgns

Earnhardt Jr. reportedly headed to Hendrick Motorsports

June 12, 2007
BRISTOL, CONNECTICUT (TICKER) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. apparently will join forces with NASCAR's most successful team.

Earnhardt is set to announce his intention to join Hendrick Motorsports in 2008, according to a report on ESPN.com on Tuesday.

NASCAR's most popular driver, Earnhardt has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday at 11 a.m. EDT, when he likely will officially announce his intentions for next season.

Citing multiple anonymous sources, the report stated that Earnhardt will drive the Hendrick Motorsports No. 5 Chevrolet, which is currently piloted by Kyle Busch.

The 22-year-old Busch is under contract with Hendrick through the end of the 2008 season. However, the talented but controversial Busch still has not reached a contract extension.

Jeff Dickerson, Busch's attorney, told ESPN.com that he is uncertain about the young driver's future and declined to comment on the report.

"Out of respect for Hendrick Motorsports, we're not really sure what's going on yet," Dickerson told the web site. "But we're trying. I don't think anything's changed yet. I cannot tell you that Kyle is out of the No. 5 for 2008."

Earnhardt's highly anticipated announcement Wednesday will come just 34 days after the racing icon cut ties with Dale Earnhardt Inc., the team founded by his late, great father and run by his stepmother, Teresa Earnhardt.

Now he evidently is headed to Hendrick Motorsports, which has completely dominated the Nextel Cup Series this season and already boasts a loaded team which features four-time series champion Jeff Gordon and reigning champion Jimmie Johnson.

carter08
06-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I thought only Top 10 got into The Chase...did this change?

Yep. It changed because Tony Stewart missed the chase last year.

Well, thats probably not the only reason, but yea, it is Top 12 now.

Expect the entire Top 35 to be included in the Chase by 2011

charlesrixey
06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
what's NASCAR?

lostaussie
06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
what's NASCAR? other than high school football...........my best friend:D

Bull Butter
06-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Wonder if Gordon will show up to the press conference to welcome him to the "Family". If so, just one more kick in the groin to Earnhardt fans:mad:

Old Tiger
06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
it could happen but your right it wont It shouldn't happen EVER!

JR is no where near the driver his dad was. If he was near as good then yes but by a far margin, NO WAY!

PS. Nascar sucks! *yawn*

Maroon87
06-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Earnhardt to join Hendrick Motorsports next season<

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

MOORESVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. said Wednesday he is joining Hendrick Motorsports, moving him one step closer toward the championship that has eluded him while driving for his late father's company.

The decision ends five weeks of recruiting for NASCAR's most popular driver, who became a free agent May 10 when he said he would leave DEI at the end of this season.

His criteria for a new team included finding a place he could win championships, and Hendrick is the perfect fit. Hendrick has won six championships, and has 10 wins through 14 points races this season.

``It became apparent to me the man I wanted to drive for,'' Earnhardt said. ``He competes with integrity and most importantly, he wins races.''

neo800
06-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Nascar is lame.I hate it.

carter08
06-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Wonder if Gordon will show up to the press conference to welcome him to the "Family". If so, just one more kick in the groin to Earnhardt fans:mad:

So...

Will they still throw stuff at Gordon?

CHS_CG
06-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by carter08
So...

Will they still throw stuff at Gordon?

hey now its not only Jr fans that throw stuff.. its anybody who does like him. Personally being the big jr fan I am, I can grop up enough to say hey ok ill give Gordon a chance to prove he can be mature but the first time he takes out jr... it will be on!

Bull Butter
06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I doubt he'll be trying to take out Jr. He'll have to answer to Rick Hendrick