PDA

View Full Version : 24 3a, How Will It Shake Out

rancher
06-11-2007, 06:50 AM
HOW IS 24 3A SHAPING UP THIS YEAR. I HEAR THAT SEALY IS EXPECTING BIG THINGS SINCE THE MESSIAH JIMMY MITCHELL ARRIVED. I KNOW AND HAVE SEEN THE COACHES AND STUDENTS ALREADY PRACTING AT THE HIGH SCHOOL. ANYONE CAN GO BY AROUND 8AM AND 6 PM AND SEE THIS. WILL SEALY WIN THE DISTRICT

bobcat04
06-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Besides Needville, this district will be down from last year. Sealy has as good a chance as anyone else.

maestro
06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
agreed....needville is head and shoulders above everyone else..

and sealy surely may end up near the top.

pirate4state
06-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by rancher
THE MESSIAH JIMMY MITCHELL wow - no pressure Mitchell!!

carter08
06-11-2007, 03:54 PM
On paper, Needville is the ebst team.

But blah blah blah. Football isn't paid on paper.

rancher
06-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I UNDERSTAND THAT NEEDVILLE GOT ONE HELL OF A DEFENSIVE COOR. FROM BELLVILLE. I HATED TO SEE COACH VALETINE LEAVE, BELLVILLE'S LOST IS NEEDVILLE'S GAIN. THEY WILL BE TOUGH ON DEFENSIVE THIS YEAR.

Centextrash
06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
From what I hear from my sources in the Gulf coast, Needville has some good kids coming back, and has some good young kids moving up to fill in spots. The Jays are WELL deserving of the state wide rankings, and may be a BIG factor in the playoffs! In fact, I hear the Jays might have the two best RB's in the district next year....(as long as they are not still on fire! ):D

After they Jays, it should be a race.

Sweeny has lost a lot, but they have some great coaches and might sneak in!
Sealy had some major shake ups in coaches, so the jury is still out.
Columbia has a TON of spots to fill, but they have great athletes and good coaches.
Wharton has a new leader, so we'll see how that works out.
And a shocker is Columbus! I hear that the coaches there are turning those guys around...the Cards may come up and be spoilers!

If I had to pick today,

I'd go with
1. Needville
2. Columbia
3. Sweeny

Just my 2 cents..... feel free to discuss.

raider red 2000
06-12-2007, 09:09 AM
to me it seems hard to pick needville.

how long has it been since they made the playoffs?

but they do have talent and i hear that they have been working hard.

time will tell.

nexfan
06-12-2007, 09:56 AM
It seems the Bluejays always have a good predistrict record but dont do so well come district time! I believe Columbia has beat them pretty handily over the last couple of years. Needville always seem to have some big boys but never any game breakers! I hope that they do well but it just seems hard to believe they are the district favorite! Sweeny, Wharton and Columbia are usually the three teams that win when they need too. I do know that Needville has to play us at home on turf this year and even though we lost some key players I think we'll have more team speed and that tends to be a big deterent for wins in Texas high school football!

carter08
06-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Needville has not beat Columbia since 1998.

Columbia has not lost a home district game since dropping to 3A.

Go Necks.

BU97
06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Needville has not beat Wharton since 1998 either.

Needville should be the district favorite, what happened to the former DC @ Needville?

scotty
06-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't believe Valentine will be DC at Needville only coach and teach. It's home for him and he wanted to go home. Great guy and wish him well. Sealy should be somewhat better and Coach Mitchell has the kids fired up, but don't see them ready to make a big splash. A tough pre-district schedule — Bellville, Rice and La Grange and then a real tough district will make it hard to improve much in the win column.

fireman1
06-12-2007, 04:06 PM
haha wow its pretty crazy everyone picking everyone else but Wharton to advance it scares me haha we just have to see how it plays out this season

Crow22
06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

time will tell.

We went 2 rounds in 2005. Missed the playoffs by an overtime loss last year.

Crow22
06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BU97
Needville has not beat Wharton since 1998 either.

Needville should be the district favorite, what happened to the former DC @ Needville?

