PDA

View Full Version : South Texas updates

Bull Butter
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Harlingen South 7
CC Carroll 1

The Tigers may have met their match. The Hawks are the real deal and might be the first RGV team to make it to the state tourney since Mercedes in '86

CC Moody 6
Uvalde 1

Moody magic keeps on rolling. The UIL trophy engravers better learn how to spell M-O-O-D-Y

Sinton 3
Falfurrias 2

I figured the Jerseys would take this series in 3 games, but the Pirates are peaking at just the right time. Welcome back to Austin(Round Rock), Coach K!:)

Fal44
06-01-2007, 12:11 AM
lets bring some hardware home for south texas...

texansfan
06-01-2007, 12:40 PM
great job, Hawks! Halfway there...let's win it at Cabaniss

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Go Hawks!

SintonFan_inAustin
06-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Carroll has made a habit of winning the 2nd and 3rd games but i think it doesnt happen again and go down in 2 games. If they somehow pull if off that will be a shocker!

Bull Butter
06-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Game 2

Harlingen South 7
CC Carroll 2 (Final)

Congrats to the Harlingen South Hawks!!! First RGV team to advance to State in 21 years!:clap: :clap: :clap:

piratebg
06-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Moody beats Uvalde in game 2, 3-0, to advance to the state tournament. :)

Bull Butter
06-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Moody Magic rolls on

Ray_BearKat
06-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Thursday June 7
Midland Lee at Harlingen South
Dell Diamond (Round Rock, Texas) 1:00 pm

Good Luck to the Hawks!!

Bull Butter
06-03-2007, 02:04 AM
Go Hawks!
Go Trojans!
Go Pirates!

Phil C
06-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Go Hawks!
Go Trojans!
Go Pirates!

I agree!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

SintonFan_inAustin
06-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Staying the course
Moody, Sinton intend be themselves at state
By Javier Becerra (Contact)
Originally published 01:00 a.m., June 4, 2007
Updated 03:47 a.m., June 4, 2007

The Moody baseball team's first season in Class 4A is going to end at the University Interscholastic League state baseball championships.

How the Trojans finish is up to them.

Moody (37-3) faces Canyon Randall (31-10) at 7 p.m. in the second of two semifinals Friday at The Dell Diamond in Round Rock. Sinton (29-5-1), meanwhile, takes on defending 3A state champion Texarkana Liberty-Eylau (30-5) at 4 p.m. on Wednesday.

Both the Trojans and Pirates enter the tournament with the same strategy.

"We're just going to concentrate on ourselves -- our team, our strengths" said Moody coach Corky Gallegos, whose team swept Uvalde 6-1 and 3-0 to win the Region IV-4A title. "We don't focus on anyone else, just on what we can do."

The same goes for Sinton.

"Ultimately baseball is baseball, so we just have to do what we've been doing," longtime coach Gene Kasprzyk said. "We're more concerned with what we do than what our opponents can do. We need to continue to do the things we've done all year and lift our game a little more this week in practice."

Friday's first 4A semifinal features Mesquite Poteet (33-4) and Texas City (26-11), who along with Randall have combined for only four appearances at the state tournament. Poteet and Randall are going for the first time, while Texas City last made it in 1954.

Randall captured the 3-4A champion and went on to sweep El Paso Ysleta, Wolfforth Frenship and North Richland Hills Birdville before doing the same to Lubbock Estacado. The Raiders are in the final four for the first time, but aren't the only ones.

Poteet is in the state tournament for the first time after winning the 10-4A title. The Pirates advanced by beating Kilgore, McKinney Corsicana and then Dallas Highland Park.

Texas City returns after a 53-year absence, a run that started when the Stingarees won the 23-4A championship. One-game playoff victories over Huffman Hargrave and New Caney preceded series triumphs over Austin McAllen and Montgomery.

Moody has been to the final four nine previous time, including last year, which ended with a loss in the semifinals. Gallegos can only hope that familiarity helps the team to a second state championship.

"I would like to think so," said Gallegos, who led the Trojans to the 5A title in 2004. "I'm glad we have that experience."

Abilene Wylie (33-3-1) and Jasper (32-7) meet up in Wednesday's second 3A semifinal. Like Liberty-Eylau, Wylie is making its second straight trip to Round Rock, while Jasper is back for the first time since 1985.

The District 16-3A champion, Liberty-Eylau opened the playoffs by beating Crandall in the area round. The Leopards then swept Athens in the regional quarterfinals and Commerce in the regional semifinals.

Liberty-Eylau earned the chance to defend its state title by knocking off Celina to win the Region II crown.

Wylie, which lost to Falfurrias 5-2 in last year's semifinals, won the 7-3A championship and needed three games to get by area opponent Iowa Park. The Bulldogs then eliminated Canyon and Andrew before besting Lubbock Cooper for the Region I title.

Jasper, the 21-3A champion, took out La Grange in the area round and then Bellville and Lufkin Hudson to set up a series against Bridge City for the Region III title. The Bulldogs prevailed in three games to qualify for the state tournament for the first time in 22 years.

Sinton is headed to state for the seventh time and first since losing in the 2003 championship. Having combined with their fellow semifinalists for a combined 20 trips to the tournament, the Pirates know the task is formidable.

"You would expect to run into some good programs," Kasprzyk said. "There's a lot of tradition and experience at this level. There are going to be some experienced players there, but you never know how young kids are going to react. Still, you're going to see good teams playing solid baseball."

Kasprzyk also expects the Pirates to have plenty of motivation.

"They know they have a challenge ahead of them," he said. "I think we have the advantage by playing the defending champs. It gives us the impetus to be really be focused."

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or becerrajcaller.com

luvhoops34
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

Sinton 3
Falfurrias 2

I figured the Jerseys would take this series in 3 games, but the Pirates are peaking at just the right time. Welcome back to Austin(Round Rock), Coach K!:)

Coach K is an ol' Falls City boy done good!