PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville VS. Atlanta

MonkeyJoe
12-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Who would you pick to win this game and be the true Class 3A State Champion?

BulldogGrl64
12-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Neither

Fletch
12-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Even though Atlanta beat Gainesville last year, I still think the Leps would win. This year's team is significantly better than last year. New HC and OC made tons of difference, and Purvey was unstoppable.

Yes Atlanta has speed on D so the score wouldn't be high, but the Leps D was hell on the run also, so I see Atlanta having trouble moving the ball also.

Gainesville 17
Atlanta 7

Bellville22
12-22-2003, 05:58 PM
As a neutral fan, I saw both of these teams play. I thought Gainesville was by far the best 3A team... until I saw Atlanta. WOW!

Atlanta 28
Gainesville 17

MonkeyJoe
12-23-2003, 10:34 AM
ttt

zippy
12-23-2003, 11:33 AM
This is in response to Bellville22. It's hard to compare 2 teams against each other when they aren't playing each other.

If you'll look at the score and stat's from the Atlanta vs Marlin game and the Burnet vs Marlin game you'll see that Burnet equally overpowered Marlin. In fact, Marlin's only score was when our second team QB fumbled the ball and Marlins D scored off that fumble.

The point I'm trying to make is....Give Gainsville their props...I think they are the best team. :)

FBJones
12-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Both teams did a great job. Saw them both also. Atlanta's D really was good enough to shut down G'ville, at least better than anyone else did. I'd take Atlanta 20-14.

Bellville22
12-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Response to 'zippy':

Don't get me wrong, I think G'ville is a VERY VERY good football team, and I certainly respect any arguments for them being the best in the state. I'm simply stating my opinion, and from what I saw, I think ATL would win. ATL has a GREAT, SUFFOCATING run defense (allowed -6 to Marlin), and G'ville isn't a great passing team, not bad, but not great. Atlanta can also match G'ville's speed, which I didn't think was possible two weeks ago.

It's hard to compare the game line from Burnet/Marlin and Atl/Marlin. Marlin was without some key players, or had just gotten them back, they were certainly not playing at the level that they played at the end of the year. And Atl is a different team from Burnet. The Rabbs aren't a team that can just explode on offense like Burnet can. They run the ball 98% of the time, and simply pound it down the field, breaking one every now and then. Atlantas defense is much better than Burnet, not many will dispute that.

Doesn't really matter what we think, but it's fun to discuss. Both are State Champs, and both are great teams. IMHO, Atlanta is the best, but I certainly respect others viewpoints.