Nothing happened. He's still the DC. The DC from Bellville is coming on as an assistant.

tigerpride_08
06-12-2007, 04:59 PM
with an 8 team district the standings will shake...maybe Needville will be the favorite but we'll have to see how the season goes...

maestro
06-12-2007, 05:12 PM
lower levels of classifications always cycle up and down...

i look for needville to be on the upswing....

size.......agressiveness........and skill position players...

now, it reads as though they've evn strenthened their coaching staff....

what will wharton bring to the table this year fireman???

BU97
06-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Crow22
Nothing happened. He's still the DC. The DC from Bellville is coming on as an assistant.

gotcha, good luck to ya'll this year, heard ya'll just got a new DSV system, how do ya'll like it, or do you have it yet?

Snydertigersrul
06-12-2007, 09:14 PM
No team in 24 can beat a team from District 3

BU97
06-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul

Whatever.

Snydertigersrul
06-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Is that all you can say

maestro
06-12-2007, 09:26 PM
strange how teams from various parts of Texas stack up..

i would have figured cuero as an unstoppable force.....

some teams are built for district championships....

some , build for the playoff run.....

and they're must be a difference...

your thoughts raider red????

Old Tiger
06-12-2007, 09:29 PM
it'll shake to the left a little then to the right

then it'll shake down

then it'll get shaken up

the it'll get shook to the middle

BU97
06-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Is that all you can say

I thought that "whatever" said it all:)

wedo
06-13-2007, 07:59 AM
before Needville makes a run they have to learn how to win ball games. they don't have a "winning" tradition there, although they do play tough! I saw a good talented team up on an Expirenced Wharton team late in the game and they couldn't close it out. It will be interesting to see how Needville plays with there stated ranking, b/c they have never played in a big game b4 in front of a huge playoff crowd!!

Centextrash
06-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Did you not see that the Jays played in the 2nd round of the playoffs in 2005? They had several Soph starting or getting reps then. They will be fine.

If COlumbia wasn't returning so few I would have picked them. Wasn't it not that long ago when the Necks went 1-9? That was after they made a big run in the playoffs, then lost several players the next year. Sound familiar? Big difference this time is they are in 3-A, not trying to play Bay City, EC, etc.

As for the Tigers, you never can tell. If Coach Van Zant brings in discipline, he may only have 29 on the varsity and 50 in the entire program. (That has happened before). That is why the jury is out on the Tigers. I hope they prove me wrong. They ALWAYS have the athletes!

Like someone said, in an 8 team district anything can happen.

charlesrixey
06-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

time will tell.

i agree--a playoff spot is likely, but have they shown that they are ready to win their district?

Crow22
06-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i agree--a playoff spot is likely, but have they shown that they are ready to win their district?

We'll just have to play it out and see. I can tell you this, however, with an undefeated JV and an undefeated 9th grade to supplement the 7-3 Varsity from last year that returns the best running back in the area and several other really talented players (including the entire offensive line).....we're expecting big things.

As far as Needville not having a "winning" tradition...you should do some history work first. Yes, we went thru a stretch in the early 2000's but Needville has definitely had a "winning" tradition. Semi-finals in 89 and several other playoff appearances.

Hopefully we can add to that this year. We'll see.

fireman1
06-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Umm I'll take that bet anytime... I agree Maestro Needville will have a good chance to make the playoffs even maybe win the D-Championship they have the players to do so.. but as for Wharton I have no idea we lost alot of key players this year its gonna be tough for a first year head coach to advance this season it was gonna be tough even if Coach Roberts woulda stayed but i dont know.... only time will tell

maestro
06-13-2007, 02:04 PM
good post crow 22...

neeedville is ready to roll...

tigerpride_08
06-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Dave Campbell's mag picked the district as this...

1.Needville
2.Sweeny
3.Wharton
4.Columbia

carter08
06-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
Dave Campbell's mag picked the district as this...

