PDA

View Full Version : Which is more popular NBA or NHL....

mustang04
06-03-2007, 04:18 PM
i am having an argument with some dud on youtube...he thinks that the NHL is wayyyy more popular and a better sport than the NBA and he says lebron has no class etc. etc.

whats your opinion on the 2 sports???

i personally think the NBA blows the NHL outta the water on popularity, and for some reason i think it's a no-brainer

Matthew328
06-03-2007, 04:20 PM
ask him to check the tv ratings....

ASUFrisbeeStud
06-03-2007, 04:22 PM
NBA by far, don't get me wrong I love hockey but it isn't nearly as popular in the US as the NBA. Canada maybe but not here.

Gobbla2001
06-03-2007, 04:24 PM
:rolleyes:

that dude has gotten high-sticked in the head once too many...

Gobbla2001
06-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Here is the main reason why hockey isn't as popular:

Not everyone's freakin' pond is frozen over half of the year...

Yah, down here in Texas if our lakes and ponds were frozen 50% of the time we'd probably like hockey too...

but hell your own people don't like it, they come down here during the winter to play basketball...

Phantom Stang
06-03-2007, 04:58 PM
If he wants to say hockey is a better sport than basketball, he's entitled to that opinion. To say the NHL is more popular than the NBA, is just plain delusional.

crzyjournalist03
06-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I voted for the NHL with the assumption that the argument that he's making is based on global popularity. Europe, Canada, and Russia are huge on hockey, and not as big on basketball. If we're talking a head count across the globe, I believe hockey wins. If we're talking US, basketball takes it hands down.

JR2004
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
The NBA...Although if the NBA is being compared in popularity to the NHL then that ought to tell you just a bit about how much the NBA has slipped over the last decade.

eagles_victory
06-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Every NBA finals game is on ABC the NHL finals are having games on Vs's any more questions?

Old Tiger
06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
NBA :cheerl:
NHL :dispntd:

SintonFan_inAustin
06-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
NBA :cheerl:
NHL :dispntd: MLB :cheerl: :cheerl: :D

i like all the sports but NHL i didnt realize they started playing again:)

Old Tiger
06-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
MLB :cheerl: :cheerl: :D

i like all the sports but NHL i didnt realize they started playing again:) MLB? What is that Major League of Boring?:D

CalallenWildcat
06-03-2007, 06:09 PM
In the USA - NBA

Worldwide - NHL

Phil C
06-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
In the USA - NBA

Worldwide - NHL

Callalen in the world soccer is more popular than hockey or basketball. In fact it is the most popular sport worldwide even more popular than American Football! :eek:

piratebg
06-03-2007, 06:55 PM
NBA wins hands down.

mustang04
06-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Callalen in the world soccer is more popular than hockey or basketball. In fact it is the most popular sport worldwide even more popular than American Football! :eek:

i think we know that.....but soccer was never brought into the discussion until you brought it, sheeesh phil:D

DU_stud04
06-03-2007, 07:00 PM
sorry to say it, but hockey has a better overall popularity to basketball. now to say nhl has a bigger fan base than nba...... might be a bit out stretched.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-03-2007, 07:00 PM
whoever voted for the NHL can go ahead and move back to canada...:rolleyes:

Phil C
06-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I voted for the NBA even though probably world wide hockey would win. They are both great and wonderful sports though.

mustang04
06-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I voted for the NBA even though probably world wide hockey would win. They are both great and wonderful sports though.

i am talking NBA and NHL...UNITED STATES!!!!!!! quit changing subjects to the 'world' and 'soccer' phil...sheeesh, next thing i know you'll be throwing in womens sports

CalallenWildcat
06-03-2007, 08:23 PM

Oh, definetely, but soccer wasn't a choice.

Old Tiger
06-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
In the USA - NBA

Worldwide - NHL world wide is soccer :D

crzyjournalist03
06-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
i am talking NBA and NHL...UNITED STATES!!!!!!! quit changing subjects to the 'world' and 'soccer' phil...sheeesh, next thing i know you'll be throwing in womens sports

:dispntd: well geez...now you say United States...but it's too late for me to change my vote...:crazy1:

mustang04
06-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
:dispntd: well geez...now you say United States...but it's too late for me to change my vote...:crazy1:

i think that NBA and NHL are only in the united states....

TexasHSFootball
06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
i think that NBA and NHL are only in the united states....
ahem... wrong..

NBA
Toronto Raptors

NHL
Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oiilers
Calgary Flames
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Montreal Canadiens

all Canadian teams :devil:

mustang04
06-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
ahem... wrong..

NBA
Toronto Raptors

NHL
Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oiilers
Calgary Flames
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Montreal Canadiens

all Canadian teams :devil:

canada doesn't count as another country:D they are just a version of america with marijuana legalized

Phil C
06-04-2007, 08:03 AM
i think we know that.....but soccer was never brought into the discussion until you brought it, sheeesh phil:D

Sorry mustang but this happens. Many times I have started a subject that has been completely side tracked. These things happen. :(

crzyjournalist03
06-04-2007, 10:49 AM
canada doesn't count as another country:D they are just a version of america with marijuana legalized

even if you take this approach, I still say that the NHL is more popular globally than the NBA.

Gobbla2001
06-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
even if you take this approach, I still say that the NHL is more popular globally than the NBA.

I seriously doubt it... there are so many more foreign players playing in the NBA than in the NHL, always has been... it seems almost every year in the finals there is a foreign player whose home country is broadcasting the finals because their player is in it... having one of their own guys making noise in the NBA helps a country pay closer attention to the NBA making the NBA gain more popularity...

Gobbla2001
06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Take China for example... very populated... you think they're paying attention to the NHL or the NBA during the season? My guess is the NBA because of that 9 footer playing for the Rockets...

How about Europe? every year we're getting players in from Europe and they're making huge impacts... you think the country just forgets about 'em? No, they tune into the NBA and watch them there...

Gobbla2001
06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Look at Mexico and South America... they'd much rather be worrying about futbol, but everyone of 'em knows who Michael Jordan is, but probably haven't a clue who Gretskey (sp?) is...

#1 reason: MJ has a shoe... he is known world-wide... MJ means the NBA to the world...

I know an illegal at work who drives a 95 camaro with MJ crap all over it... wears an MJ necklace and wears Jordan's...

BullFrog Dad
06-04-2007, 11:41 AM
NBA is more popular than the NHL at this time for one reason: The 2004-05 NHL lockout. Before that the NHL's popularity was growing by leaps and bounds along with NASCAR while the NBA's was going downhill because of the gansta' thing. Without that lockout the poll would be going the other way.