PDA

View Full Version : Bob L. Head to get a bobblehead

kepdawg
06-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Beavers fans can vote for favorite Bob L. Head
Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Bob L. Head wants your vote.

Robert Leroy Head of Maquoketa, Iowa, was selected as one of three finalists for a Portland Beavers' promotion that will immortalize a real Bob L. Head with a bobblehead.

"I never put it together until they sent me this letter," Head said. "My wife and I thought it was a joke."

The Beavers, the Triple-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres, sent letters to every Bob L. Head they could find, including Roberts and Robertos, and Mauoketa's own.

The team explained its promotion, then asked the Bobs to submit an essay explaining why they should be cast as a miniature, head-bobbing figurine.

On the line was a trip to Portland, and of course, a personal bobblehead.

The team narrowed the list down to three, and now fans can vote for their favorite Bob L. Head: The aforementioned Robert Leroy Head of Iowa, Bob Louis Head from Vallejo, Calif., and Bob Lee Head of Evansville, Ind.

Bob Louis Head's campaign slogan: "No matter what the score, I am always a Head."

The team will give away the bobbleheads to the first 2,000 fans who attend the Beavers' game against the Las Vegas 51s on Aug. 18.

Maquoketa's Bob, 68, lobbied for the honor in his letter back to the team.

"I said I grew up as a country boy. I pitched hay and manure, so I thought I could pitch a baseball, too," he said.

Minor league baseball has perfected the art of wacky promotions to attract fans, and bobbleheads are always popular.

The Nashua Pride in 2004 gave away Richard Nixon bobbleheads to mark the 32nd anniversary of Watergate. The Lowell Spinners once offered fans a bobblehead of Beat Generation author Jack Kerouac, a Lowell native.

Fan voting for the best Bob L. Head opened Wednesday on the Beavers' Web site, www.portlandbeavers.com. It closes on May 31 and fans can only vote once.

An hour after the three finalists were announced, already 230 fans had cast their vote, said Chris Metz, communications director for the Beavers. The runners-up will receive consolation prizes for their effort.

"They've all be great sports," Metz said.

big daddy russ
06-01-2007, 01:26 PM
That's hilarious. One of the best promotions I've ever heard of.