PDA

View Full Version : The baseball playoffs are kind of screwy

mwynn05
06-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Pretty much every one in every round plays a best two out of three series then you get to state and its one and done. The UIL should either make the state tournament double elimination or mandate one game playoffs for some sense of uniformity just an opinion from a non baseball person (ie non-player and person with out great knowledge of the intricacies of the game)

kaorder1999
06-07-2007, 08:56 PM
ive never liked it either. Another thing about it I dont like is I went to watch Forneyplay for 4 years in a row or 5 or whatever it was and I didn't like the fact that they had to play in consecutive days

Old Tiger
06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
it's dumb and makes the season more drawn out than it has to be.

GreenMonster
06-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I wish they would go to a double elimination tournament format for the UIL Finals. Since it isn't a tournament but rather a collection of games I don't even know why they call it a tournament. If you're gonna call it a tournament play it as a tournament.

RiverRat19
06-07-2007, 09:40 PM
In a perfect world it would be a double elimination tournament similar to the NCAA Regionals but the logistics could get hairy getting all those games in for 5 classifications in the same location.

Part of the allure and quality of the UIL championships for basketball, track, softball, and baseball are the fact that all of these championships are decided in roughly the same location within the same timeframe. Having the double elimination format may make it difficult for both baseball and softball.

sinton66
06-07-2007, 10:25 PM
While the longer stays might be costlier to the schools involved, they could also go to a best of 3 neutral site format. Football has the choice of playing the championship anywhere they want.

RiverRat19
06-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
While the longer stays might be costlier to the schools involved, they could also go to a best of 3 neutral site format. Football has the choice of playing the championship anywhere they want.
True but with the recent decision to have a pre-designated site for the 5A football championship, this may be the trend the UIL may go to for all championships. I think it would be very exciting to see a venue host the 1A-3A state title games at one cite (one weekend for DI and the following for DII) and the 4A & 5A championships at another.

Having a state tournament is exciting for fans as it gives a better opportunity to see schools and classifications that they may not normally watch during the regular season or playoffs.

sinton66
06-07-2007, 10:36 PM
That's true about the excitement. I kinda would like to see it go to a rotational format if they go fixed site. I don't think it's fair that Austin gets to reap all the benefits. Lotsa money spent in these deals. Couldn't hurt to spread the wealth a bit.

RiverRat19
06-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
That's true about the excitement. I kinda would like to see it go to a rotational format if they go fixed site. I don't think it's fair that Austin gets to reap all the benefits. Lotsa money spent in these deals. Couldn't hurt to spread the wealth a bit.
Austin, San Antonio, and/or Waco could be the most equitable locations as teams from far west already have a long trip and going further south or east only make it harder for them. The same is true for teams from the Rio Grande Valley area or far East Texas if the sites are moved too farther north or south.

Moving the capitol of Texas to Austin (Waterloo) during the era of the Republic was wise by our founding fathers as it provided for a more central meeting point for all Texans than the Houston area. I think the same is true today.

sinton66
06-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Yes, but what I meant was a rotation of all four regions, There are plenty of places that could host an all class football playoff system of final four contestants.

Corpus Christi isn't a big city by any means, but within a 30 mi. radius of it, There are one Div2 college field, two 5A fields, four 4A fields, six 3a fields, and three 2A fields.

Region 1 would probably have to gang up on a tourney between Midland, Abilene and San Angelo, but even they could make it happen.

RiverRat19
06-07-2007, 11:02 PM
I see your point but it may all be too political to get these already well established championships moved from the Austin area. UIL also may do some kind of cost analysis that helps to decide where the best opportunity for revenue generation for themselves and the schools involved would be and find again that a central location works the best.

sinton66
06-07-2007, 11:12 PM
They get a percentage of the gates wherever the games are played, don't they? And football already plays wherever they want as long as it's a neutral site.

I doubt it'll ever happen, just something I've always thought about.