PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Morning News: Dirk for Kobe

Emerson1
05-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Dump Dirk? For Kobe, Mavs should

10:02 PM CDT on Monday, May 28, 2007

It doesn't matter whether Mark Cuban or Donnie Nelson makes the phone call, but one of them needs to contact Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak today and find out what it takes to get Kobe Bryant.

If the answer is Dirk Nowitzki, then so be it.

Straight up. No frills. A simple blockbuster.

One first-team All-NBA star in his prime for another.

Bryant has been dropping subtle hints for a week that he wants out of Los Angeles. Superstars have been dealt before.

Wilt Chamberlain was traded. So was Oscar Robertson. And Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Don't forget to add Shaquille O'Neal to the list.

So don't act like it's blasphemous to consider trading Nowitzki, the league's MVP. Or have you forgotten Philadelphia dealt former MVP Allen Iverson this season.
If you think it's laughable to move Dirk Nowitzki (foreground) for Kobe Bryant, think again.
VERNON BRYANT / DMN
If you think it's laughable to move Dirk Nowitzki (foreground) for Kobe Bryant, think again.

No one said it would be an easy decision. Or a popular decision. Or that Cuban even has the courage to trade his favorite player.

But it must be considered.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to Nowitzki's performance in the Mavericks' shocking first-round playoff loss. This is about positioning the Mavericks to win a championship by acquiring a player who embraces pressure and plays best in big games.

Besides, I've already made the trade on a Web site that analyzes the feasibility of trades to make sure there wasn't any problem with the salaries.

There isn't.

Kobe is scheduled to earn a little more than $17 million this season, while Nowitzki is supposed to get about $15 million. According to this Web site, the deal is fine. Just to make sure, I proposed a deal of DeSagana Diop, Greg Buckner and Jason Terry for Bryant and the computer GM promptly rejected it.

Over the holiday weekend, an ESPN report quoted Bryant as saying he would consider waiving his no-trade clause unless the Lakers re-hired Jerry West and gave him full control of the organization.

As you would expect, he's denying the story.

Too late.

Bryant is mad at the only franchise he's ever played for because they haven't gotten him enough help to make the Lakers a legitimate contender.

And nothing is going to change this off-season because Lamar Odom's shoulder injury means he has little trade value. Neither does Kwame Brown, the only other player on the roster worth more than a Wal-Mart gift card, though his contract expires at the end of next season.

It's Bryant's fault he's in this predicament because he's the one who chased off O'Neal, so he could be the focal point of the team. Now that it's not working out, he wants to wear a new uniform next season if he doesn't get what he wants.

We all know Cuban has a soft spot for Nowitzki because of the 7-footer's work ethic, talent and ability to lead the Mavericks from the abyss of the '90s. Nowitzki is the most decorated player in franchise history, with a low-maintenance personality to match.

Those are just some of the reasons Cuban was so emotional at the news conference to announce that Nowitzki had been named MVP. But he also loves the Mavericks and he'll be doing his club a disservice if he doesn't explore every avenue to make it a better basketball team.

You can't convince me adding Bryant doesn't improve the Mavericks. I'll worry about who's playing power forward later.

It's not that Nowitzki isn't a great player. Winning the MVP proves that just in case you weren't impressed that he averaged 24.6 points and 8.9 rebounds for a team that won 67 games.

But we all know he doesn't always embrace the moment and deliver in the Mavericks' most important games. We all know he has a reputation for being soft, perhaps because he didn't learn the game on inner-city black tops, where you call your own fouls, or spend a summer playing at Rucker Park in New York.

He's had huge games in the playoffs before – 37 in Game 7 against San Antonio in 2006 comes to mind as does a 50-point performance against Phoenix – but pro sports is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business.

Miami's Dwyane Wade outplayed him in the final four games of the 2006 NBA Finals as the Heat rallied from a 2-0 deficit to win the championship. And Nowitzki was tentative and ineffective against Golden State as Dallas became the first No.1 seed to lose a best-of-7 series against a No.8 seed.

Bryant has never won an MVP trophy, but he understands how to impose his will on a game. He demands the ball in clutch situations and consistently attacks the bucket.

He is the NBA's best player.

Others like Nowitzki and Wade are part of the discussion, but we all know Bryant is the NBA's most feared player.

He wouldn't go 2-for-13, score eight points and passively hang around the perimeter in the most important game of the season. Bryant's confidence never wanes.

Nowitzki, the best European player ever, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame one day. But he lacks the arrogance to lead the Mavericks to a championship.

Bryant does not.

District303aPastPlayer
05-29-2007, 11:32 AM
let it be known that I have been lobbying to my Mavs fan friends that Dirk needs to be gone...

Adidas410s
05-29-2007, 11:34 AM
This same theory went out on Mike and Mike this morning...

charlesrixey
05-29-2007, 11:35 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sadly

Emerson1
05-29-2007, 11:37 AM
They just need to find a way to get Kobe without trading Dirk

Phil C
05-29-2007, 11:42 AM
RIDICULOUS!

