PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Julia!

kepdawg
05-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Five-year-old girl a life saver
By Ken Studer
Herald Democrat

Five-year-old Julia Bullard of Pottsboro was put on the spot Monday when her grandmother needed emergency medical treatment, and she was the only one in the house.

Julia’s grandmother, Carol Adams, was sitting with Julia on Monday, as she does everyday, while her daughter Amanda Bullard works. Julia said her grandmother was walking into the kitchen to wash dishes, when she passed out and fell to the floor. For anyone, this would be a terrifying situation, but for a 5-year-old girl, it had to be even more frightening. Julia had seen her granny pass out before and was told by her mother that it was insulin shock.

“She (Julia) had asked a couple of times, when I was dropping her off, what should she do if her granny went into insulin shock when she was with her. I explained to her how to dial 911 and what to tell them. She has seen her eat certain things to bring her sugar back up, so she knew that,” said Amanda.

Julia said, “I looked for the chocolate syrup, but there wasn’t any. I got a jar of jelly and was trying to get the lid off. I couldn’t so I called for help. I told them my granny was in insulin shock and she needed help.”

Amanda said she received a call from her mom telling her she passed out and was on the floor, and she needed to turn around and come back.

“I called 911 from my cell on the way and they said someone was already there. I thought my mom had strength enough to call them too. When I arrived at her house I saw the paramedics were already there. When they got finished with my mom, the paramedics told Julia what a good job she did and asked how old she was. I didn’t know she had called until that moment,” said Amanda. “I am so surprised that she remembered what I told her because it had been a year ago, and I’ve never gone over it with her since then.”

Amanda said Julia has been taught never to talk to strangers and holds to that rule constantly. She said that is another reason she was so surprised because when she called 911, she was able to give them all the information they needed to send help. Amanda said another thing she has been taught is to always look through the curtains to see who is at the door before opening it.

Julia said she looked through the curtains before opening the door, but was really afraid that strangers would come in when she opened it.

Adams ended up with a knot on the head and scrapes on her elbows and knees from the fall. She said she was most afraid when she heard Julia trying to open the door, but there was nothing she could do to get to her. “I was afraid she was panicking and trying to run out. The next thing I knew, the paramedics were there,” said Adams.

Amanda said, “I am really proud of her. She did everything right and really did a good job. It pays to teach your children what to do in those kinds of situations.”