PDA

View Full Version : Tarpons

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Alright...I just want to know how you think the Tarpons will have done by the end of the district round. I remember at the Raymondville game we were hoping and even chanting over in the band section for 6-0.

Another thing. I don't know if anyone else is concerned, but not only because I am a band member, but simply because I am concerned about the path our town in headed in, but is anyone else concerned about how much disrespect has been shown to the band lately? I mean, I'm not saying, "hey look at us and kiss our feet", I'm just starting to notice that lately, we've been getting more attention- but it's horrible negative attention. I mean, one year, everyone loves us and cheers us on for state marching, the next year it's kinda neutral because it wasnt a state year and the team was doing really well and now this year it's totally opposite. People boo us, treat us horrible at games...I would have given anything to have been able to go back after halftime to the LF side instead of going back to the PI side. I was pretty ashamed if anyone from LF heard some of the things that were going on. It's really rather upsetting and I'm concerned about the moral of our school dropping tremendously. And especially to have PIHS students root for other school's football team AND band.

What the heck is going on???

Jacket2000
09-23-2002, 09:28 PM
I think PI, and every other district 32 team, will go two rounds deep at the very most, and then get beat. Maybe even in bi-district.
J2K

Kool Tarpon 21
09-23-2002, 09:33 PM
I don't know why people were booing the band. It's also a part of Port Isabel. I think people should just stop and see what kinds of talents Port Isabel consists of. I think we have many talented students and athletes. I think we are good all around.

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Well Jacket, thanks for the encouraging words....(??)

Missile, it's not even that. When I called the band to attention on the field Friday night, somebody yelled shut up...from out side. It was probably that dumb Doom Monkey guy. But Hey, Missile, feel free to stand up for us...whenever

Big Tarp 74
09-24-2002, 07:22 PM
Jacket, why do you think we will be beat in bi-district. The bi-dirstict teams have done very poorly, against 32-AAA teams this year. Most of the better 32-AAA teams have been playing very good 32 & 31 4A teams. If you have not seen Los Fresnso this year, then you have missed something. I counted about 3 droped passes, they completed about 25 or 30. They have been avg 435 yard per game. They had 591 yard of offense against Donna who was picked by most sport writter to be one of the best teams in 5A in south texas.
The problem that Los Fresnos had with Port Isabel, was the speed. PI is just plain fast. Jacket, the have the states fastest 400 meter runner. PI also has about 4 more with tremendous speed. Los Fresnos found this out, just like FAL, which is the district leader in District 31-AAA. I spoke with several of the Fal fans, and they said that PI was much faster than Wes Oso, they just could not beleive how fast we were. They said they did not see this speed last year, what changed? I told them that several ball players had just come up from the JV. They said that they are grease lighting fast. I sat near several scouts at the Los Fresnos game, and all they could say is wow, these boys are lighting fast. When Los Fresnos had to catch them, they couldnt. So Jacket please give them a little credit. PI rushed for 481 yards against one of the best 4A teams in all of south texas. That is a good amount of yardage in a single game. If any thing changed since the last game we played, it was that the Valley, saw just how good we can play, and according to some of the college scouts that were there, they also stated, this team could beat anyone on any given night. It was by far one of the best scouting reviews, these guys have seen in quite sometime. A tremendous quarterback, great receivers, and running backs with lighting speed. One scout also asked about the Missle, he had heard he was fast, and gotta chance to see him run for a touchdown. He said that that was one of the fastest kids he has seen in years.
Please give us a break!

Originally posted by Jacket2000:
I think PI, and every other district 32 team, will go two rounds deep at the very most, and then get beat. Maybe even in bi-district.
J2K

Jacket2000
09-24-2002, 07:26 PM
I said MAYBE even in bi-district. If I was a bettin' man, Id say area.
J2K

Big Tarp 74
09-24-2002, 07:38 PM
Thank you Jacket. I did not say they were going to win it all, but they are a good football team, who has had a tough pre-season. Here is a write up you might like.

Falcons capture Highway 100 battle

By James Beltran
The Brownsville Herald

LOS FRESNOS — It was a sprint from the opening kickoff, which is just what the Los Fresnos Falcons wanted.

