PDA

View Full Version : Judah confident he can dethrone unbeaten champ Cotto

DU_stud04
05-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Zab Judah, the former undisputed welterweight world champion coming off a one-year ban after sparking a riot in the ring, is confident he will take the crown from unbeaten champion Miguel Cotto on June 9.

The 29-year-old US southpaw will face the Puerto Rico powerhouse here at Madison Square Garden on the eve of the National Puerto Rican Day parade, with Judah bragging he will be the grand marshall of the march after beating Cotto.

"Come June 9 there will be a changing of the guard," Judah said Wednesday. "If he had three arms in this fight, it wouldn't help him."

Judah, 34-4 with 25 knockouts, had a no-contest declared last month in the first round of his comeback bout after serving a one-year ban following his role in a riot during the 10th round of a 2006 fight with Floyd Mayweather.

Judah's low blow and punch to the back of Mayweather's head brought a one-year ban from Nevada officials after he dropped a 12-round decision to his US compatriot. He had already lost his crown to Carlos Baldomir.

"It's not how you lose. It's how you come back. You have got to come back and come back strong," Judah said.

"The only time I get beat is when I beat myself. They unjustly took my money, took my job. Now I'm going to show the world I'm the best pound for pound.

"I'm older. I'm confident. I'm very focused. You're going to see a new Zab Judah. Cotto, I've got nothing against him. But he is the first foe of the new Zab Judah and he will get destroyed."

Judah said he spent 11 months in the gym training for his chance to return to the ring.

"A month after I got suspended I got back in the gym. I kept training. I stayed focused," Judah said. "It made me stronger, more confident. I stayed focused. It made me a more dangerous fighter."

Cotto, 29-0 with 24 knockouts, owns the World Boxing Association title after jumping from the super lightweight ranks.

"Cotto is a very good fighter," Judah said. "He's confident. He's strong. He comes forward. He's a good champion. I have a lot of respect for him. But we have to do what we have to do.

"Cotto is going to put is back where we belong, at the top in place for Floyd Mayweather one more time."

Judah's goal is to earn a rematch against Mayweather, who said after beating Oscar de la Hoya earlier this month that he plans to retire.

The split decision victory by Mayweather, 38-0 with 24 knockouts, was the biggest moneymaking bout in boxing history, making rivals such as Judah hungry for a piece of the pie from future bouts.

"Floyd and de la Hoya was a dance contest. You'll see a real fight June 9," Judah vowed. "Give me Mayweather one more time. That's all we want. Bring him."

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
Zab Judah, the former undisputed welterweight world champion coming off a one-year ban after sparking a riot in the ring, is confident he will take the crown from unbeaten champion Miguel Cotto on June 9.

The 29-year-old US southpaw will face the Puerto Rico powerhouse here at Madison Square Garden on the eve of the National Puerto Rican Day parade, with Judah bragging he will be the grand marshall of the march after beating Cotto.

"Come June 9 there will be a changing of the guard," Judah said Wednesday. "If he had three arms in this fight, it wouldn't help him."

Judah, 34-4 with 25 knockouts, had a no-contest declared last month in the first round of his comeback bout after serving a one-year ban following his role in a riot during the 10th round of a 2006 fight with Floyd Mayweather.

Judah's low blow and punch to the back of Mayweather's head brought a one-year ban from Nevada officials after he dropped a 12-round decision to his US compatriot. He had already lost his crown to Carlos Baldomir.

"It's not how you lose. It's how you come back. You have got to come back and come back strong," Judah said.

"The only time I get beat is when I beat myself. They unjustly took my money, took my job. Now I'm going to show the world I'm the best pound for pound.

"I'm older. I'm confident. I'm very focused. You're going to see a new Zab Judah. Cotto, I've got nothing against him. But he is the first foe of the new Zab Judah and he will get destroyed."

Judah said he spent 11 months in the gym training for his chance to return to the ring.

"A month after I got suspended I got back in the gym. I kept training. I stayed focused," Judah said. "It made me stronger, more confident. I stayed focused. It made me a more dangerous fighter."

Cotto, 29-0 with 24 knockouts, owns the World Boxing Association title after jumping from the super lightweight ranks.