:mad:

District303aPastPlayer
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
RIDICULOUS!

:mad:

not really...

Phil C
05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
There is no way Kobe would be willing to leave Los Angeles. Remember we are talking about Los Angeles. Close to the Pacific Ocean! Hollywood! Glamour! Hello!

Emerson1
05-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
There is no way Kobe would be willing to leave Los Angeles. Remember we are talking about Los Angeles. Close to the Pacific Ocean! Hollywood! Glamour! Hello!
Uhm, he always already said he wanted out if Jerry West didn't come to LA

BTEXDAD
05-29-2007, 02:37 PM
On the Mark: The Kobe Rules
Mark Kriegel / FOXSports.com
Posted: 29 minutes ago

Three years ago, after trading the greatest center since Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak defended his remaining superstar. "The accusation that Kobe broke up this team is not true," said Kupchak.

With that in mind, I now find myself waiting for Kupchak to dispel any suggestion that Kobe is campaigning for his exile so Jerry West can come back.
After all, the current general manager labors under a construct that might be called The Kobe Rules. To be a Laker is to know that Kobe gets what Kobe wants. The state of the franchise is in large measure a result of his desire for a team to call his very own.

The Kobe Rules
It's another off-season, and Kobe is complaining again. Now he wants a new GM, even though the current one has been all-too-willing to concede to every one of Bryant's demands. What should the Lakers do?

Some recent history: In 2004, following a 5-game loss to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, the Lakers traded Shaquille O'Neal. With that series in evidence, it seemed an odd choice. O'Neal had averaged 26.6 points on 63 percent shooting and almost 11 rebounds a game. Kobe Bryant, by contrast, played poorly through most of the series, scoring 22.6 a game on just 38 percent shooting. His success rate from behind the three-point line — where he tried his chances with regularity — was just 17 percent.

What's more, the Lakers' decision flew in the face of conventional wisdom, which regards the great big man as basketball's most rare and important commodity. Of course, by then the Lakers had dispatched with most forms of wisdom, conventional or otherwise. Kobe Bryant was sick and tired, in the words of his then and again coach, of being "a sidekick" to O'Neal. Hence, owner Jerry Buss, who loved Kobe more than he loved Shaq, exiled the big man. O'Neal went on to win a championship in Miami while the Lakers were left to perfect their skills at damage control, such as the aforementioned disclaimer Kupchak issued to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Now Kupchak — for whom Kobe's wishes are commands — faces banishment with but a year left on his contract. The other day Bryant informed the Los Angeles Times, yet again, of his displeasure with the way things have gone — or not gone, actually — this off-season. Kobe is just crazy about former Lakers GM Jerry West.

"I trust him completely," says Bryant, who doesn't want "people believing me to be bashing anybody. Mitch is a great guy."

Shaq did his part in the 2004 finals. And then Kobe got him traded. Mitch a great guy? In this town, that's a benediction for the walking dead.

Of course, as Kobe likes to say, he has no real power. "All I can do is offer my thoughts," he tells the Times.

Besides, there are greater concerns out here than Mitch Kupchak. Residents of Los Angeles are experiencing a kind of mass sympathy pain, as Bryant is up against his biological clock. At 28, he has already played 9,000 more minutes than a comparably aged Michael Jordan. Though this comparison neglects the several seasons Jordan spent in college, the point is well taken. Kobe is judged in relation to Jordan.

The old Jordan Rules pale in relation to the Kobe Rules. Phil Jackson, who coached them both, once wrote that he'd never seen anybody receive more "allowances" from management than Bryant, who even whined about the aircraft the Lakers helped provide him with during hearings for the rape case that was eventually dropped.

Bryant is the most talented player in the game, and often the most exciting. But unlike Jordan, he's not the best, nor does he seem to make his teammates much better. This past season was a terrible disappointment for the Lakers. They had their injuries, but they are not bereft of talent, and with a playoff spot on the line, they managed to lose 8 of their last 12 games. That wouldn't happen with a Jordan team. Jordan could be calculating and cruel, but he commanded the respect and awe of his teammates in Chicago.

The reverence for Kobe is more prevalent among the Buss family than it is in the locker room. Kobe gets what Kobe wants — even if he can't admit to wanting it.

So here he is with a team of his very own, and not much that can be done with it. Bryant makes almost $18 million a year. Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown — both coming off surgery — will take down more than $20 mil combined next season.

That's not to say there's no hope. After all, Jackson — who once vowed to leave unless Kupchak traded Kobe — was convinced, at the rate of $10 million per annum, to return to the Laker fold. So maybe Jerry West would come back, too, ace out his former protιgι, and make everything better.

Already, I can see Kobe's plan manifest itself. With West in place, Bryant could suggest that he really misses his old pal Shaquille.

Eventually, there'd be a big press conference to "welcome home" the big guy.

Jerry West would deny that Kobe had anything to do with it.