But after escaping with a 42-35 win over Port Isabel on Friday at Leo Aguilar Stadium, Los Fresnos may want to re-examine some aspects of its high-scoring philosophy. Namely, it needs to find ways to keep opponents from joining its offense in the points festival.

"We said we wanted a track meet," said a perspired Los Fresnos head coach Scott Ford, whose Falcons won the ‘Battle of Highway 100’ for the seventh straight time. "Maybe that’s not what we wanted."

The humidity may have added to Ford’s perspiration during the post-game interview, but Port Isabel’s fourth-quarter comeback undoubtedly also played a role.

The Tarpons trailed by 21 points with under seven minutes left in the fourth before two breakaway touchdown runs by Johnny Nieto (76 yards) and Joe Arevalo (81 yards) cut the lead to seven at the 3:16 mark.

The Falcons drained the clock with a few healthy runs, but Ford would have preferred an easier win.

"The thing we learned is that the game is not over until the final whistle blows," the Los Fresnos coach said. "I don’t think we played very well defensively in the first half.

"But I give Port Isabel all the credit for having the character to come back. It’s a rivalry for a reason, and I learned that tonight."

The Falcons’ defense held firm for most of the second half, holding the Tarpons to two first downs before the late scores.

The offense made the most of that chance, ballooning a five-point halftime lead to 42-21with David Araiza’s 29-yard catch from quarterback Matt Garza with 6:40 left in the game.

It was Los Fresnos’ fourth unanswered score since the second quarter.

Garza lit up the Tarpons’ secondary for 249 yards on 18-of-25 passing with six touchdown tosses. Araiza was his favorite target, reeling in seven receptions for 131 yards.

"They got us on some long ones," said Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh, whose defense allowed 406 yards. "The kids just didn’t get in the right spot. We’re still learning. They got great receivers and (Garza) throws the ball well."

Port Isabel moved the ball well early, collecting 264 first-half yards and controlling the clock with time-consuming drives. The Tarpons scored on their first three possessions, the most impressive being a 14-play, 80-yard drive that consumed 7:48. Joey Loera capped the drive, weaving through an exhausted Los Fresnos defense for a 10-yard run and a 14-14 tie.

"We knew they were an explosive team," Stumbaugh said. "We were trying to keep them off the field. We didn’t want to get in a track meet. But we ran with them."

Los Fresnos’ offense was tough to match.

The Falcons began the game with a surprising run-oriented offense, taking advantage of quarterback keepers from Garza.

Seven of their first 10 plays from scrimmage were runs, and the occasional air attack caught Port Isabel’s secondary off guard. Three of Garza’s first five attempts went for touchdowns, including a 64-yard toss to Araiza for a 20-14 lead.

Los Fresnos didn’t convert on a two-point attempt after that play, and then a failed onside-kick attempt gave Port Isabel good field position for its next drive.

The Tarpons took advantage, using only five plays to complete a 52-yard drive that was capped by Joey Loera’s 9-yard touchdown run. A fourth-and-3, 39-yard run by Misael Iracheta highlighted the drive, and Erick Martinez’s extra point gave Port Isabel a 21-20 lead with 5:17 left in the second quarter.

That is when the Falcons temporarily dumped the run attack and relied more on the arm of Garza. He completed consecutive passes to Araiza (28 and 15 yards), setting up a highlight-reel 12-yard diving catch by Jesse Gonzalez in the back corner of the end zone for a 26-21 halftime lead.

It was the beginning of the slide for Port Isabel, which surrendered a 17-yard TD reception by Jesus Garcia on Los Fresnos’ first possession of the second half. Javier Larraga added a 25-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter for a 35-21 lead.

Port Isabel fell behind 42-21 before Nieto and Arevalo padded Port Isabel’s statistics with TD runs. The onside kick attempts failed, but Stumbaugh was impressed with his team’s fourth-quarter effort.

"A lot of people didn’t even think we’d be able to stay on the field with these guys, except us" Stumbaugh said. "The kids played hard. We needed to find our heart and we found it."

Originally posted by Jacket2000:
I said MAYBE even in bi-district. If I was a bettin' man, Id say area.
J2K