1.Needville
2.Sweeny
3.Wharton
4.Columbia

WOW. Dave is wrong.

tigerpride_08
06-13-2007, 05:20 PM
i really don't see it ending up like that too...it's going to be interesting to watch it unfold this season...i can already tell our last game(Needville in Wharton) well be very important...

carter08
06-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i really don't see it ending up like that too...it's going to be interesting to watch it unfold this season...i can already tell our last game(Needville in Wharton) well be very important...

Yep. Winner gets second in district.

tigerpride_08
06-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Yep. Winner gets second in district.

i hope that will be the case...:D

zebrablue2
06-13-2007, 05:37 PM
WOW. Dave is wrong. YTBD.

BU97
06-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Centextrash
As for the Tigers, you never can tell. If Coach Van Zant brings in discipline, he may only have 29 on the varsity and 50 in the entire program.

Man this never gets old to you does it. Tell me how we were so undisciplined? If you are still talking about a certain lineman from 2003 that was not very disciplined, watch him on Saturdays and you'll still see him do dumb stuff, I guess that is our fault too. The days of Wharton playing terrible assignment football and making stupid penalties has not been an issue in the last 3 years. Now you saw us play against Yoakum in 2004, and that was a TERRIBLE game on our part, we dropped passes, turned the ball over and forgot how to tackle, but as far as still playing the "undisciplined" card there I think is wrong, we just stunk up the joint that night. But we have had this argument before and it didnt have much of an effect then, nor will it now. I now call this argument closed since my tenure with the Tigers is over (it was fun while it lasted!)

As for Needville having no playoff experience or tradition is incorrect. As Crow said, the Jays went 2 rounds deep a few years back and had an excellent team last year that was certainly playoff worthy, but ended as the odd man out. Last years Wharton game had a playoff atmosphere and Needville really outplayed us, we just managed to pull it out in the end

scotty
06-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I remember some pretty darn good Needville teams when Roland Conrad was their coach and didn't coach Merritt take the Jays real deep in the playoffs before losting to eventual state champions Mexia some years back. Needville plays pretty well year in and year out.

necks_c/09
06-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by nexfan
It seems the Bluejays always have a good predistrict record but dont do so well come district time! I believe Columbia has beat them pretty handily over the last couple of years. Needville always seem to have some big boys but never any game breakers! I hope that they do well but it just seems hard to believe they are the district favorite! Sweeny, Wharton and Columbia are usually the three teams that win when they need too. I do know that Needville has to play us at home on turf this year and even though we lost some key players I think we'll have more team speed and that tends to be a big deterent for wins in Texas high school football! r u kidding me.......more team speed?......we just lost all our speed.
the only kind of speed we have coming back is Rb/Olb J. Holmes....

we lost

K. Rodgers
J. Edwards
J. Flannel
Twins
J. Woodard

we will be smaller......slower.....and less talented....

i hate to say it but needville has to be the favorite

c/o 07 was one of the most talented classes to come through CHS.....will be hard to overcome the losses....not to mention D1 talent C. Matocha.

necks_c/09
06-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by scotty
I remember some pretty darn good Needville teams when Roland Conrad was their coach and didn't coach Merritt take the Jays real deep in the playoffs before losting to eventual state champions Mexia some years back. Needville plays pretty well year in and year out. yes.....and from what i hear....merritt is back with their JH now....

they lost in 89 to mexia in the semis 7-6.......field goal kicker missed 2 field goals and an ep......all within 5 yd. line.

supposedely he was all state too.....i think he coaches at sweeny now....but not all his fault either.......mexia scored their td on a busted play......

anyways......the way i know all this is my uncle was co- team mvp that year.....warren stapleton-DT-OL

do u remeber their Bad A$$ running back.....willy wilkerson?...... his nephew is the RB now at needville......Thadeus Wilkerson

good genes

fireman1
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
yea I dont see why some people think the Wharton teams are always undisciplined this argument gets me all the time but whatever people are going to think what they want..... BU97 how are things going for yall?

scotty
06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Mexia had some absolute studs that year. They beat Sealy something like 21-7 and had those big thick running backs that really punished the defenders. I can't remember his name, but the guy who coached them had all sorts of troubles, a stroke, wife left him and eventually lost his job there. He hooked on with Caldwell for some time and I just saw where he landed a head job at I believe a class A or AA school. He must be getting up in years.

