PDA

View Full Version : Why schedule a game you know you can't play in?

kepdawg
05-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Hoover (Ala.) High's planned Sunday game denied by state
HOOVER, Ala. (AP) — The Alabama High School Athletic Association, citing a ban on Sunday games, has put in jeopardy plans by Hoover High to play an Ohio prep football power on ESPN2.

The AHSAA Central Board of Control voted unanimously Wednesday in denying Hoover's request to play Colerain High in a Sept. 2 game at Nippert Stadium on the campus of the University of Cincinnati. The Labor Day Weekend matchup was to be aired live on ESPN2 at 12:37 p.m. as part of the third annual Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge.

"Sunday is a day of worship," AHSAA executive director Dan Washburn said when citing the reason for denying Hoover's application to play an out-of-state opponent.

Hoover, which had won four straight state Class 6A football championships before losing in the finals last season, is familiar with national television exposure. It was featured on MTV's reality show Two-A-Days.

Washburn said there's no specific written rule that prohibits games from being played on a Sunday, but it's a policy established through practice.

He said a game could be played on Sunday only under emergency circumstances. Washburn cited Sunday's game three of the Class 6A semifinal baseball series between Shades Valley and Hillcrest of Tuscaloosa as an example. Bad weather forced suspension of play Friday, and the two teams played a doubleheader Saturday.

Hoover coach Rush Propst told The Birmingham News in a story Monday that it's uncertain if the game can be moved to a Friday or Saturday or if ESPN2 would be able to air it on a different date. He said any change would create logistical problems for fans and would be a big financial loss without TV revenue.

He said the ruling was unfair and that the lack of a solid rule prohibiting Sunday play bothered him.

"It looks to me, it's an anti-Hoover move," Propst said.

Washburn said that comment was "way out of line" and not worthy of response.

Adidas410s
05-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
"It looks to me, it's an anti-Hoover move," Propst said.

Washburn said that comment was "way out of line" and not worthy of response.

drama, drama, drama :eek: :eek: :eek:

c-town_balla
05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
If that happend to say Southlake would we all called it anti-southlake?

I dont think we would........that guy is just crazy

Emerson1
05-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Why can't they play on Thursday or Friday? It's not like ESPN2 has anything better to show.

kepdawg
05-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Why can't they play on Thursday or Friday? It's not like ESPN2 has anything better to show.

Probably a poker tournament or strong man competition to be shown!

wedo
05-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
If that happend to say Southlake would we all called it anti-southlake?

I dont think we would........that guy is just crazy

Southlake would kick hoover A** anywayz! Heck I would even take the La Marque team from last year to beat hoover. They are way overrated and IMO shouldn't get all that T.V. exposure anywayz.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Southlake would kick hoover A** anywayz! Heck I would even take the La Marque team from last year to beat hoover. They are way overrated and IMO shouldn't get all that T.V. exposure anywayz.

I agree with you there.