CelinaCatFan
05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
I would make the deal in a heartbeat and I've been a Dirk fan for some time. Nowitzki has proven his lack of leadership and big game presence in the Miami series last year and against Golden State this year.

Give me Kobe. I love his "attack the basket" attitdue and pure scorer mentality. We certainly know he is always up for the big game and doesn't know the word "fear." We also could certainly use Kobe's defense (especially on the perimeter).

Surround Kobe with Howard, Terry, Harris and crew. Bryant would love it. He wants the ball and none of the supporting cast are preoccupied with stats.

Message to Mark Cuban: Call the Lakers immediately!

kepdawg
05-29-2007, 08:06 PM
If it was a head up deal, Dallas still needs to replace Dirk and find an inside presence!

1 Terry/Harris
2 Kobe/Terry/Stack

3 Howard/Stack
4 Croshere/Mensah-Bonsu

5 Diop/Damp

SintonFan
05-29-2007, 08:07 PM
It'll never happen. Kobe passed up the chance to play in San Antonio and several more rings.:p

CelinaCatFan
05-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Dallas would most likely use the mid level exception on a PF or try to make a package deal with their 3 second round picks this year.

Old Tiger
05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Wow one player that can't win it all for another. Yes I know Kobe has titles but that was when Shaq was a Laker and since then....none!

Txbroadcaster
05-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Wow one player that can't win it all for another. Yes I know Kobe has titles but that was when Shaq was a Laker and since then....none!

And Jordan never won a title without Pippen..but would you not have taken Jordan without Pippen?

big daddy russ
05-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
There's no such thing as a player who could win it all on his own. I measure Kobe's value (and the value of a supporting cast) by comparing how good each team would be if you took the star of each NBA team off his team vs. how good they are right now. Look at how you think each team would stack up on paper, then imagine if they played a season like that.

The Lakers would be on about the same level as the Celtics (without Paul Pierce) if they didn't have Kobe. They'd easily be one of the five worst teams in the league.

LAKERS (sans Kobe)
PG: Smush Parker... Shammond Williams
SG: Jordan Farmar... Sasha Vujacic
SF: Luke Walton... Devean George
PF: Lamar Odom... Ronny Turiaf... Brian Cook... Vladimir Radmanovic
C: Kwame Brown... Andrew Bynum... Chris Mihm

I'd put 'em right there with these teams as the five worst.

HAWKS (sans Joe Johnson... I don't know the whole depth chart for Atlanta, just the starters and key role players)
PG: Speedy Claxton... Tyronn Lue
SG: Josh Childress... Salim Stoudemire
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Marvin Williams... Shelden Williams
C: Zaza Pachulia

CELTICS (sans Paul Pierce)
PG: Rajon Rondo... Delonte West... Allan Ray
SG: Gerald Green
SF: Wally Szczerbiak
PF: Al Jefferson... Ryan Gomes
C: Kendrick Perkins... Theo Ratliff

BOBCATS (I'm taking out Emeka Okafor, but you could make a similar case for Gerald Wallace)
PG: Raymond Felton
SG: Matt Carroll
SF: Gerald Wallace
PF: Sean May??? (he's still with Charlotte, right?)
C: Primoz Brezec

MILWAUKEE (sans Michael Redd)
PG: Mo Williams
SG: Charlie Bell
SF: Ruben Patterson
PF: Charlie Villanueva
C: Andrew Bogut

In my opinion, those would be the five worst teams in the league. Sure, Cleveland and Sacramento would be right there, but these are the worst.

And if you look at the rosters of these teams there's one huge thing that separates the Lakers from every one of these teams except Milwaukee... a very strong core of young players. Bynum and Farmar will be good, but nothing great. Walton's overrated and is merely an above-average shooter who only has a job because the NBA now allows zone defenses, Kwame Brown has tons of talent but doesn't have the hoops IQ to put it to use, and I actually think (as sad as it is) that Ronny Turiaf will wind up being better than everyone I just mentioned except Bynum.

Meanwhile, Atlanta, Charlotte, and especially Boston have loads of youngsters who will not only be key contributors (only Farmar and Turiaf fall into this category for the Lake show) in the future, but also All-Stars (possibly... POSSIBLY... Bynum) as they develop.

But, like somebody said, you can only have so many perimeter scorers with no real inside threat or playmaker. Maybe Devin Harris will develop into a playmaker, but Dallas would have to rely on their perimeter players getting into the lane in order to get their points around the rim.

I know Dirk isn't purely an inside scorer, but he's so talented that he can score from wherever he wants. If the Mavs could get a legit inside scorer, though, and still land Kobe then I'd say do it. Darko Milicic (even though he needs a little more refinement) and Chris Wilcox may be available cheap, so they have options.

jason
05-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They just need to find a way to get Kobe without trading Dirk $$$,$$$,$$$.$$

Gobbla2001
05-29-2007, 10:33 PM
neither of these players are going anywhere until they get older and aren't the hot thing anymore...