PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio

GreenMachine
06-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Did anyone hear the announcers "dis" the city of San Antonio last night? They said that Lebron was in his hotel the last few days studying his poor performance in game one and one of the announcers said, "What else is there to do in San Antonio?" That is poor to say about the great city of SA. I love SA, the Riverwalk, the Alamo, Seaworld, Fiesta Texas, etc. A definite slap in the face to the city. So what is so great about Cleveland? :thinking:

Old Tiger
06-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Did anyone hear the announcers "dis" the city of San Antonio last night? They said that Lebron was in his hotel the last few days studying his poor performance in game one and one of the announcers said, "What else is there to do in San Antonio?" That is poor to say about the great city of SA. I love SA, the Riverwalk, the Alamo, Seaworld, Fiesta Texas, etc. A definite slap in the face to the city. So what is so great about Cleveland? :thinking: You can go to the real mexican part of the town where they have all the little shops and buy cheap cheap stuff.

The Alamo is the biggest let down ever.

I guess you could go watch a movie on the iMax

GreenMachine
06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
You can go to the real mexican part of the town where they have all the little shops and buy cheap cheap stuff.

The Alamo is the biggest let down ever.

I guess you could go watch a movie on the iMax You are just a SA hater plain and simple, so I don't even value your opinion. The Alamo is Texas history, so if you don't like it, Cleveland would take you.

Ranger Mom
06-11-2007, 09:47 AM
You are just a SA hater plain and simple, so I don't even value your opinion. The Alamo is Texas history, so if you don't like it, Cleveland would take you.

I have never been to the Alamo or the Riverwalk....I would love to go when I could stay a few stays.

I went to Sea World and the S.A. Zoo about 15 years ago....other than that, I have only been there for a football game!!:D

District303aPastPlayer
06-11-2007, 09:48 AM
You are just a SA hater plain and simple, so I don't even value your opinion. The Alamo is Texas history, so if you don't like it, Cleveland would take you.

Calm down... SA is a 2nd tier metropolis... NYC, LA, Miami, SD, and Chicago are among your first... its not a diss to SA... Its just that you have to live there to know what to do, or you really just dont get it...

GreenMachine
06-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Calm down... SA is a 2nd tier metropolis... NYC, LA, Miami, SD, and Chicago are among your first... its not a diss to SA... Its just that you have to live there to know what to do, or you really just dont get it... You left Dallas off that list, so you are definitely going to make some posters mad :D

CenTexSports
06-11-2007, 09:55 AM
If you have never lost anything in SA why go there? There is only one major city in Texas, as far as I am concerned, worth spending any time in and that is Ft. Worth (including Arlington).

However, The Alamo is one of about five things that define Texas so it is worth seeing.

The five things that define Texas:

1) It's size.
2) The Alamo
3) The Texas Rangers (not the baseball team).
4) High School football.
5) Pride in being born in Texas. You are either Texan by birth or a Yankee. You can be a Texas landholder, elected official, Texas citizen or anything else associated with the state but if you weren't born here, I don't believe you can truly be called a Texan.

Old Tiger
The Alamo is the most boring waste of time if you actually go to it in San Antonio. You walk in and you're like yup it's the Alamo and walk out

District303aPastPlayer
You left Dallas off that list, so you are definitely going to make some posters mad :D

I know i did... Dallas is borderline.. its not one of those Can't Miss cities... ya know?

pirate4state
06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Calm down... SA is a 2nd tier metropolis... NYC, LA, Miami, SD, and Chicago are among your first... its not a diss to SA... Its just that you have to live there to know what to do, or you really just dont get it... San Diego??? I agree with NYC, LA, Miami & Chicago, but San Diego??? WTH?

District303aPastPlayer
06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
San Diego??? I agree with NYC, LA, Miami & Chicago, but San Diego??? WTH?

they have the Khalil Green show :p

Adidas410s
06-11-2007, 10:02 AM
You left Dallas off that list, so you are definitely going to make some posters mad :D
In the eyes of many...Dallas isn't a top echelon city. IMO, the top cities in terms of national appeal would look like this:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Las Vegas
4. Chicago

5. San Francisco (could move them up to the top tier)
6. Miami
7. San Diego
8. Washington D.C.
9. Atlanta

After this you have a big group of Houston, Dallas, Detroit, Seattle, Boston, Atlanta, Phoenix, the other "major cities" of Florida, Pittsburgh, and Philidelphia.

