View Full Version : Sam McGuffie: Your Thoughts

Old Tiger
06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Positives:
Speed

Negatives:
Stiff Hips
Lack of Size
Size(His actual size not the one listed)

IMO Brock Fitzhenry's highlights are more impressive than McGuffies except for that stupid hurdle that people are impressed with which will get him killed on the next level if he tries it. Don't get me wrong on the kid he is a damn good high school runningback but I don't think he will translate to the collegiate level as a runningback. He should make an excellent return man though. I also heard something about a grade and attitude problem.

pirate4state
06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Who the hell is Sam McGuffie??

44INAROW
06-04-2007, 10:13 AM
I quickly glanced at the name and thought it was a thread about McGruff.. aka the cop-dog

Gsquared
06-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Positives:
Speed

Negatives:
Stiff Hips
Lack of Size
Size(His actual size not the one listed)

IMO Brock Fitzhenry's highlights are more impressive than McGuffies except for that stupid hurdle that people are impressed with which will get him killed on the next level if he tries it. Don't get me wrong on the kid he is a damn good high school runningback but I don't think he will translate to the collegiate level as a runningback. He should make an excellent return man though. I also heard something about a grade and attitude problem.
McGuffie is the real deal imo. Ive seen 30 mins worth of higlights of him. I am going to see him on Sat this coming season. Alot of D1's have taken notice. He may lack a little size right now but he has the frame to handle the weight and bulk that a good college program will put on him.

Emerson1
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't see him being anymore than a return man in college. People are to impressed with him hurdling people, something any RB could do if they wanted.

Gsquared
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Most just see the same ol highlights. I think he will turn out to be pretty productive for someone.

Old Tiger
06-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Most just see the same ol highlights. I think he will turn out to be pretty productive for someone. someone like a TCU, Utah, or Boise State. But no top tier program like he wants to go to. He will just be forgotten.

Bull Butter
06-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't see him being anymore than a return man in college. People are to impressed with him hurdling people, something any RB could do if they wanted.

Not every RB has a 41 inch vertical

Old Tiger
06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Not every RB has a 41 inch vertical Hurdling has nothing to do with verticle. It's all about the form! :D

carter08
06-04-2007, 11:42 AM
I was saw him in person. He is a solid back, but did not impress me.

KL3
06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
IMO Brock Fitzhenry's highlights are more impressive than McGuffies[/B]

Tiger WR, no offense, but this might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on these boards. I follow recruiting very closely and have yet to see a longhorn or anybody else for that matter say that Fitzhenry is better than McGuffie. We should just stop this discussion right now.

And another thing, if your wanting a kid with a good attitude, Fitzhenry isn't exactly a model citizen either.

Old Tiger
06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by KL3
Tiger WR, no offense, but this might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on these boards. I follow recruiting very closely and have yet to see a longhorn or anybody else for that matter say that Fitzhenry is better than McGuffie. We should just stop this discussion right now.

And another thing, if your wanting a kid with a good attitude, Fitzhenry isn't exactly a model citizen either. I didn't say he was better than McGuffie. I said Fitz's video is better than McGuffie's but just because he hurdled a few people everyone is in aw of him.

Trust me I know Fitz has a cocky attitude. I've played against him twice.

KL3
06-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Fitzhenry measured in at 5'9" 172 at the longhorn jr. day. This weekend at the Nike camp in Colorado, McGuffie measured in officially at 6'0" 185. Oh, and by the way, he was named the RB MVP at the camp.

And you people doubting McGuffie, Alabama, Florida, Florida St, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, A&M, and many others clearly disagree with you.

KL3
06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I said Fitz's video is better than McGuffie's but just because he hurdled a few people everyone is in aw of him.

No, their highlights are not close either. McGuffie is on a whole other level.

Old Tiger
06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Fitzhenry measured in at 5'9" 172 at the longhorn jr. day. This weekend at the Nike camp in Colorado, McGuffie measured in officially at 6'0" 185. Oh, and by the way, he was named the RB MVP at the camp.

And you people doubting McGuffie, Alabama, Florida, Florida St, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, A&M, and many others clearly disagree with you. Okay, they can, everyone is entitled to an opinion. He is probably best fitted at Notre Dame because they are continually overrated.

