PDA

View Full Version : Success of Sinton's Alaniz Family

piratebg
06-06-2007, 05:01 AM
Success on field at Sinton runs in Alaniz family

By Javier Becerra (Contact)
Originally published 01:00 a.m., June 6, 2007
Updated 03:13 a.m., June 6, 2007

Andres Alaniz has always looked up to his older brothers Emi III and Adrian.

After watching both siblings help Sinton reach the University Interscholastic League state baseball championships, naturally Andres wanted to do the same. He finally got his chance.

A senior, Andres and the rest of the Pirates are playing defending Class 3A champion Texarkana Liberty-Eylau in the first of two semifinals at 4 p.m. today at The Dell Diamond in Round Rock. The winner plays in Thursday's title game against Abilene Wylie or Jasper.

Regardless of the outcome, Andres is happy to have continued what is now a family tradition.

"My dad (Emi Jr.) is on top of the world right now," said Andres, Sinton's starting first baseman. "He's so glad that I'm going to experience what my brothers did. I just want to go out and make everybody proud."

Emi Jr. sure is.

"First of all, my wife and I have to thank the Lord for giving us three healthy sons," he said. "It's been a great ride, but it took a lot of hard work and dedication. We're definitely excited."

Emi III was a sophomore when Sinton went to state in 1999, but lost to Liberty 6-1 in the semifinals.

The Pirates returned in 2002, Adrian's junior season. The team defeated Wylie 4-1 in the semifinals before beating Forney 5-0 for the state championship, the program's first since 1989.

Sinton had a chance to capture a second straight title in 2003 after taking out Canyon 4-3 in 10 innings in the semifinals. However, Lorena escaped with a 3-2 victory in eight innings to grab the crown.

Now it's time to root for Andres.

"We support him 100 percent," said Adrian, the 2007 Big 12 Pitcher of the Year and second-team All-American out of Texas. "We're proud of him and all the accomplishments he's had throughout the years. I told him to seize every moment, because it's going to go by fast. The fact that he gets to experience the same thing we did really means a lot."

Just like Andres, Adrian remembers wanting to follow in his older brother's footsteps.

"We all wanted to be in the spotlight, whether it was on the mound or getting a big hit," Adrian said. "It's an honor to be a part of the tradition that Sinton has. Not many schools get to experience something like that. Getting the chance to play for a state championship is a great feeling."

It'll feel even better being there to watch Andres close out his high school career, especially after the Longhorns were eliminated from the NCAA tournament on Monday.

"It's very unfortunate that we're out of it," he said, "but I really haven't had a whole lot of chances to see my little brother play."

As excited as the family is, Emi Jr. knows Andres is even more eager to step on the field.

"Andres is fired up," he said. "To be able to experience the same thing his brothers did is a dream come true."

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or becerraj@caller.com