You want to mention San Antonio because of its size...but it has little to no national appeal beyond the San Antonio Spurs (whom nobody outside of SA cares about) and the Alamo (which nobody outside of Texas cares about). If going to amusement parks and a museum or two are the biggest draws for your city....then you shouldn't be mentioned anywhere near the aforementioned cities.

mustang04
06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Did anyone hear the announcers "dis" the city of San Antonio last night? They said that Lebron was in his hotel the last few days studying his poor performance in game one and one of the announcers said, "What else is there to do in San Antonio?" That is poor to say about the great city of SA. I love SA, the Riverwalk, the Alamo, Seaworld, Fiesta Texas, etc. A definite slap in the face to the city. So what is so great about Cleveland? :thinking:

i liked sea world when i went at age 4!!!!!:)

i got a Shamu magnet along with a "dolly the dolphin" magnet haha

pirate4state
06-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I know i did... Dallas is borderline.. its not one of those Can't Miss cities... ya know? How is Dallas borderline? If the criteria is "can't miss city" then SD doesn't need to be included in that other list. LOL.

As far as can't miss cities - it's all opinion anyway. I mean, I could say - Seattle is a can't miss city and someone else would say, all you have in Seattle are pot-smoking tree huggers, but there is so much more to Seattle then their love of coffee drinking and herb smoking.

mustang04
06-11-2007, 10:05 AM
How is Dallas borderline? If the criteria is "can't miss city" then SD doesn't need to be included in that other list. LOL.

As far as can't miss cities - it's all opinion anyway. I mean, I could say - Seattle is a can't miss city and someone else would say, all you have in Seattle are pot-smoking tree huggers, but there is so much more to Seattle then their love of coffee drinking and herb smoking.
i'm moving to Seattle!!!!!!!!

Cuz i LOOOVE coffee!!:D

Adidas410s
06-11-2007, 10:06 AM
How is Dallas borderline? If the criteria is "can't miss city" then SD doesn't need to be included in that other list. LOL.

you forgot about microsoft! :)

pirate4state
06-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
you forgot about microsoft! :) hahaha yeah, Seattle is one of my favorite cities to visit. I've been there like 6x :D:D:D

mustang04
06-11-2007, 10:13 AM
hahaha yeah, Seattle is one of my favorite cities to visit. I've been there like 6x :D:D:D

i wonder why.........

ever hear of the Rainbow Farm???

pirate4state
06-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
i wonder why.........

ever hear of the Rainbow Farm???

well, one of my best friends lives out there so i get a free place to stay

and ummmmmmmmmm no i haven't ;)

GreenMachine
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
i'm moving to Seattle!!!!!!!!

Cuz i LOOOVE coffee!!:D :clap: :clap: :clap: Don't let the door hit you on the way out :eek:

mustang04
06-11-2007, 10:37 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Don't let the door hit you on the way out :eek:

oh dont worry....i at least know i can always immigrate back to texas

GreenMachine
06-11-2007, 10:40 AM
oh dont worry....i at least know i can always immigrate back to texas :(

mustang04
06-11-2007, 10:44 AM
:( :D :D :D

CalallenWildcat
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
In the eyes of many...Dallas isn't a top echelon city. IMO, the top cities in terms of national appeal would look like this:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Las Vegas
4. Chicago

5. San Francisco (could move them up to the top tier)
6. Miami
7. San Diego
8. Washington D.C.
9. Atlanta

After this you have a big group of Houston, Dallas, Detroit, Seattle, Boston, Atlanta, Phoenix, the other "major cities" of Florida, Pittsburgh, and Philidelphia.

You want to mention San Antonio because of its size...but it has little to no national appeal beyond the San Antonio Spurs (whom nobody outside of SA cares about) and the Alamo (which nobody outside of Texas cares about). If going to amusement parks and a museum or two are the biggest draws for your city....then you shouldn't be mentioned anywhere near the aforementioned cities.

I disagree with Atlanta being higher than Dallas. Dallas has the 2nd most headquarters of Fortune 500 companies (behind only NYC).

Plus, when I reference Dallas in a conversation I think of the whole metroplex (Fort Worth included).

Now, it's not a great tourist city, but it's an awesome business city. I'll report back once I get up there on whether its a good city to live in or not.

And, what is there to do in Atlanta?

CalallenWildcat
06-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Just so you know, if I'm ranking cities for business purposes I rank them like this:
First Tier
1. NYC
2. Dallas
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
Second Tier
5. Philadelphia
6. Atlanta
7. Seattle
8. Boston

If I'm ranking them as "can't miss" cities for being a tourist and such, I rank:

"City Tier"
1. NYC
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. New Orleans
5. Washington, DC

"Surroundings Tier"
1. Honolulu
2. Miami
3. San Diego
4. Los Angeles/Orange County
5. Tampa Bay Area

Adidas410s
06-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
I disagree with Atlanta being higher than Dallas. Dallas has the 2nd most headquarters of Fortune 500 companies (behind only NYC).

Plus, when I reference Dallas in a conversation I think of the whole metroplex (Fort Worth included).