carter08
06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
r u kidding me.......more team speed?......we just lost all our speed.
the only kind of speed we have coming back is Rb/Olb J. Holmes....

we lost

K. Rodgers
J. Edwards
J. Flannel
Twins
J. Woodard

we will be smaller......slower.....and less talented....

i hate to say it but needville has to be the favorite

c/o 07 was one of the most talented classes to come through CHS.....will be hard to overcome the losses....not to mention D1 talent C. Matocha.

Really now?

Smaller? On the O-Line? Because thats wrong. Adding CJ and Josh King, adds a lot of size to the line, and really helps the run game. As long as BJ doesn't spend his time focusing on soccer, the line will be good. Jay Holmes isn't the only back. I expect Juicy to have a big year. There is a lot of speed. Peredo, Issac, Steve... 08 is has speed. There is also plenty of talent. Look at the records of the class of 09 since 7th grade. That is a talented group.

Centextrash
06-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah, when you have kids come and say "we will **** your a$$ up" to FEMALE trainers 2 hours before game time...yeah that screams of discipline.
OR
How bout kids transering to other schools and NOT knowing how to lift weights, cause "we didn't have to lift at Wharton"
OR
Kids cussing parents of the visiting team at FRESHMAN games.
Yeah they shows MUCH discipline.

When I watched you vs. Yoakum, I thought to myself that the Tigers didn't want to play physical that night. YOU COULD NOT STOP THE G. That's what beat you, not the dropped passes. The Bulldogs had there way with you.

I hate to kick you when you are down, and I hope you are in a better place. HOWEVER, I am saying what I am about Wharton as a TOWN. NO blame was upon the previous staff. It is the community.

AND

Yes the child that plays on Sat. still looks like an A$$.

Originally posted by BU97
Man this never gets old to you does it. Tell me how we were so undisciplined? If you are still talking about a certain lineman from 2003 that was not very disciplined, watch him on Saturdays and you'll still see him do dumb stuff, I guess that is our fault too. The days of Wharton playing terrible assignment football and making stupid penalties has not been an issue in the last 3 years. Now you saw us play against Yoakum in 2004, and that was a TERRIBLE game on our part, we dropped passes, turned the ball over and forgot how to tackle, but as far as still playing the "undisciplined" card there I think is wrong, we just stunk up the joint that night. But we have had this argument before and it didnt have much of an effect then, nor will it now. I now call this argument closed since my tenure with the Tigers is over (it was fun while it lasted!)

mac77
06-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Really now?

Smaller? On the O-Line? Because thats wrong. Adding CJ and Josh King, adds a lot of size to the line, and really helps the run game. As long as BJ doesn't spend his time focusing on soccer, the line will be good. Jay Holmes isn't the only back. I expect Juicy to have a big year. There is a lot of speed. Peredo, Issac, Steve... 08 is has speed. There is also plenty of talent. Look at the records of the class of 09 since 7th grade. That is a talented group.

Pay attention Carter! He's right, we don't have any team speed. When a 4.7 is the fastest guy on the team, YOU ARE SLOW! There are 280 lb linemen that can run a 4.7. And size don't matter when you can't MOVE!

3afan
06-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, when you have kids come and say "we will **** your a$$ up" to FEMALE trainers 2 hours before game time...yeah that screams of discipline.
OR
How bout kids transering to other schools and NOT knowing how to lift weights, cause "we didn't have to lift at Wharton"
OR

When I watched you vs. Yoakum, I thought to myself that the Tigers didn't want to play physical that night. YOU COULD NOT STOP THE G. That's what beat you, not the dropped passes. The Bulldogs had there way with you.

I hate to kick you when you are down, and I hope you are in a better place. HOWEVER, I am saying what I am about Wharton as a TOWN. NO blame was upon the previous staff. It is the community.

AND

wow - really hard to blame/condemn an entire community based on the mouths of a few kids. every town has "those kind" of kids whether they want to admit it or not ...

