PDA

View Full Version : College Softball World Series Umpires

Antec
06-03-2007, 01:09 PM
It appears that these umpires have attitude problems and think they are perfect

Looks like they are putting on a show for TV audience by showing their authority

Have missed calls and some are inconsistent

Baylor coach got ejected yesterday for hardly complaining of a call

maestro
06-03-2007, 06:06 PM
reminds me of the embarassing espn camera angles during the college baseball world series......over head cam behind home plate...

showed that the umpires really did give 1-2 inches on both sides of the plate......

:)

Phil C
06-03-2007, 06:55 PM
The thing is these are supposed to be their better umpires. Scary isn't it?

18handicap
06-04-2007, 08:11 AM
I was at the WCWS all since Thursday and came back last night. While overall the umpiring was ok at best, the times in which there were some questionable calls were so blatant, that it turned the situations into jokes. I didn't see Glenn Moore do any more than Mike Candrea (Arizona) did on Thursday night and he didn't get thrown out. There was one woman umpire who had a power trip in my mind, she was involved in almost every discussion, or she made herself part of every discussion.

Funniest part about Coach Moore -- they let him stay on the outfield fence the rest of the game. They didn't make him leave the area as what would normally happen.

Another time, one umpire was going to call balls for too many warmup pitches, but they were still waiting for ESPN to come back from a 2 minute commercial break and the 3rd base umpire allowed for the extra pitches while the 1st base umpire was trying to call balls.

The most inconsistent part of the umpiring was the calling of the pitcher delay of game. Seems like they called it whenever they felt like it. In TAMU's first game, they called the delay on Abbott twice in the first inning. The second time was with the bases loaded when Amanda Scarborough was batting on the first pitch. I was counting the time and while it was over 15 seconds, Abbott took over 20 seconds on a 3-1 count on Megan Gibson. If he would have called it then, a run would have scored and the bases would have still been loaded with no outs for Amanda. The woman umpire did call it on a 3-1 count and bases loaded when Washington was up 7-0 on Northwestern just to add insult to injury.

Also, I had a great view of Abbott from the 3rd base side when they played Arizona. She steps completely off of the rubber before she starts her push toward the batter. With her feet, that's an extra foot or more closer to home before she starts her push -- called "walking the box". Never called. Not one illegal pitch. I'm going to show pictures if that is called on us -- "Hey, the Olympic pitcher does it. Our kids want to play in the Olympics", right? LOL, I don't have time to bring a picture. (Reminds me when the blues called the illegal pitch over and over in the state tournament a couple of years ago, but the program had a picture of a pitcher who was completely in the air on the front cover.)

Phil C
06-04-2007, 08:21 AM
18 I agree that on the whole umpires are good but the main thing I look for is consistency and it looks like there was inconsistency and preferential treatment at the world series which from your description seems to indicate that this happened which is a shame with all the hard work that the coaches and players do on the team.

UPanIN
06-04-2007, 09:53 AM
I thought it was just me wondering about these Umpires. They appear to want more than some of the spot light.

I give them a :foul: for their job.

Old Tiger
06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Candrea could kill someone on the softball field and get away with it :D:D

Phil C
06-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by UPanIN
I thought it was just me wondering about these Umpires. They appear to want more than some of the spot light.

I give them a :foul: for their job.

The thing is that some officials not only softball umpires don't realize that people pay good money and go through expenses to come to this game and they expect fair impartial officials to do the best they can and be consistent and fair.
I remember in the NFL they had an official that when it was first down the fans loved the way he would yell "Firrrrrrrrrrst down."
But he was a great respected official that gave his best and was fair and impartial to both sides. He has retired and he is the type that is missed.

18handicap
06-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Hey! Here's another good one.......

Friday's games start over 2 hours late because of thunderstorms. We park at the Remington Park racetrack and the shuttle buses don't run because of the weather. So we go inside the track to wait it out. Find out they are starting at 8:10 and it's 8:15. So we rush and catch the shuttle bus. Get to the gate and they say it is sold out. Wait -- 300 reserved, obstructed view seats are available. The word is RESERVED ($15 instead of $10). Waited in line for right at one hour. Get to our seats and have to move a group of people that are in our seats and didn't want to move. Ended up with a very good view of the game.

So between games, I rush out to get Saturday's tickets early. Now they are selling the GA $10 tickets for the 2nd Friday game. I was ticked off.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
My favorite team of the WCWS? Arizona...Man, they had so many good looking girls on that team, it wasn't even funny.

18handicap
06-04-2007, 02:02 PM
And another good one......

During Saturday's A&M / Baylor game, I was sitting in the TAMU fan area designated by the NCAA. When A&M started to rally in the 5th, all of the A&M fans stood and cheered. I stood with them since everyone in front of me stood -- I was way cool with that. All of a sudden a bunch of ushers came and told everyone to sit down that the people at the top (1st base side) couldn't see. The A&M fans didn't sit -- the ushers threatened to get the police to make everyone sit down. I told the guy that he must have never been to a college game before. That almost got me in trouble. Turns out the seats above are for the OKC people who have no allegiance to any team. This was a college event -- and the host city wants to tone down the support.

Maybe it is time to move the WCWS out of OKC. They didn't go out of their way to make it pleasurable. (Oh yeah, just 3 buses to shuttle almost 5000 fans to the parking lot, or pay $15 per session to park close.)

Their famous downtown attraction -- Bricktown -- maybe Brickdud. Went to eat after the last game on Thursday at about 11:00 -- everything was CLOSED --

Phil C
06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Maybe it is time to move it somewhere else. Sometimes hosts take things for granted after a few years.

18handicap
06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
This was the 3rd time that I went and it might be the last time I go. I really enjoyed the 1st two times, and I enjoyed the games this time, but the rest.....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
This was the 3rd time that I went and it might be the last time I go. I really enjoyed the 1st two times, and I enjoyed the games this time, but the rest.....

I enjoyed them too, from the comfort of my own home.

BTEXDAD
06-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
My favorite team of the WCWS? Arizona...Man, they had so many good looking girls on that team, it wasn't even funny.

But what were their batting averages, BBDE?

LH Panther Mom
06-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD

In my best BBDE voice....."Ohhhhh, they had bats????? :confused: "

:D (Sorry Gary..... :kiss: )

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD

I actually paid attention to the game and the players, but never enough to give you their statistics right off the top of my head. I can tell you that their centerfielder Kaitlin Lowe can get on base and is lightining fast, and their catcher Callista Balko had a lot of power, so contrary to what you think I wasn't just sitting there watching and drooling the entire time, just part of the time. :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
In my best BBDE voice....."Ohhhhh, they had bats????? :confused: "

:D (Sorry Gary..... :kiss: )

:(

You're always picking on me...

BTEXDAD
06-05-2007, 08:40 AM
I actually paid attention to the game and the players, .............., so contrary to what you think I wasn't just sitting there watching and drooling the entire time, just part of the time. :D

Excellent. LOL.

IMO Arz has better all around team than TN, but TN pitcher, Monica Abbott is big equalizer.

If I was 25 yrs younger I'd be looking at players more, but Nancy Evans, the arizona pitching coach, who's a little older, is cute also.

LH Panther Mom
06-05-2007, 08:41 AM

You're always picking on me...

And your point is....?????? :p :kiss: