PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol and Biofuel Myth Exposed

Pudlugger
05-24-2007, 08:40 AM
The Many Myths of Ethanol
By John Stossel
Wednesday, May 23, 2007

No doubt about it, if there were a Miss Energy Pageant, Miss Ethanol would win hands down. Everyone loves ethanol.

"Ramp up the availability of ethanol," says Hillary Clinton.

"Ethanol makes a lot of sense," says John McCain.

"The economics of ethanol make more and more sense," says Mitt Romney.

"We've got to get serious about ethanol," says Rudolph Giuliani.

And the media love ethanol. "60 Minutes" called it "the solution."

Clinton, Romney, Barack Obama and John Edwards not only believe ethanol is the elixir that will give us cheap energy, end our dependence on Middle East oil sheiks, and reverse global warming, they also want you and me -- as taxpayers -- to subsidize it.

When everyone in politics jumps on a bandwagon like ethanol, I start to wonder if there's something wrong with it. And there is. Except for that fact that ethanol comes from corn, nothing you're told about it is true. As the Cato Institute's energy expert Jerry Taylor said on a recent "Myths" edition of "20/20," the case for ethanol is based on a baker's dozen myths.

A simple question first. If ethanol's so good, why does it need government subsidies? Shouldn't producers be eager to make it, knowing that thrilled consumers will reward them with profits?

But consumers won't reward them, because without subsidies, ethanol would cost much more than gasoline.

The claim that using ethanol will save energy is another myth. Studies show that the amount of energy ethanol produces and the amount needed to make it are roughly the same. "It takes a lot of fossil fuels to make the fertilizer, to run the tractor, to build the silo, to get that corn to a processing plant, to run the processing plant," Taylor says.

And because ethanol degrades, it can't be moved in pipelines the way that gasoline is. So many more big, polluting trucks will be needed to haul it.

More bad news: The increased push for ethanol has already led to a sharp increase in corn growing -- which means much more land must be plowed. That means much more fertilizer, more water used on farms and more pesticides.

This makes ethanol the "solution"?

But won't it at least get us unhooked from Middle East oil? Wouldn't that be worth the other costs? Another myth. A University of Minnesota study shows that even turning all of America's corn into ethanol would meet only 12 percent of our gasoline demand. As Taylor told an energy conference last March, "For corn ethanol to completely displace gasoline consumption in this country, we would need to appropriate all cropland in the United States, turn it completely over to corn-ethanol production, and then find 20 percent more land on top of that for cultivation."

OK, but it will cut down on air pollution, right? Wrong again. Studies indicate that the standard mixture of 90 percent ethanol and 10 percent gasoline pollutes worse than gasoline.

Well, then, the ethanol champs must be right when they say it will reduce greenhouse gases and reverse global warming.

Nope. "Virtually all studies show that the greenhouse gases associated with ethanol are about the same as those associated with conventional gasoline once we examine the entire life cycle of the two fuels," Taylor says.

Surely, ethanol must be good for something. And here we finally have a fact. It is good for something -- or at least someone: corn farmers and processors of ethanol, such as Archer Daniels Midland, the big food processor known for its savvy at getting subsidies out of the taxpayers.

And it's good for vote-hungry presidential hopefuls. Iowa is a key state in the presidential-nomination sweepstakes, and we all know what they grow in Iowa. Sen. Clinton voted against ethanol 17 times until she started running for president. Coincidence?

"It's no mystery that people who want to be president support the corn ethanol program," Taylor says. "If you're not willing to sacrifice children to the corn god, you will not get out of the Iowa primary with more than one percent of the vote, Right now the closest thing we have to a state religion in the United States isn't Christianity. It's corn."

John Stossel is an award-winning news correspondent and author of Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get Out the Shovel--Why Everything You Know is Wrong.

Be the first to read John Stossel's column. Sign up today and receive Townhall.com delivered each morning to your inbox.

©Creators Syndicate

Copyright © 2006 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

injuredinmelee
05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
thank you. Maybe my dad will believe this coming from someone besides me. I am about sick of his ethanol platform.

Macarthur
05-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, there was a time it seemed promising, but it's just not practicle.

IHStangFan
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
SO....when can I pick up my "Mr. Fusion" and start running my diesel off of trash? :D

Bull19
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
I DONT SEE HOW THIS WAS A MYTH????

ITS COMMEN SENSE THAT THE AMOUNT OF ENERGY PUT IN TO GET ETHANOL IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE OUTPUT WHEN ITS ALL SAID AND DONE......

JasperDog94
05-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Ethanol cost me 200 bucks in car repair because my car sensors don't recognize the way it burns. I was told there's nothing they can do about it at the dealership either.:mad: :mad: :mad:

JasperDog94
05-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
I DONT SEE HOW THIS WAS A MYTH????

ITS COMMEN SENSE THAT THE AMOUNT OF ENERGY PUT IN TO GET ETHANOL IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE OUTPUT WHEN ITS ALL SAID AND DONE...... Not according to the report.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-24-2007, 01:42 PM
You're just now finding out that ethanol costs more than gasoline or petroleum based fuels? I've known this for over a year now, maybe two. One thing I don't like about this article though is that it only attacks Democrats whenever it's Republicans and Democrats from both sides passing off this fallacy as fact.

