PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost to run a stop sign?

Keith7
06-04-2007, 03:19 PM
So I was leaving my apartment this morning to go job searching and I pulled up to the stop sign just outside of our complex and stopped as I normally do and about half a block later there was a cop behind me flashing his lights, so I pull over and he asks me if I know what I have done to get pulled over.. I told him I wasn't sure, and then he told me I rolled thru the stop sign outside my complex.. I still believe I stopped and this cop just didn't have the right angle from where he was parked to see if I fully stopped.. Does anyone know if I have any chance on fighting this ticket? and since I prolly don't, how much does this kinda ticket cost?? I realize most people on the downlow are prolly excellent drivers so there might not be much insite on this subject but any info would be appreciated..

gobbler grad
06-04-2007, 03:23 PM
My 20 year old got a ticket for the same thing about a month ago in Austin and it cost his mother around $100.00:D

Keith7
06-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
My 20 year old got a ticket for the same thing about a month ago in Austin and it cost his mother around $100.00:D

ok thats not too bad, definently not worth rolling thru the stop sign but its not gonna put be bankrupt... Thanks for the info

Astrosdawg07
06-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
So I was leaving my apartment this morning to go job searching and I pulled up to the stop sign just outside of our complex and stopped as I normally do and about half a block later there was a cop behind me flashing his lights, so I pull over and he asks me if I know what I have done to get pulled over.. I told him I wasn't sure, and then he told me I rolled thru the stop sign outside my complex.. I still believe I stopped and this cop just didn't have the right angle from where he was parked to see if I fully stopped.. Does anyone know if I have any chance on fighting this ticket? and since I prolly don't, how much does this kinda ticket cost?? I realize most people on the downlow are prolly excellent drivers so there might not be much insite on this subject but any info would be appreciated..

In Jasper County it will run you about $180, I got first hand experience.:rolleyes:

Keith7
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
In Jasper County it will run you about $180, I got first hand experience.:rolleyes:

lets hope Denton county is more like travis county than jasper county

mwynn05
06-04-2007, 03:31 PM
My friend got a ticket for the same thing last week....what intersection did you get it at

JasperDog94
06-04-2007, 03:32 PM
The fine isn't so bad. It's all the extra fees that are tacked on afterward. A normal fine may only be 50 bucks, but all the other fees add up to closer to 150 bucks.:( :mad: :mad:

Old Green
06-04-2007, 03:32 PM
It's been awhile since i was in Law Enforcement, but it is a Class C misdeameanor. Punishment can range all the way to 500.00 dollars.

Keith7
06-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
My friend got a ticket for the same thing last week....what intersection did you get it at

it was at Bernard and Collins, I was on collins crossing Bernard and he was sitting about a block down the street behind two other cars

LH Panther Mom
06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
My husband has experienced this a couple of times. :rolleyes: You might see if you can take the class.....keeps it off your record. :)

Ranger Mom
06-04-2007, 03:39 PM
lets hope Denton county is more like travis county than jasper county

Too bad I don't still work at the Denton County Municipal Court....I could have ripped it up and thrown it away!!:devil:

Keith7
06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
My husband has experienced this a couple of times. :rolleyes: You might see if you can take the class.....keeps it off your record. :)

I would like to do that but I took that class in january for speeding 6 miles per hour over the speed limit..

I got 2 tickets over a span 5 years while I lived in gainesville.. and I move to denton and have gotten 3 in 9 months (not including UNT parking tickets).. something just isn't right.. I think they are profiling

JasperDog94
06-04-2007, 03:41 PM
.. I think they are profiling lol...only you keith...;)

Keith7
06-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Too bad I don't still work at the Denton County Municipal Court....I could have ripped it up and thrown it away!!:devil:

see if you can get back on up there for a couple of weeks!!

those people up there tick me off, you can't call and talk to a clerk, instead you get a dang recording and the only way you can talk to a clerk is if you have a message number?

mwynn05
06-04-2007, 03:44 PM
it was at Bernard and Collins, I was on collins crossing Bernard and he was sitting about a block down the street behind two other cars he was on bernard too well at highland and bernard

SintonFan_inAustin
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
complete stop is when ur body's motion is stopped. When u stop u feel ur body come back towards the back seat. :) thats what i was told about 3 years ago in Defensive driving on making a complete stop. Its not the car that has to come to a complete stop. :D

Chris Hart
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Not sure if it would still work or not, but it did for me when I was a teenager and got piddly tickets like that. I always appeared plead not guilty and asked for trial by jury. Of course they got dropped, I'm guessing over the expenses of a trial, at least that's what I think it was. Point being it worked for me twice, but that was in small town Burnet...:D

Keith7
06-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
he was on bernard too well at highland and bernard

I know what stop sign you are talking about, those can be tricky, there is one on Bernard street that is almost completely covered by a tree branch and you can only see it when you are about 5 feet from the intersection its ridiculous

Keith7
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Not sure if it would still work or not, but it did for me when I was a teenager and got piddly tickets like that. I always appeared plead not guilty and asked for trial by jury. Of course they got dropped, I'm guessing over the expenses of a trial, at least that's what I think it was. Point being it worked for me twice, but that was in small town Burnet...:D

That sounds like a good idea but knowing my luck they would go ahead and fight the case and bring in Johnnie Cochran to represent the state

Ranger Mom
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I would like to do that but I took that class in january for speeding 6 miles per hour over the speed limit..

