PDA

View Full Version : Dnr

smustangs
05-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I just learned today that parents of children can give a school a DNR which is do not resucitate orders. So if an emergency situation happens as a teacher you can not attempt to resucitate the child or call EMS. This just simply pisses me off its like murder or negligence to me. However, if you go against the DNR orders you can face legal action. If I am every in that situation send me to jail for saving the kids life if you ahve to. Thats the biggest load of crap I have ever read or heard. What do yall think about it?

luvhoops34
05-25-2007, 09:38 PM
In the first place, as a teacher and not a doctor or trained medical professional, how in the hell would you know if they were beyond medical help or not??

luvhoops34
05-25-2007, 09:39 PM
And who in their right mind would sign a DNR on their kid??? We're talking about kids not old people.

luvhoops34
05-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I signed a DNR on my first husband. It was absolutely the HARDEST thing I have ever done in my whole life.

smustangs
05-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
In the first place, as a teacher and not a doctor or trained medical professional, how in the hell would you know if they were beyond medical help or not??

its not if there beyond medical help necessarily, as long as resucitation is required if a dnr is on file or signed you are legally bound to not resucitate that child

smustangs
05-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I signed a DNR on my first husband. It was absolutely the HARDEST thing I have ever done in my whole life.

i imagine i am sorry

smustangs
05-25-2007, 09:43 PM
And who in their right mind would sign a DNR on their kid??? We're talking about kids not old people.

exactly and like i said put me in the situation and send me to jail or sue me but i refuse to sit and watch someone die knowing i can save them or atleast try to.

WOS87
05-25-2007, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by smustangs
So if an emergency situation happens as a teacher you can not attempt to resucitate the child or call EMS.

You should ALWAYS call EMS.... there's nothing in a DNR order that says you shouldn't call for help.

The situation of a teacher having to withhold CPR from a child in a regular school classroom due to a DNR order would almost never come up. A minor cannot have a DNR executed for them unless they are diagnosed with an irreversible, fatal condition (i.e. end-stage cancer, congenital brain abnormalities, genetic defects, etc). In all of these cases the child either would be too ill to go to school or they would not have the mental capacity to. I suppose it is possible that a teenager with a disease like cystic fibrosis could have a DNR but if that were the case, they would have an ID bracelet on, and every authority in the school would be aware of it. Actually, I think there was a episode of "ER" about just that. The kid was tired of suffering and wanted to die, the family disagreed, but the doctor followed the kid's wishes and didn't resuscitate.

from the Texas Health Code:

§ 166.085. EXECUTION OF OUT-OF-HOSPITAL DNR ORDER ON
BEHALF OF A MINOR. (a) The following persons may execute an
out-of-hospital DNR order on behalf of a minor:
(1) the minor's parents;
(2) the minor's legal guardian; or
(3) the minor's managing conservator.
(b) A person listed under Subsection (a) may not execute an
out-of-hospital DNR order unless the minor has been diagnosed by a
physician as suffering from a terminal or irreversible condition.