Pudlugger
05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You're just now finding out that ethanol costs more than gasoline or petroleum based fuels? I've known this for over a year now, maybe two. One thing I don't like about this article though is that it only attacks Democrats whenever it's Republicans and Democrats from both sides passing off this fallacy as fact.

No, not just now and not just that it costs more either.
Ethanol:
Less energy production per gallon than gasoline
More greenhouse gases in growing the corn, harvesting it, producing and transporting the ethanol are released. I especially noted that ethanol will require trucks to transport rather than pipelines as is the case with gasoline.
Will drive up the price of corn and corn based food products (think meat, poultry, soft drinks, cereal, anything with corn meal or corn syrup in it, and of course tortillas).

Who benefits? Agribusiness and ethanol distillers and distributors, not the consumer.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
SO....when can I pick up my "Mr. Fusion" and start running my diesel off of trash? :D

Beware of Mr. Fusion. You can't go faster than 88 MPH, otherwise crazy stuff starts happening.:D

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 02:49 PM
You're just now finding out that ethanol costs more than gasoline or petroleum based fuels? I've known this for over a year now, maybe two. One thing I don't like about this article though is that it only attacks Democrats whenever it's Republicans and Democrats from both sides passing off this fallacy as fact. it was W. in brazil was it not?

JasperDog94
05-24-2007, 02:55 PM
One thing I don't like about this article though is that it only attacks Democrats whenever it's Republicans and Democrats from both sides passing off this fallacy as fact.

Originally posted by Pudlugger
"Ethanol makes a lot of sense," says John McCain.

"The economics of ethanol make more and more sense," says Mitt Romney.

Ummmmm.....what?:confused:

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 02:58 PM
i say this at least we are interested in alternatives, lets just use our brains in what we choose to invest our time, wealth and technology on.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Ummmmm.....what?:confused:

This was what I was referring to:

"Clinton, Romney, Barack Obama and John Edwards not only believe ethanol is the elixir that will give us cheap energy, end our dependence on Middle East oil sheiks, and reverse global warming, they also want you and me -- as taxpayers -- to subsidize it."

LH Panther Mom
05-24-2007, 05:24 PM

"Clinton, Romney, Barack Obama and John Edwards not only believe ethanol is the elixir that will give us cheap energy, end our dependence on Middle East oil sheiks, and reverse global warming, they also want you and me -- as taxpayers -- to subsidize it."
Do you know for a fact that Republicans are wanting the same thing? :confused: :thinking:

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Do you know for a fact that Republicans are wanting the same thing? :confused: :thinking: actually,
http://www.slate.com/id/2122961/
not really saying republicans but unless james woolsley and farmers vote liberal or democrat lmao:p

LH Panther Mom
05-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
actually,
http://www.slate.com/id/2122961/
not really saying republicans but unless james woolsley and farmers vote liberal or democrat lmao:p
I don't believe the "votes" anyway, if the same thing occurs in D.C. that happens in Austin. :mad: :p

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't believe the "votes" anyway, if the same thing occurs in D.C. that happens in Austin. :mad: :p well whatever suits your beliefs ;)

LH Panther Mom
05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
well whatever suits your beliefs ;)
Check 'em ;)

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 06:06 PM
checked ;):D thx for sharing

STANG RED
05-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
The Many Myths of Ethanol
By John Stossel
Wednesday, May 23, 2007

More bad news: The increased push for ethanol has already led to a sharp increase in corn growing -- which means much more land must be plowed. That means much more fertilizer, more water used on farms and more pesticides.

This is the only real problem I have with the article. These are already farms arent they? They are already being plowed, watered, and pest controlled.

I love getting good information, but I hate dis-information. Either report it the way it really is, or leave it alone.

Buccaneer
05-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Land is being pulled out of the CRP ( Conservation Reserve Proram) and put back into production.

Buccaneer
05-24-2007, 07:08 PM
The production of ethanol is energy efficient as it yields almost 25 percent more energy than is used in growing the corn, harvesting it, and distilling it into ethanol. The most recent findings show that corn ethanol fuel is energy efficient and yields an energy output:input ratio of 1.6. To get further details and view graphical representations of the energy balance picture, go to: Ethanol - The Complete Energy Lifecycle Picture (PDF 4 MB), developed by the U.S. Department of Energy

SintonFan
05-24-2007, 07:14 PM
John Stossel tells it like it is...:clap:

GreenMonster
05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
I want a hydrogen powered car. It's major by-product is water. Hydrogen makes up most of the atmosphere so there isn't much risk in us running out anytime soon. If you have a hydrogen spill so what, the EPA just won't have anything to complain about. Hydrogen has the potential to be piped into your home, much like natural gas, therefore you could fill up at home in your very own garage. Hydrogen is AWESOME!!

