PDA

View Full Version : So, the dog died last night.....

luvhoops34
06-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Found out this morning. I have been up at Raelene's helping her with the remaining five puppies. We also had to get the female out of the whelping pen. Raelene wants to take her back to the vet clinic and show them what happened by them not doing a c-section to remove the after birth from the last puppy she had. Not going to be a very fun day. :(

Txbroadcaster
06-05-2007, 12:09 PM
So then She was Right?

JasperDog94
06-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I hope nobody gets hurt at the vet...:eek:

CalallenWildcat
06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I'd like someone to do an autopsy on that dog. Seems sort of fishy to me.

luvhoops34
06-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Yea, Raelene was right....

But she decided it wouldn't do any good to haul the dead dog to the vet. :(

The remaining five puppies are pooping, peeing and sucking the bottle good. :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Yea, Raelene was right....

But she decided it wouldn't do any good to haul the dead dog to the vet. :(

The remaining five puppies are pooping, peeing and sucking the bottle good. :)

I would have hauled it to the vet and broke it off in someone, but that's just me.

Ranger Mom
06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I would have hauled it to the vet and broke it off in someone, but that's just me.

I have to agree! He must not have known much about English Bulldogs!

pirate4state
06-05-2007, 01:41 PM
I would have hauled it to the vet and broke it off in someone, but that's just me. I don't know if I would have "broke it off in someone" but I have you to do that so yeah...:mad:

He needs to be reported. How long has this person been a vet?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I don't know if I would have "broke it off in someone" but I have you to do that so yeah...:mad:

He needs to be reported. How long has this person been a vet?

So what, am I your enforcer now?

pirate4state
06-05-2007, 01:45 PM
So what, am I your enforcer now? Yes!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yes!

Can I be the Official 3A Down Low Enforcer?

I nominate KTA to be my sidekick.

luvhoops34
06-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Can I be the Official 3A Down Low Enforcer?

I nominate KTA to be my sidekick.

KTA would be a good one. Take my word for it. You don't want to EVER piss him off. Definitely not a good idea. :)

vet93
06-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I know I am getting in on the end of this fiasco and don't know all of the details...however, it is possible that the dog died of something other than a retained placenta...it is not necessarily standard protocol in all situations to do a c-section for a placenta that fails to come out...even in Bulldogs. Bulldogs, especially English Bulldogs are much like sheep...that are looking for a place to die! Also remember that Hindsight is also 20/20 and that everyone would recommend a different protocol now...given the outcome. I am in noway saying that she didn't die due to the reasons that have been mentioned...however, much better veterinarians than I have been accused of things that they had little control over when their only failing was that they were not God and could not see all conceivable possibilities.

Found out this morning. I have been up at Raelene's helping her with the remaining five puppies. We also had to get the female out of the whelping pen. Raelene wants to take her back to the vet clinic and show them what happened by them not doing a c-section to remove the after birth from the last puppy she had. Not going to be a very fun day. :(

Ranger Mom
06-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by vet93
I know I am getting in on the end of this fiasco and don't know all of the details...however, it is possible that the dog died of something other than a retained placenta...it is not necessarily standard protocol in all situations to do a c-section for a placenta that fails to come out...even in Bulldogs. Bulldogs, especially English Bulldogs are much like sheep...that are looking for a place to die! Also remember that Hindsight is also 20/20 and that everyone would recommend a different protocol now...given the outcome. I am in noway saying that she didn't die due to the reasons that have been mentioned...however, much better veterinarians than I have been accused of things that they had little control over when their only failing was that they were not God and could not see all conceivable possibilities.

Like I said....English Bulldogs are a bigger problem than they are worth.....give me a good old mutt any day!!!

luvhoops34
06-05-2007, 04:57 PM

This dog had to have a c-section the last time she had puppies to get a dead puppy out. The vet knew that, it was on her record. He gave her an antibiotic. Raelene had already given her oxytocin and she didn't pass the afterbirth. She had a green, smelly discharge. All she wanted them to do was perform a c-section, which she was willing to pay for, and clean her dog out. :(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-05-2007, 06:04 PM
KTA would be a good one. Take my word for it. You don't want to EVER piss him off. Definitely not a good idea. :)

He and I have butted heads in the past, and he's just as stubborn and ready to kick some arse as I am, why do you think I nominated him?

injuredinmelee
06-05-2007, 06:06 PM

I love it..
Bulldogs, especially English Bulldogs are much like sheep...that are looking for a place to die!

vet93
06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
With a uterine infection of that magnitude it is likely that even a surgical procedure to remove the retained placenta would not have cleared the infection. Pyometra is notorious for not responding to anything but an ovariohysterectomy. It is also quite possible that she had a uterine tear from the delivery and actually died from peritonitis and not pyometra. Just like with people, dog's that have had a c-section are more prone to uterine tears, infection and hemorrage. I probably would have recommended spaying her at the time that she starting producing the purulent discharge. That would have likely saved her, but obviously would have kept her from producing any more offspring.

This dog had to have a c-section the last time she had puppies to get a dead puppy out. The vet knew that, it was on her record. He gave her an antibiotic. Raelene had already given her oxytocin and she didn't pass the afterbirth. She had a green, smelly discharge. All she wanted them to do was perform a c-section, which she was willing to pay for, and clean her dog out. :(

Fal44
06-05-2007, 08:35 PM
poor dog :(...

luvhoops34
06-05-2007, 09:47 PM
With a uterine infection of that magnitude it is likely that even a surgical procedure to remove the retained placenta would not have cleared the infection. Pyometra is notorious for not responding to anything but an ovariohysterectomy. It is also quite possible that she had a uterine tear from the delivery and actually died from peritonitis and not pyometra. Just like with people, dog's that have had a c-section are more prone to uterine tears, infection and hemorrage. I probably would have recommended spaying her at the time that she starting producing the purulent discharge. That would have likely saved her, but obviously would have kept her from producing any more offspring.

Thanks for the info. I don't think she had any discharge till after the puppies were born.:(

KTA
06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooooooo Id be PISSED!!

1. Im with BBDE id go down there and break my foot off in that dudes AS..err butt. Kinda funny Raelene was actully right about something :eek:

2. I dont do the side kick thing...no offense, BUT I could do the "Unified Butt Kickers" thing. Kinda like the justice league;)

So is that official? lol :D