PDA

View Full Version : Sandbagging in SE Texas

Old Cardinal
09-04-2002, 02:42 PM
I have looked closely at just what is going on in SE Texas- Barber's Hill, Jasper, and Bridge City are playing a host of players trying to get ready, even now, for Post Season! That is really good strategy, in that, they all three would have a hard time not ending up as the Division I rep. for their respective Districts. Depth building seems to be the name-of-the-game, if you aspire to be playing in late Nov. & Dec. I watched Matt Peebles, BC, carry only 16 times for a little over 14 yards per carry, in their opener. Now had he toted the ball 32 times he would have rushed for 450+ yards that night! College scouts, know a premier running back; without running up scores on folks. Instead, Michael "The Moose" Gauthier and Lance Fitts and others had a chance to tune up their Offensive skills...Look at Barber's Hill with Perry Carrington and his great speed, they too are attempting to not be a one-dimensional team. Jasper is so dominate that free substitution is now the norm, instead of the exception. I commend these Coaching staffs for throwing the ball even when they don't have to, to win, just to get more players as contributors. I also commend them for playing those Soph.'s and smaller statue Seniors that stuck-in-out through the years....Who knows, on up the Post season brackets, you may just have to rely on some of these same individuals to help win games when your Stars are stove-up, that week!.....TELL US ABOUT OTHER TEAMS THAT ARE SANDBAGGING RIGHT NOW?

eye of the tiger
09-04-2002, 03:30 PM
I agree Old Card. If you have the players and are in no danger of losing the game, it is by far the best way to go. Helps hold down injuries also.

Matthew328
09-05-2002, 11:20 AM
Most of the good teams "sand-bag" especially in non-district...they don't wanna tip their hand to any district coaches that could be around scouting....they also seem to play a lot more players and have a larger rotation..but once district starts that rotation gets shorter and coaches pull out their bag or tricks..

Old Cardinal
09-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Good point Matt, The interesting thing is that these 3 teams will, quite possibly, play even more players, during many district contest. Jasper, Newton, Bridge City have JV's talent capable of winning over a number of teams in their respective Districts, I would think.....Just a question, do you know if a JV can schedule, say, 2A or 1A schools (V),instead of playing the other Dist. team's JV's(via UIL rulings)?

eye of the tiger
09-05-2002, 02:09 PM
Dont know if they can still do it Old Card, but when I played for Dallas Samuell in the 60's, the jv played a game against Ferris in Ferris. So 40 years ago it could be done.

Matthew328
09-05-2002, 05:52 PM
I beleive you can...I know you can do it in other sports...I am sure you can do it in football also...Everman's JV is playing a private schools varsity next week

sinton66
09-05-2002, 06:06 PM
I think you still can, basically if you have an open spot on your schedule, you can play anybody that's willing. That's true for any of your teams. Doesn't just have to be a Texas team either. One Valley school played a school in MEXICO last week. Sorry, FROM Mexico.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited September 05, 2002).]