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Hydrogen is AWESOME!! http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/gerryg64/hindenburg.jpglmao j/k

SintonFan
05-24-2007, 10:55 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/gerryg64/hindenburg.jpglmao j/k
Looks like me at our local Mexican food restaurant later that night! ;)
Funny pic boog.:clap:

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Looks like me at our local Mexican food restaurant later that night! ;)
Funny pic boog.:clap: ;) nothing blows up the toilet like hot sauce

SintonFan
05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Gotta love "domestic methanol production".
Wait, maybe not.:o

smustangs
05-24-2007, 11:10 PM
;) nothing blows up the toilet like hot sauce

if you take hot sauce packets and fold them in half and set them under the seat its a great suprise for someone haha great dorm trick

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I love me some ethanol.

Emerson1
05-24-2007, 11:16 PM

If you don't like it, don't read it

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
if you take hot sauce packets and fold them in half and set them under the seat its a great suprise for someone haha great dorm trick used to do that in high school. crowded hall way, throw the packets in the middle of it. splat splat!

SintonFan
05-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I love me some ethanol.
I love me some Mexican food. But not the domestic production part of that. I want to outsource that and have never found any takers.:(

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 11:25 PM
I love me some Mexican food. But not the domestic production part of that. I want to outsource that and have never found any takers.:( india collects dung! thats why they don't kill their cows! ;) well that and religion

SintonFan
05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
india collects dung! thats why they don't kill their cows! ;) well that and religion
I never asked because they would have to use a catheter... that or I'd have to get someone else to chew my food for me.:eek:
No thank you, I guess I'll just buy more Beano.:cool:

DDBooger
05-24-2007, 11:34 PM
I never asked because they would have to use a catheter... that or I'd have to get someone else to chew my food for me.:eek:
No thank you, I guess I'll just buy more Beano.:cool: montezuma's revenge aka CHORRO

SintonFan
05-24-2007, 11:41 PM
montezuma's revenge aka CHORRO
Chorro=butweiper...:eek:

BILLYFRED0000
05-25-2007, 02:04 AM
I find disinformation distasteful. The simple truth is that Ethanol is a solution that we can grow here and it is not all corn ethanol.
The point is to reduce imports lower demand on fuel. It is not energy efficient as gas. But all the stats stated about how you produce ethanol is just silly. Oil starts out as a billion dollar geologists shopping nightmare. Then they find a promising site.
Then the drillers step in. Then it is pumped out of the ground.
then refined. then shipped to the gas station..... Now somebody tell me how growing corn is using up that much energy land and damaging the ecosystem any more than oil?????

Pudlugger
05-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I find disinformation distasteful. The simple truth is that Ethanol is a solution that we can grow here and it is not all corn ethanol.
The point is to reduce imports lower demand on fuel. It is not energy efficient as gas. But all the stats stated about how you produce ethanol is just silly. Oil starts out as a billion dollar geologists shopping nightmare. Then they find a promising site.
Then the drillers step in. Then it is pumped out of the ground.
then refined. then shipped to the gas station..... Now somebody tell me how growing corn is using up that much energy land and damaging the ecosystem any more than oil?????

The footprint of an oil well is a heck of a lot smaller than a 160 acre corn field. The oil can be refined for less energy than corn can be distilled gallon for gallon. Oil can be transported in pipes while ethanol must be trucked in presumably a vehicle powered by internal combustion of some sort of fuel, diesel most likely.

When ethanol can be produced from cellulose cheaply then it will be efficient. Recently some biologists developed a genetically modified fungi with death genes altered enabling the organism to withstand high temperatures produced in the decomposition of biomass. This is important because now the organisms responsible for decomposition die from the excess heat produced resulting in inadequate decomposition of the cellulose. With biomass and biodegradability enhanced perhaps ethanol can finally be produced cheaply from discarded plant material like corn stalks, wheat husks, beer mash, and sugar cane chaff.

BTW, Ms. Pudlugger, a student of Medieval literature and history gave me a similarly fascinating account of the economic, cultural and demographic effects from the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age just last night. No doubt that the Earth has warmed and cooled over relatively brief periods (in geologic terms of course) before and probably from variations in Sun spot activity. The effects of warming were essentially positive in the elevation of growing latitudes and migration of peoples to new lands and the cooling brought economic ruin and population disruptions in these same latitudes (i.e. Greenland and the Vikings, Northern England etc.). Man was not the cause of these climatic events and indeed was able to adapt quite well even 700 years ago. We shall do so again if need be. The folks leading this hysteria want to gain control over our economy and political systems plain and simple and we should not allow that to happen. Free market forces, not central economic planning (i.e. Communism) will provide solutions as we adapt.

BILLYFRED0000
05-25-2007, 07:27 PM
The foot print is smaller but the ecological
consequences are much higher. Clean up
maintenance, chemical contamination do not happen in a corn field not to mention the clean O2 produced by the corn field in the process which, oh BTW is completely ignored.

BILLYFRED0000
05-25-2007, 07:58 PM
One thing is clear. You cannot plant and process enough corn to make Ethanol the longterm answer. But as an additive and if we improved our engine tech to burn it a little better it would be a good mid term reliever while hydrogen engines are improved and an infrastructure put in place.