PDA

View Full Version : Football an Individual Sport?

Old Tiger
06-11-2007, 06:28 PM
If you think about it you have to do your job on the field and coaches not worry about anyone elses mistakes. So if 11 people are each doing their own job it accounts for fewer mistakes. All that has to happen then is they have to be insync, which comes in practice.

Just a random thought! Enjoy and discuss!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
If you think about it you have to do your job on the field and coaches not worry about anyone elses mistakes. So if 11 people are each doing their own job it accounts for fewer mistakes. All that has to happen then is they have to be insync, which comes in practice.

I disagree, doing your job is sometimes not enough. Showing compassion for your teammates and having their back when they screw up, a sort of brotherhood, to me is more important when you're out there. Having the feeling that if you screw up, someone else is going to pick up the slack makes things a lot easier because then all you have to worry about is going out and giving it 100% every play and doing your job the best that you can, but that's just my opinion. I can see where yours comes from though, although I've never really considered it until now....:thinking:

Old Tiger
06-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I disagree, doing your job is sometimes not enough. Showing compassion for your teammates and having their back when they screw up, a sort of brotherhood, to me is more important when you're out there. Having the feeling that if you screw up, someone else is going to pick up the slack makes things a lot easier because then all you have to worry about is going out and giving it 100% every play and doing your job the best that you can, but that's just my opinion. I can see where yours comes from though, although I've never really considered it until now....:thinking: But can you do your job at 100% if you are worrying about someone elses job?

Football is like track in that it is an individual sport except for certain things and when you come together at the end you all want to win the meet or game.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2007, 06:37 PM
But can you do your job at 100% if you are worrying about someone elses job?

Football is like track in that it is an individual sport except for certain things and when you come together at the end you all want to win the meet or game.

Yeah, you can, because you're not going to make every tackle and every ball isn't going to be thrown to you. You have an assignment, do it, and score or keep the other team from scoring. That's pretty much what it's all about.

Football is nowhere close to track...If you screw up, it's on you, there is nobody there to pick up the slack, but in football, if you screw up, there are 10 other people who can help pick you up and make the play when you aren't able to.

Old Tiger
06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Isn't there an old saying you have to be accountable for yourself in football?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Isn't there an old saying you have to be accountable for yourself in football?

I never said anywhere that you shouldn't be, don't put words into my statements that aren't there or try to twist them to fit your ideals, it's just not going to work. ;) :p

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2007, 07:08 PM
IMO certain positons are more team oriented..ex..Offensive line..Secondary..those rely on team work of double teams picking up blitzes and for secondary who has what man and things like that.

smustangs
06-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO certain positons are more team oriented..ex..Offensive line..Secondary..those rely on team work of double teams picking up blitzes and for secondary who has what man and things like that.

i agree i think offensive line it is the most team oriented position on the field

bobcat04
06-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Football is supposed to be a team sport but on many occasions its the work of one special athlete that makes a team a championship team. If you were to look back at many of the 3A state champions they probably had an incredible RB or QB. I know someone has to block and play defense but these elite individuals make many plays out of nothing were as an average player would not. On rare occasions, like Liberty Hill 2006, you will have a true team effort win a state title. Just my thoughts...

smustangs
06-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by bobcat04
Football is supposed to be a team sport but on many occasions its the work of one special athlete that makes a team a championship team. If you were to look back at many of the 3A state champions they probably had an incredible RB or QB. I know someone has to block and play defense but these elite individuals make many plays out of nothing were as an average player would not. On rare occasions, like Liberty Hill 2006, you will have a true team effort win a state title. Just my thoughts...

i understand what your saying but with no offensive line or receivers a rb or qb will not be anything

Old Tiger
06-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by bobcat04
Football is supposed to be a team sport but on many occasions its the work of one special athlete that makes a team a championship team. If you were to look back at many of the 3A state champions they probably had an incredible RB or QB. I know someone has to block and play defense but these elite individuals make many plays out of nothing were as an average player would not. On rare occasions, like Liberty Hill 2006, you will have a true team effort win a state title. Just my thoughts... Or a kicker...depends on how you look at it ;)