PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum

AAA87
05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Just saw on the victoria advocate that Yoakum has come open....what will happen now for the Dogs....

44INAROW
05-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Will be interesting for sure.. hhmm lots of local "boys" in the coaching field - wonder if any of them will put their name in the hat? Nice facilities over in Bulldog land!

RiverRat19
05-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Didn't the position come open round the same time last year when Coach Crow left? Whenever I have gone through Yoakum or any town in the area, I thought it would be a nice area to live in. I'd imagine that winning there wouldn't be too tough.

44INAROW
05-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Here's the little article.

Tommy Psencik is resigning as Yoakum's athletic director and head football coach after one season.

Psencik coached at Yoakum for 14 seasons and was the defensive coordinator for 10 seasons. Psencik left Yoakum after the 2005 season to become an assistant coach at Cuero but returned just over a month later when he was selected to replace Jessie Crow as the athletic director and head football coach. “It’s a career move necessary for my family and me,” Psencik said, “I wanted to be able to coach. It was a great experience here. I learned a lot. This is a great community to work in.”

44INAROW
06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
full article........ I am kinda confused - he says he "just wants to coach" so is he most likely saying he doesn't wanna be an AD - just be a coach?

Psencik steps down at Yoakum
June 01, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER
Tommy Psencik spent Thursday morning at the Yoakum field house ordering equipment for the upcoming football season. The players using the equipment will be coached by someone other than Psencik.

Psencik resigned as Yoakum's athletic director and head football coach on Thursday after one season in the position.

"It's a career move necessary for my family and me," Psencik said. "I wanted to be able to coach. I had a great experience here and I learned a lot. Yoakum is a great community to work in."

Psencik has been coaching at Yoakum for 14 seasons, including 10 as the defensive coordinator. He previously coached at East Bernard and Laredo Martin and was a graduate assistant coach for two seasons at Southwest Texas State in San Marcos.

Psencik left Yoakum after the 2005-06 school year to become an assistant coach at Cuero. But Psencik returned to Yoakum just over a month later when he was hired to replace Jessie Crow, who resigned to become the athletic director for the Brazosport school district.

Yoakum's football team had a 5-6 record last season. The Bulldogs finished third in District 29-3A with a 2-2 record and lost 42-14 to Orange Grove in the Division II bi-district playoffs. Yoakum also advanced to the playoffs in boys basketball, softball and baseball and the boys golf team qualified for the regional tournament and the girls golf team finished third at the state tournament.

"I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it tremendously," Psencik said of experience as an athletic director. "But it's no secret that I'd rather be coaching. I love coaching. That's where I'm comfortable is coaching."

Tom Kelley, superintendent of the Yoakum school district, said the search for Psencik's replacement would begin immediately. Kelley wants to have a new athletic director and head football coach in place no later than July 9, the date of the next regularly scheduled board of trustees meeting.

"Tommy did a great job for us," Kelley said. "We're really happy with everything he did for us. We're sorry to see him go but we want what's best for him."

Psencik said he would continue to reside in Yoakum and is looking at other coaching positions in the area.

"I'm not going anywhere," Psencik said. "I'll be here and available to the administration as long as they need me."

District303aPastPlayer
06-01-2007, 10:42 AM
he just wants to coach... so is that not something he can do in yoakum? are hte people there making it to where he cant?

44INAROW
06-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
he just wants to coach... so is that not something he can do in yoakum? are hte people there making it to where he cant?

Not sure what the deal is. Will be interesting to see how this pans out - ie - who gets to be the Head Bulldog and where Coach P ends up.

bd62
06-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Yoakum has good talent in next years soph. class but jr. and sr. classes are not very strong. After next year i feel they will have about 4 yrs. of talent similiar to there teams several yrs. ago. It will be a good situation for whoever comes in. Not sure what Tommy's plans are but he would be a great asset where ever he goes.