Gobbla2001
06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
the highlights of QB's are more impressive at face value...

they have a ton of time to visualize what they are going to do... and if running the option they KNOW what they're going to do... the RB is looking to see what the QB will do on an option, rarely has time to visualize his attack...

RB's just get the ball and go...

carter08
06-04-2007, 12:06 PM
When he plays against a good defense such as Pearland, he is ineffective. In college, the defense's will be even better.

KTA
06-04-2007, 06:01 PM
People are to impressed with him hurdling people

They were with Reggie Bush to, but he turned out alright

Old Tiger
06-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by KTA
They were with Reggie Bush to, but he turned out alright His highlights were no where near as good as Reggie's hell he can't even touch Noel Devine's highlights.

Emerson1
06-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I just watched one video and I don't think I saw him break a single wrap up tackle. Got brought down alot of times right at the goal line. He will be a very good special teams player

JR2004
06-04-2007, 07:06 PM
I saw some of the highlights on McGuffie awhile back. Not overly impressed with him as a RB. I think a few folks that are really high on him, if they're honest, know why he's getting the hype that he is.

He could be an awesome return man though or possibly a slot receiver with his speed. I'd be shocked if he sticks as a tailback in college.

hawkfan
06-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I have to agree with some people on this thread, I have been nothing but impressed with this kid. 3,000 yards and 44 touchdowns as a junior in Texas 5A is saying something. I don't know if he will play running back in college, but I think the coaches will find some way to get him the ball, which by the way WILL be at a top tier D1 football team.

KTA
06-04-2007, 07:17 PM
His highlights were no where near as good as Reggie's hell he can't even touch Noel Devine's highlights.

Hold on I never said he was on the same level as RB or ND, I just commented on his hurdling ability. Come on now those other 2 are on a completly different level....I aint that stupid

Matthew328
06-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Sam McGuffie is gonna make some lucky college a great player...he may not play TB in college....I don't know, but the kid is super, super talented....too many big time programs are after him to be a fluke..he's put up big time numbers against tough 5A competition and his measurables are through the roof....he'll get his shot..who knows his game may not translate to college..but my money says he'll be a productive player..

Bulldog_12
06-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Im on the bandwagon that says He will be awesome. I've seen him a few times and was pretty impressed. He is so incredibly fast that I think you can work with him to improve everywhere else. I would love to add him to the stable here in College Station.

TexanAlum_06
06-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I see him as a Wes Welker type of player. depending on which team he goes to and what type of offense they run. All around utlity guy(slot reciever, KR,PR, RB. etc).

nexfan
06-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I saw him play against Pearland at Rice Stadium in the playoffs last year and you can simply tell he is gifted. His numbers werent as impressive as Pearland's tailback Foswitt Witaker's but then again Witaker signed with Texas! He will definetly go D1 no question. I believe he excells in track and field as well! Another guy that has impressed me over the last couple of years that lacks size is Lamar Consolidated's Jacqiuzz Rodgers. Thats someone who knows how to run the ball! Fast, shifty and can break some tackles! He is the Richmond-Rosenberg's Barry Sanders!

charlesrixey
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Why would USC be fooled if McGuffie wasn't for real?

I think they have some pretty good talent scouts, even if that hurdle over a player made a rediculous difference---at least it got him noticed, which any player would want

i can see it being attempted in the future just to garner recognition

charlesrixey
06-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Hold on I never said he was on the same level as RB or ND, I just commented on his hurdling ability. Come on now those other 2 are on a completly different level....I aint that stupid

it's not like noel devine has done anything at the college level yet anyway, so we won't really know for a while.

Old Tiger
06-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
it's not like noel devine has done anything at the college level yet anyway, so we won't really know for a while. Noel will likely play as a freshmen on one side of Pat White with Steve Slaton on the other side. He is now qualified for West Virginia.

zebrablue2
06-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Sam McGuffie is gonna make some lucky college a great player...he may not play TB in college....I don't know, but the kid is super, super talented....too many big time programs are after him to be a fluke..he's put up big time numbers against tough 5A competition and his measurables are through the roof....he'll get his shot..who knows his game may not translate to college..but my money says he'll be a productive player.. I hope he has a injury free 2007. I agree with all you say, and believe Sam will do just fine.

KTA
06-05-2007, 05:26 PM
it's not like noel devine has done anything at the college level yet anyway, so we won't really know for a while.

BUT what all did he do in high school? He also had a pretty good Army East/West allstar game as well.