Now, it's not a great tourist city, but it's an awesome business city. I'll report back once I get up there on whether its a good city to live in or not.

The thing that pushed Atlanta onto my list was that it's more well known nationally and internationally. This is largely due to the 1996 Olympic Games going a long way towards boosting their image.

Dallas is definitely a big business town. Going to SMU, you will learn quickly that money is what makes EVERYTHING in this town go. Granted I'm talking about the areas north of I-30, but that is where most of "the action" takes place...or at least the kind the kind of action NOT involving the Dallas PD. :p One thing I've found living in Dallas is that the DFW term is all but a farce. The two cities have distinct identities and cultures that very greatly. Also, there isn't a lot of interaction between the two cities as the Arlington/Grand Prairie/HEB area serves as a 20 mile buffer between the two.

Adidas410s
06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Just so you know, if I'm ranking cities for business purposes I rank them like this:
First Tier
1. NYC
2. Dallas
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
Second Tier
5. Philadelphia
6. Atlanta
7. Seattle
8. Boston

If I'm ranking them as "can't miss" cities for being a tourist and such, I rank:

"City Tier"
1. NYC
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. New Orleans
5. Washington, DC

"Surroundings Tier"
1. Honolulu
2. Miami
3. San Diego
4. Los Angeles/Orange County
5. Tampa Bay Area

Two thoughts on your list...

1) Why no San Francisco on your business list? That city is VERY influential in the financial world...both domestically and with it's connections to the Pacific Rim.
2) For tourism...you have to have Vegas at the top (or at worst the top 2 or 3) of any list IMO. They take in more "tourist money" than any other city in the country.

CalallenWildcat
06-11-2007, 11:29 AM
The thing that pushed Atlanta onto my list was that it's more well known nationally and internationally. This is largely due to the 1996 Olympic Games going a long way towards boosting their image.

Dallas is definitely a big business town. Going to SMU, you will learn quickly that money is what makes EVERYTHING in this town go. Granted I'm talking about the areas north of I-30, but that is where most of "the action" takes place...or at least the kind the kind of action NOT involving the Dallas PD. :p One thing I've found living in Dallas is that the DFW term is all but a farce. The two cities have distinct identities and cultures that very greatly. Also, there isn't a lot of interaction between the two cities as the Arlington/Grand Prairie/HEB area serves as a 20 mile buffer between the two.

Atlanta is definetely more well-known due to the Olympics, but the only other thing I can see Atlanta having that Dallas doesn't is a pretty vibrant downtown (Dallas city leaders - FIX THIS!).

Fill me in on the differences in personalities between Dallas and FW. I guess it's all "big city" to me...

pirate4state
06-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Ft. Worth has always been the red-headed step child of the metro-mess. I never did care much for Ft. Worth even though several times it was my mailing address, which was bogus since I lived closer to Arlington on both occassions than Ft. Worth. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I look forward to your reports on living in Dallas. :thumbsup:

BullFrog Dad
06-11-2007, 11:37 AM
So what is so great about Cleveland? :thinking: Ukranian Museum-Archives
1202 Kenilworth Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44113-4417
United States
Website
Email

Airfare Compare Lowest Airfares

Description The Ukrainian Museum-Archives in Cleveland was created in 1952 and has been collecting and preserving Ukrainian artifacts ever since. The museum's collection covers a vast range of items including currency, stamps, books, documents, music, posters, artwork, textiles and other cultural treasures. Visitors will of course see the traditional Easter eggs, "pysanky".

Also of interest at the Ukrainian Museum-Archives is the Shevchenko Collection, a tribute to Ukraine's national poet, Taras Shevchenko.

Phil C
06-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I enjoyed my trips to El Paso. It is just across the border from Juarez, Mexico where you can have fun at the Solar de la Paloma and enjoy good food, music and maybe get to fight the brave bull.

http://www.indigenthealthcaresolutions.com/photo_album/2006-auditors-el_paso/originals/426.jpg

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Atlanta is definetely more well-known due to the Olympics, but the only other thing I can see Atlanta having that Dallas doesn't is a pretty vibrant downtown (Dallas city leaders - FIX THIS!).

Fill me in on the differences in personalities between Dallas and FW. I guess it's all "big city" to me...

For the longest time FW was little brother to Dallas and should have been "lucky" that they were included in the DFW area at all

BUT then FW got smart, cleaned up the downtown area to make it more attractive, built a better downtown entertainment area, and with a more workable city council has passed Dallas in a lot of ways while Dallas is mired in politics

Phil C
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
For the longest time FW was little brother to Dallas and should have been "lucky" that they were included in the DFW area at all

BUT then FW got smart, cleaned up the downtown area to make it more attractive, built a better downtown entertainment area, and with a more workable city council has passed Dallas in a lot of ways while Dallas is mired in politics

Hey Tx did you know that in the western movie Dallas with Gary Cooper that part of the time is spent in Fort Worth as well as Dallas?

big daddy russ
06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Ingleside, TX should be on this list. I don't see how anyone could leave off Ingleside. Great fishing, a navy base, and an HEB.