"Cotto is a very good fighter," Judah said. "He's confident. He's strong. He comes forward. He's a good champion. I have a lot of respect for him. But we have to do what we have to do.

"Cotto is going to put is back where we belong, at the top in place for Floyd Mayweather one more time."

Judah's goal is to earn a rematch against Mayweather, who said after beating Oscar de la Hoya earlier this month that he plans to retire.

The split decision victory by Mayweather, 38-0 with 24 knockouts, was the biggest moneymaking bout in boxing history, making rivals such as Judah hungry for a piece of the pie from future bouts.

"Floyd and de la Hoya was a dance contest. You'll see a real fight June 9," Judah vowed. "Give me Mayweather one more time. That's all we want. Bring him." judah is a punk and this fight will be him running around like mayweather and corey spinks giving a one hit and run style which it seems boxing has become. more about looking good and not getting hit then squaring up. Hopkins and Wrigth aren't the best fights to watch but they stand in there and counter. Mayweather did a lil bit of it with delahoya but how much of that was just getting cornered in the ring?

DUKE22
05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Jab has his moments. He usually looks really good or really bad. The first few rounds with Mayweather he looked great, and then faded. Looked good against Spinks when he knocked him out, of course he looked like crap against Baldomier. Cotto is a pretty good fighter that hammers the body really well. However he did not look good in his last fight at all. This could go either way I think it will be a good one.

BTEXDAD
05-24-2007, 11:23 AM
not to hijack a boxing thread, but Chuck "Iceman" Liddell goes up against Quentin "Rampage" Jackson this Saturday night in Ultimate fighting.
Jackson is only person who has beaten Liddell that Liddell hasn't come back and beaten in the return match, at least not yet.
Liddell says he'll knock Jackson out in the first round, while Jackson says he'll kick Chuck's a**.
Should be a good one.

DU_stud04
05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
judah is a punk and this fight will be him running around like mayweather and corey spinks giving a one hit and run style which it seems boxing has become. more about looking good and not getting hit then squaring up. Hopkins and Wrigth aren't the best fights to watch but they stand in there and counter. Mayweather did a lil bit of it with delahoya but how much of that was just getting cornered in the ring? hopkins is one of my favorite fighters..... i cant wait for his next one against winky.

never seen judah fight so i cant say much about him.

james toney fights tonight.

DU_stud04
05-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
not to hijack a boxing thread, but Chuck "Iceman" Liddell goes up against Quentin "Rampage" Jackson this Saturday night in Ultimate fighting.
Jackson is only person who has beaten Liddell that Liddell hasn't come back and beaten in the return match, at least not yet.
Liddell says he'll knock Jackson out in the first round, while Jackson says he'll kick Chuck's a**.
Should be a good one. UFC :mad:

as long as it stays off the mat i dont mind it, id like to see liddell get his revenge(dont let my boxing buddy's hear that i said that.)

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
UFC :mad:

as long as it stays off the mat i dont mind it, id like to see liddell get his revenge(dont let my boxing buddy's hear that i said that.) liddell hassn't been taken to the mat since he last lost i believe to Couture

DUKE22
05-24-2007, 01:07 PM
hopkins is one of my favorite fighters..... i cant wait for his next one against winky.

never seen judah fight so i cant say much about him.

james toney fights tonight. Yeah Hopkins is a hell of a fighter a true hall of famer for sure. I dont know about the Winky fight. I am just not sure how exciting it will be. They are both so well schooled that it might be a bit boring. I hope it isnt and I say Hopkins will win a very close decision.

DU_stud04
05-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
Yeah Hopkins is a hell of a fighter a true hall of famer for sure. I dont know about the Winky fight. I am just not sure how exciting it will be. They are both so well schooled that it might be a bit boring. I hope it isnt and I say Hopkins will win a very close decision. i dont mind the "boring" fights, i see them as the true art of the sweet science

DU_stud04
05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
liddell hassn't been taken to the mat since he last lost i believe to Couture cool deal.

DUKE22
05-24-2007, 01:30 PM
i dont mind the "boring" fights, i see them as the true art of the sweet science Yeah I see what you are saying, if you watch Winky and Hopkins you will see some sweet science. Me I am an Arturo Gatti man. I like to see guys get after it, even if it means taking some punishment.