I got 2 tickets over a span 5 years while I lived in gainesville.. and I move to denton and have gotten 3 in 9 months (not including UNT parking tickets).. something just isn't right.. I think they are profiling

I know when I worked there, they had a "quota" and they would write you up for everything they could to make that quota each month!!

I remember "Sylvia Benavides" was the one that everyone HATED to get stopped by..... very seldom did she EVER just give one ticket!!

Fotbol
06-04-2007, 03:51 PM
There is no such thing as a Holywood stop, or roll, if you just yield you have done what the law states, Waiting on a car to rock backwards to a completed stop isn't written as such in the state of Texas, Now you can't just roll thur a stop sign going 10-20 mph, but if you decrease your speed enough to even yield, you have broken any laws, Hard to prove without video also, so make sure he didn't video you, and you could win, with that argument alone.

Adidas410s
06-04-2007, 03:54 PM
You can contest it...but when it's your word against his then that makes it much more difficult. A few thoughts though:

1. Check your ticket for accuracy. If anything is wrong...it can be waived.
2. See if the cop listed his location on the ticket as where the incident occured...or where he was located at the time of the incident.
3. Plead not guilty to the ticket. Once your date is assigned to you...go back a few days later and request that the date be changed (ie from a Tuesday to a Wednesday) stating that you have classes/work on Tuesday (or whatever day they give you) and you would like another date for your court appearance. The reason for doing this is that the officer likely sets aside the same day each week for any court appearances he/she might have.
4. With a speeding ticket...there are a lot of other things you can do to get out of it. With this violation you're somewhat limited.

JasperDog94
06-04-2007, 03:54 PM
That sounds like a good idea but knowing my luck they would go ahead and fight the case and bring in Johnnie Cochran to represent the state Not unless they can raise the dead.:eek: :eek:

Keith7
06-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Not unless they can raise the dead.:eek: :eek:

dang I didn't realize he died..

R.I.P. Johnnie...

Ranger Mom
06-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart

ROFL! Back when I worked at the Municipal Court in Denton that worked. I told my boyfriend, at the time, to plead "Not Guilty" and request a jury trial.....they were so backed up that there were boxes and boxes of tickets.

I had no idea that he was charging his frat brothers $75 for his "girlfriend" take care of it.

We broke up and I never thought about it again. I talked to him a couple of years later and he said when they built the new Municipal Court, all the sudden all these people he charged started getting court summons in the mail.

Evidently, Denton County now does jury trials for traffic tickets!!!:D :D

Keith7
06-04-2007, 04:07 PM
my first ticket ever came when I was 16 and it was for rolling thru a stop sign.. the judge knew I didn't have a job and my mom would just half to pay for it if he gave me a fine, so he gave me 20 hours of community service at the Gainesville Zoo.. I feel alot better about my current ticket now hearing it will cost somewhere between 100-175 dollars, because that beats the heck out of raking up goat / zebra poop in 100 degree weather for 20 hours

shankbear
06-04-2007, 04:08 PM
See if they will give you deferred adjudication probation. You will still have to pay court costs and some of the "expense fee" (another name for fine). It will cost but it will keep it off your record. We are on a points system now and they add up.

I was a muni judge for 6 years and I put people on this type probation all the time.

Old Tiger
06-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I know going 81 in a 65 is a 196$ ticket :(

pirate4state
06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
See if they will give you deferred adjudication probation. You will still have to pay court costs and some of the "expense fee" (another name for fine). It will cost but it will keep it off your record. We are on a points system now and they add up.

I was a muni judge for 6 years and I put people on this type probation all the time. :thumbsup: that and keep getting it reset...:D the officer may write so many tickets he won't remember you!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I've never been pulled over or received a ticket. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about it.

Emerson1
06-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I've never been pulled over or received a ticket. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about it.
We all know you never do no wrong.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
We all know you never do no wrong.

In all honesty, I don't want to find out what my dad would do to me if I got a ticket, because he would end up being the one who had to pay for it and he would not be happy about it. Yeah, I screw up, but if I do I want to be the one to pay for it, not my parents.

piratebg
06-04-2007, 07:48 PM
On the average I'd say about $150.

Keith7
06-06-2007, 04:14 PM
it ended up being $220 :eek: :(

luvhoops34
06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
it ended up being $220 :eek: :(

That's outrageous!:(

SintonFan