PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on having a 6a

ThaRealBulldog
07-19-2003, 10:35 PM
6a I think is a good idea. It would eliminate this div 1 div 2 crap so there would be one state champ. Is there any chance this could happen?

Old Tiger
07-20-2003, 12:04 AM
I agree w/ you on this one.

WeAreCCB
07-20-2003, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I agree also. I'm sick of there being two divisions of state champions.

PhiI C
07-20-2003, 07:23 AM
What is wrong with having two divisions? It gives more teams a chance to get into playoffs and have some glory! Plus it makes money for the UIL which also benefits the kids. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Chief Woodman
07-20-2003, 08:27 AM
If we were to follow Phils logic to the end, then there is nothing wrong with EVERY team making the playoffs and having four state champs in each classification. Heck, just let everyone be the state champ. The only way a playoff system make any logical sense is for there to be 1 state champ for 1A, 2A, 3A etc. As for what we think about a 6A, it really does not matter. Not unless you have some influance on the UIL that no one else seems to have.

sinton66
07-20-2003, 10:42 AM
I think it is possible to come up with a plan that would level out the playing field using six major classifications and a six-man class (total of seven divisions). Logistics is the main bugaboo with this scenario. Ideally, each classification would have only a double figure from the starting point (example: 3A goes from 350-700). What could happen to accomplish this, the UIL could utilize a logistics program in addition to their numbers. To make it work, they would have to work around long distances with pre-determined neutral sites for some games. So, they would pass down the numbers for each classification as well as a list of pre-determined games and sites. The coaches would then have to work the rest of their schedules around the pre-determined games. An example of this would be something like two teams are scheduled to play in week six at Sinton because it is a logistical neutral site, Sinton would have to have an away game scheduled that week.

I'm sure this has never been tried before, but with the power of computer programs these days, I think it might work. What do the rest of you think?

wildstangs
07-20-2003, 01:34 PM
I am not a fan of the 6A idea, currently. It would be rough on my team, Sweetwater. Most likely we would be forced back into 4A, with schools such as Brownwood, Stephenville, Frenship and other decent size 4A's. Sweetwater was recently named "The fastest shrinking town in Texas." So it would not be to our benefit to add 6A.

true_blue_tiger
07-20-2003, 09:22 PM
that's not exactly the award I'd be shooting for, but........ I'm indifferent to the idea of havin a 6A. Shoot, go back to the old format, where only the district champ goes to the playoffs, or maybe the top 2. But then, being from district 12-3A, my boys could wind up at the casa during playoff time. Also look at that district with Burnet, Bandera, other team??

VWG
07-21-2003, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing another division being set up, as I think that there are too many teams in the playoffs as it is. I would like to see it go back to two teams per district, and create a 6A to even out the disparity between enrollment. Schools that are playing other schools with almost 3X as many kids is ridiculous. I think that this would have as much an effect on more teams in the playoffs than going to 4 teams per district.

kaorder1999
07-21-2003, 09:34 PM
love the idea...............

Matthew328
07-22-2003, 12:36 PM
6A would be great....although I don't see it happening for a while...what could happen is 4 teams in the playoffs and possibly going to a 128 team bracket....and the district champ getting a home game in bi-district..