PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod in the media for ON the field antics

Adidas410s
05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/05/arod.jpg

In a gambit we haven't seen since high school -- and haven't seen work since Little League -- a baserunner confused a fielder by yelling "Mine!", causing the fielder to back away and miss a popup. Ah, the ideas you pick up in Toronto strip clubs. It was our own Alex Rodriguez who, while rounding third in the ninth, yelled at Blue Jays' third baseman Howie Clark, causing Clark to miss the ball and thus open the door for a 10-5 Yankees win. All kinds of delicious quotes after this one. "I just said, 'Hah!' That's it,'' Rodriguez said. "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.'' ... "Maybe I'm naive but I thought it was a bush-league play," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "One thing you know about the Yankees, one of the reasons they're so respected, they do things right. They always have. They've got a lot of pride and a lot of class, they play the game hard, they play the game right and that's not Yankee pride right there. That's not the way they play." Yes, he's right: The victory must have been a giveaway. "I heard a `Mine' call and so I let it go," said Clark, who was just up from the minors. "Once it fell I saw that it wasn't Johnny Mac and then I realized what had happened. It makes you mad." Tyler Clippard got the win and Robinson Cano went 4-for-4.

Maroon87
05-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Well at least he wasn't slapping the ball out of someone's glove this time...:p

Phil C
05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Sad times that the once Mighty Yankees have to resort to such tactics to win a game. Oh for the days of Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth. :(

Emerson1
05-31-2007, 12:28 PM
That's pretty funny

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-31-2007, 12:35 PM
I think that's hilarious. Last night at the Rec, neck_06 and I were playing and I yelled ball at one of the guys from the other team and he threw it right to me. I think it's awesome when stuff like that happens.

pirate4state
05-31-2007, 12:46 PM
OMG I can't believe I agree with Kyle. That is some funny stuff right there!!! Made the poor "kid" that just moved up look a little silly and that's why he is really pissed.

crzyjournalist03
05-31-2007, 01:23 PM
seriously...you deal with it on every play in little league...so once you're in the pros, you're "too good" for that kind of stuff? This is the first time I've been proud of A-rod since 2001.

Rabbit'93
05-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Bush League:rolleyes:

JasperDog94
05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Bush League:rolleyes: That's exactly what I was going to say.

smustangs
05-31-2007, 01:33 PM
i think its great if ur in the pros you shouldlnt let something like that bother you i have problem w/ arod yelling

JR2004
05-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Arod just gained a fan for that one! I couldn't quit laughing when I read all the responses from the Blue Jays players and their manager about how bush league it was. They evoked Yankee Pride and other such nonsense as to why what he did was so grievous. It was good comedy in my opinion.

crzyjournalist03
05-31-2007, 01:36 PM
I've always been an A-rod hater, but seriously, what's so cheap about this? I never understand why pro players deserve preferential treatment. These are the types of things that kids across the country deal with every day, and none of them complain if they fall for it. There's a thing called voice recognition. If you know the players on your team, you recognize the ones who are yelling. I can't tell you how many times when I played baseball that I'd hear runners yelling and telling me where to throw the ball if my back was turned. Sorry that this kid was just brought up to the big leagues, but I think there are far worse initiations he could receive.

smustangs
05-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I've always been an A-rod hater, but seriously, what's so cheap about this? I never understand why pro players deserve preferential treatment. These are the types of things that kids across the country deal with every day, and none of them complain if they fall for it. There's a thing called voice recognition. If you know the players on your team, you recognize the ones who are yelling. I can't tell you how many times when I played baseball that I'd hear runners yelling and telling me where to throw the ball if my back was turned. Sorry that this kid was just brought up to the big leagues, but I think there are far worse initiations he could receive.

exactly if a 13 year old little leaguer can deal w/ it i would think a man getting to paid to play cuz hes supposidly that good could deal w/ it as well

rangerjim
05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Isn't that what A-Rod yelled the night before in the strip club? I heard he yelled "mine" when another guy was trying to pick up the blond and the guy backed off. IN BOTH CASES I BELIEVE A-ROD SCORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smustangs
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
Isn't that what A-Rod yelled the night before in the strip club? I heard he yelled "mine" when another guy was trying to pick up the blond and the guy backed off. IN BOTH CASES I BELIEVE A-ROD SCORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha :clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
05-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/05/arod.jpg

"Daddy! He tricked me!!!" :weeping: :bigcry: :weeping: :bigcry:

rangerjim
05-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Pirate4 state:

To add to your caption (don't know how to post a picture) from the night before in Toronto

HONEY - SHE TRICKED ME...............

pirate4state
05-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
Pirate4 state:

To add to your caption (don't know how to post a picture) from the night before in Toronto

HONEY - SHE TRICKED ME...............

HAHAHAHA :D:D:D

TexasHSFootball
05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
one of the unwritten rules of baseball... the Blue Jays can cry for all I care.. and as much as I hate the Yankees, I hope A Rod continues to hit homeruns... I would much rather see A Rod have the HR record than Barry "Bail" Bonds.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-31-2007, 11:38 PM
I think it's funny and if you are in the big leagues you gotta play ball. If you can catch a pop up with thousands of fans yelling or shoot a free throw all the people behind the goal waving stuff than this kinda thing shouldn't throw you off too much.

I can tell you we used the ploy in an intramural slowpitch softball game this year and it worked, unfortunatly it was an infield fly anyways so it was an automatic out.