PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever installed or had Wood Laminate flooring installed?

kaorder1999
05-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Tell me the Do's and Donts!!

jason
05-31-2007, 07:22 AM
my parents put pergo in their kitchen about 10 years ago...still looks pretty good and was easy to install (if i remember correctly haha)

Tiger Turtle
05-31-2007, 07:49 AM
My wife and her sister put laminate flooring in both our houses last summer. Together, they put down a bit over 1,600 square feet of the stuff. I was peripherally involved, showing them how to use a contour gauge and an undercut saw to go around door frames and such. I also did all the baseboards and trim.
DO's - get a power miter saw with a good carbide blade because the laminate dulls regular blades very quickly. Also, buy the heaviest laminate you can find that fits your decor and use the thickest underlaymant you can find. All this contributes to the ultimate level of noise generated by walking on the floor. The noise settles dwon after a couple of weeks so don't get too upset about it right at first. Buy the installation tools sold with the floor (pull bar, drive blocks, etc) and a package of spacers for starting against the walls. Keep an eye on the joints as you work as they tend to separate slightly overnight and when you walk on the uncompleted floor. Buy a tube of filler in a matching color. You will need it.
DON'Ts - Don't overbuy on the laminate initially. The manufacturers don't like to take the stuff back, especially if it is on sale. Don't buy the prefinished matching trim unless you really like how it looks against your walls. Don't get in too much of a hurry. You will find that about 200 - 250 square feet a day is about right, unless it is just plain straight square runs.

Johnnypaycheck
05-31-2007, 10:09 AM
you will need patience, a good mitre (sp?) saw, all the tools that you buy with it, and LOTS OF PATIENCE...did i say that already?

it is definately a very do-able job. just very tedious. i have it installed everywhere in the house except the three bedrooms. love it

kaorder1999
05-31-2007, 06:02 PM
we have decided that we will pay to have it installed.....