But seriously, I think Austin should be close to Houston and D/FW. They don't have the professional sports teams or the huge museums (at least not that I know of), but when you and your friends are thinking of a place to road trip do you think...

A.) "Let's go club hopping. We can start off in Rice Village then work our way slowly (very slowly) over to Richmond. Sure, the trip will take over five hours and a full tank of gas in my Yaris, but it'll be worth it when we get pulled over four hours into the trip and have already lost our buzz. No DWI for us tonight!"

B.) "Let's go to Deep Ellum. Or we could go to Lower Greenville. Your call. Deep Ellum's a hell of a time, but the last time we went there I left with a tattoo of your penis on my back and herpes. LG's cool if you can handle the cougars and 90% of the country's metrosexual population. Again, your call."

C.) "Let's go to Sixth Street. We don't even need to bring up any other part of town unless you're looking for a concert, and in that case there are at least 23,489 going on during any given night, 5,909 of which are artists that are signed with a major label. Where else can you catch a concert, hop around between some 50 or so bars within walking distance, watch a firewalker give us a show on the side of the road, watch a hobo give us a show on the side of the road, take home a girl with an Adam's apple, leave with a tattoo of your penis on my back, leave with herpes, and see metrosexuals, homosexuals, rednecks, and punks drink a beer together."

Back to the original topic, LeBron's a 22-year-old multi-millionaire. I don't think he needs a sugar mama up in LG, Deep Ellum isn't much of a basketball player-type of place, and Drink Houston is the only club in the world that's willing to charge you $10 a drink and offer the adventure of dodging real life bullets.

Personally, I think the night life in Austin trumps the night life anywhere else... and it's not even close.

pirate4state
06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Ingleside, TX should be on this list. I don't see how anyone could leave off Ingleside. Great fishing, a navy base, and an HEB.

But seriously, I think Austin should be close to Houston and D/FW. They don't have the professional sports teams or the huge museums (at least not that I know of), but when you and your friends are thinking of a place to road trip do you think...

A.) "Let's go club hopping. We can start off in Rice Village then work our way slowly (very slowly) over to Richmond. Sure, the trip will take over five hours and a full tank of gas in my Yaris, but it'll be worth it when we get pulled over four hours into the trip and have already lost our buzz. No DWI for us tonight!"

B.) "Let's go to Deep Ellum. Or we could go to Lower Greenville. Your call. Deep Ellum's a hell of a time, but the last time we went there I left with a tattoo of your penis on my back and herpes. LG's cool if you can handle the cougars and 90% of the country's metrosexual population. Again, your call."

C.) "Let's go to Sixth Street. We don't even need to bring up any other part of town unless you're looking for a concert, and in that case there are at least 23,489 going on during any given night, 5,909 of which are artists that are signed with a major label. Where else can you catch a concert, hop around between some 50 or so bars within walking distance, watch a firewalker give us a show on the side of the road, watch a hobo give us a show on the side of the road, take home a girl with an Adam's apple, leave with a tattoo of your penis on my back, leave with herpes, and see metrosexuals, homosexuals, rednecks, and punks drink a beer together."

Back to the original topic, LeBron's a 22-year-old multi-millionaire. I don't think he needs a sugar mama up in LG, Deep Ellum isn't much of a basketball player-type of place, and Drink Houston is the only club in the world that's willing to charge you $10 a drink and offer the adventure of dodging real life bullets.

Personally, I think the night life in Austin trumps the night life anywhere else... and it's not even close.

:eek: :eek: :eek: wow LOL

luvhoops34
06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Ahhhhh San Antone:thumbsup: Where I fell in love on the Riverwalk.

My favorite city in America! What does LeBron know? He's from C-l-e-v-e-l-a-n-d.....:doh:

San Antonio is a big city with a small town ambiance. It feels like "your" town to everybody that lives there.

Downtown has The famous Riverwalk, The Alamo, Market Square, LaVillita, Institute of Texan Cultures, The Alamodome, Sunset Station, The Tower of the Americas, and tons of restaurants and clubs.

There is Sea World and Six Flags, Mission Trails, golf courses, parks, and the zoo.

Maybe LeBron should have done a little research before he labeled SA "boring"....:eek: If you can't find something to do in downtown San Antonio, you're either dumb or you just don't want to get out of your hotel room...;)

Buccaneer
06-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Atlanta leads the nation in most strip clubs per capita!