Bull19
06-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
wow - really hard to blame/condemn an entire community based on the mouths of a few kids. every town has "those kind" of kids whether they want to admit it or not ...

some more than others

fireman1
06-15-2007, 02:11 PM
OR
OR

AND

now now dont talk about Wharton ive been to alot of places where the students talk mess and even want to fight us and i dont blame the town, coaches, or the school every town has those kids and if you think yours is different then you must not get out much

Johnnypaycheck
06-15-2007, 02:13 PM
every village has the local idiots.

tigerpride_08
06-15-2007, 04:55 PM
OR
OR

AND

being a player of the football team this really makes me mad...your typing that Wharton as a community and as players is nothing but trouble...maybe your right, some of our players lack sportmanship but in no way does that reflect from our coaches...i had to sit out games previous to my varsity playing time for the personal fouls i had...the coaches were always in my face not to do it...i loved our coaches and had nothing but respect for the Roberts...they never told us to play dirty, but they just make us try harder....and as for the Yoakum game i was there also and i promise all of our players tried hard that night...and our Wharton Community backs up all our sporting events and our coaches remind us we are representing Wharton where ever we play and we showed the respect we were showed where we play...

g$$
06-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
yes.....and from what i hear....merritt is back with their JH now....

they lost in 89 to mexia in the semis 7-6.......field goal kicker missed 2 field goals and an ep......all within 5 yd. line.

supposedely he was all state too.....i think he coaches at sweeny now....but not all his fault either.......mexia scored their td on a busted play......

anyways......the way i know all this is my uncle was co- team mvp that year.....warren stapleton-DT-OL

do u remeber their Bad A$$ running back.....willy wilkerson?...... his nephew is the RB now at needville......Thadeus Wilkerson

good genes

I played against Willie & his older brother Davis Wilkerson. Thadeus is a good one too. We (Sweeny) won district & lost in the state semis that year (1988) to Navasota & we choked it away. Gosh we had talent all over the field even after key injuries & grades (Free, Mack, Franklin, Morris all missed time or the whole season). SLC won the 3A title a week later. Sweeny lost to district runner-up Needville in the quarters in 1989 after my class graduated.

But you are right - good genetics. Stapleton was a good player too. Merritt is an awful bball ref by the way!

zebrablue2
06-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
every village has the local idiots. Amen..

maestro
06-16-2007, 08:06 AM
a very, very competitive district....

deserving playoff teams getting squeezed out....

this thread shows the emotion of this district.....

Centextrash
06-16-2007, 08:43 AM
OK...so maybe Wharton has the best community ever! Heck Dan Rather came from there! What am I thinking!
Maybe only the bad things happened while I was around. If that is the case, then you can understand why I feel that way. I wish the Tigers all of the best.

g$$
06-16-2007, 03:43 PM
OK...so maybe Wharton has the best community ever! Heck Dan Rather came from there! What am I thinking!
Maybe only the bad things happened while I was around. If that is the case, then you can understand why I feel that way. I wish the Tigers all of the best.

I hear you buddy. Heck, my old dentist practiced in Wharton for years, but he was a Sweeny boy! And Dan Rather was from Houston & only lived in Wharton with relatives for a while. Hope you are doing well & gearing up for another season.

The rap on Wharton, fairly or unfairly, has been a whole bunch of talent with little to show for it & a lack of discipline (esp. in football). Take that for what you will, but that has been the prevailing opinion among lots of people I respect. Best of luck w/ the new regime in Wharton.

My picks preseason on paper:
1. Needville
2. Sweeny
3. Sealy

Centextrash
06-16-2007, 04:30 PM
[

Centextrash
06-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The rap on Wharton, fairly or unfairly, has been a whole bunch of talent with little to show for it & a lack of discipline (esp. in football). Take that for what you will, but that has been the prevailing opinion among lots of people I respect. Best of luck w/ the new regime in Wharton.

[/B]

DITTO....

You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

Good luck Tigers.

It must SUCK being in an 8 team district.