PDA

View Full Version : Swim lessons in So. TX (OT)

maroogreen
05-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm asking for help. I have a 7-year-old son who is terrified to swim. My husband did a number on him a couple of years ago, unintentionally. My husband, who is a fantastic swimmer, was trying to explain to my son why it was so important to learn to swim . So he told him about how he drowned when he was 6 and had to be rescucitated. DH meant well, but telling a 5-year-old about drowning was not the best idea ever.

He is now terrified of drowning and will not go near a swimming pool without floaties or a life jacket. I've even tried shaming him about wearing floaties in front of his friends and he truly doesn't care.

A man named Mr. Hickman in Beeville taught me to swim. He was frightening, but I learned to swim despite my best intentions not to. I'm still not overly fond of the water, but can save myself and a child if necessary.

If anyone has any names of someone that can teach hardcore cases to swim, please post or send to me directly. We live in Cuero, but I have ties in the Corpus area as well so any of those surrounding areas would be fine. I'm willing to travel to find someone who can work magic.

Phil C
05-27-2007, 08:33 AM
My oldest son was taught by a fantastic young lady in Sinton a few years ago but she is no longer here. At the time my son was about 5 and she was a college student working in the summer. What I think might work if you could find someone like that maybe one on one (private lessons). Both parents and family friends not being around is a must. But the catch is to find another young lady like that to teach him. Of course your situation is reversed because my son isn't afraid of the water.