PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ad! (For Ad only)

Phil C
06-06-2007, 10:05 AM
This morning I had to stop for a train but was too late to see the engine and that is like missing the whole train.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

http://ricks.trainpage.com/thumbnails/Train%60120t.JPG

Adidas410s
06-06-2007, 10:11 AM
too bad you still had to wait through such disappointment... :(

Phil C
06-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
too bad you still had to wait through such disappointment... :(

Actually it wasn't that bad because that train was really moving and I think we only had to wait about 15 seconds. :)

Adidas410s
06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
you should come sit outside our mills some day about 520 PM. If you don't leave the office right at 5 (and sometimes if you do) it's very likely that you will get caught by the 100+ car trains moving in and out of our rail station. However, they're only moving at about 10 to 15 mph so it can sometimes take 20 or 30 minutes for them to pull in...pull back out because they ended up on the wrong rail...and then pull back in again. They also typically have at least one engine on each end...so much enjoyment is to be had! :)

Phil C
06-06-2007, 11:12 AM
you should come sit outside our mills some day about 520 PM. If you don't leave the office right at 5 (and sometimes if you do) it's very likely that you will get caught by the 100+ car trains moving in and out of our rail station. However, they're only moving at about 10 to 15 mph so it can sometimes take 20 or 30 minutes for them to pull in...pull back out because they ended up on the wrong rail...and then pull back in again. They also typically have at least one engine on each end...so much enjoyment is to be had! :)

Much enjoyment indeed! :)

Phil C
06-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Ad many years ago I worked for an accounting firm that did the City of Dilley, Texas audit. Dilley is a small city about 70 miles Southwest of San Antonio on Highway 35. The picture below shows the water tower and parts of downdown. You have to look close but there are railroad tracks there. The Brown two story Building was the City Hall and you can see the second floor where we worked in a conference room and you can see the windows that we could look out of and watch the trains when they passed by. They had one pass every couple of hours and they didn't slow down either. One of my workers named Jerry remarked once while a train was passing "Johnny Cash would like this town."

:)

http://www.texasescapes.com/SouthTexasTowns/DilleyTx/DilleyTXWatertower402.jpg

Adidas410s
06-06-2007, 11:26 AM
My dad spent 18 months working in Dilley in 1988 and 1989. He worked 14 days on and 24 hours off. We would stay at a motel in Pleasanton when we went to visit him. I remember a dust storm coming through and throwing the pool chairs into the pool at us while we were swimming. Scary times indeed!!!

Phil C
06-06-2007, 11:29 AM
My dad spent 18 months working in Dilley in 1988 and 1989. He worked 14 days on and 24 hours off. We would stay at a motel in Pleasanton when we went to visit him. I remember a dust storm coming through and throwing the pool chairs into the pool at us while we were swimming. Scary times indeed!!!

Most scary indeed!

Actually we had the main office in Pleasanton and most of the firm would go back to Pleasanton. I worked in the branch office in Sinton and stayed at a motel in Dilley. They didn't have a pool but it was a nice hotel. Of course after a long day at work I would eat somewhere and then just watch tv at the hotel. The Brown Building I showed you that was City Hall was once the local bank but the bank moved to a bigger building just south of town.